Fishing and your fishing set up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does the swivel size or type matter?

As for hooks,
No idea where to find Eagle Claw from, not sure what Mustad hook to go with from BCF, or go with one of the Kmart branded ones?

Sinker

Combo
Do I bother with the above used rods, or go for one of the below?

Opinions @belmore_utd @UmoGus @Alan79 @Bad Billy @south of heaven @EXORCIST
Swivels- Not a necessity. Only required if you want a running sinker (the sinker slides along the line and lets the bait and hook drift). Google running sinker set-up if you want a description and images. Not simple to explain. I prefer a smaller swivel when I use one as they're less visible to fish. But I mostly use a fixed sinker (no swivel) if bait fishing. If you are planning to use a lot of different lures, snap swivels let you change them without tying fresh knots every time. But different fishing set ups will require different things. Swivels are useful but you can get by without them.

Sinkers- Different situations require different weights and shapes. If you're fishing fast running water, go a bit bigger, still water requires less weight. The lighter the sinker you use the simpler it is to feel a bite in still water. But in running water, too light a sinker and you won't feel bites because the current will drag your rig around.

I didn't look at the used rods you posted. But you have pros and cons with telescopic rods.
Pros- Pack up small enough to store in small spaces even possible to leave one in the car without issues.
Cons- Joints can gather sand etc. Potentially multiple weak points with each joint which might retract while fighting a fish.

Personal preference these days is for 2 piece rods, but I have telescopic (with a few lures in my boot), a few two pieces and a couple of 1 pieces. 1 piece rods are good, but are a pain in the ass fitting in my car. More important than deciding on how many parts the rod is, decide on the strength of the rod. For a start I'd chase something that's recommended for 8-12 kg fish. Should do you for most shore based fishing.