Fine's sinbining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Refs are normally the nerds from back in school that never got a run and were picked on by the 'cool kids.

That's why they are such vermin on the field
Careful there boof. I know quite a few old refs and most of them are ex-cops who would eat you for breakfast even now. One of my current golfing mates was a FG ref in the 70's and he's a good bloke as well. By all means argue that they got decisions wrong but they have all spent their life actually doing something in league not reading about it and whinging.

Micko1979

Waterboy
Reaction score
Careful there boof. I know quite a few old refs and most of them are ex-cops who would eat you for breakfast even now. One of my current golfing mates was a FG ref in the 70's and he's a good bloke as well. By all means argue that they got decisions wrong but they have all spent their life actually doing something in league not reading about it and whinging.
Fair call Oats. (Lovely area, I grew up there, Letitia street, shame about it these days)

Maybe I was a bit harsh.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair call Oats. (Lovely area, I grew up there, Letitia street, shame about it these days)

Maybe I was a bit harsh.
Just playing mate. All good. Yep Letitia is great if you like home units...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If I knew Taumalolo was going to run at me I’d be offside too lol

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were a number of penalties inside the attacking zone against both sides leading up to it, but the ref has made us pay for the Cowboys penalties at the other end as well i feel. They actually did it MORE than us before we had a player binned. Wasnt very fair.
The funny part is if you watch the next set the dogs are even more offside than Fine was.... Its got corruption written all over it.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The refs are wanting to give multiple penalties in a row inside the 20 at the moment. Once a team concedes one on their line, it's almost certain at least 2 more will follow. Ref's are looking for any little reason to give penalties in a row in those situations.

Doesn't seem to be many tries scored during those runs of penalties though!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 5611 Just watching the replay as I had to watch the game last night on my phone. Seriously Fine is off side what 50cm? Seems like the ref made up his mind on the previous penalty that he needed to send someone. Then the second half he stopped caring and being 3 or 4 meters offside was fine.
You make a decent argument but all players have to do is put one foot on the line and he didn't. Sure he might of been offside 50cm but the onus is on the players. If Fine had a foot on the line I doubt he would have had less of an advantage. It's attention to detail and inexcusable penalties like this that can hurt any team. Sometimes we have to stop blaming the refs for rules that have always been there, it's just that this year they are being enforced more than previous.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You make a decent argument but all players have to do is put one foot on the line and he didn't. Sure he might of been offside 50cm but the onus is on the players. If Fine had a foot on the line I doubt he would have had less of an advantage. It's attention to detail and inexcusable penalties like this that can hurt any team. Sometimes we have to stop blaming the refs for rules that have always been there, it's just that this year they are being enforced more than previous.
The complaint isnt that it wasnt a penalty. It was. He was offside. The complaint is he got binned when cowboys actually had already given away more penalties near the line at the other end before that, and no action was taken then

Reactions: jof

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to penalise that, you could honestly blow 70 penalties a game.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the score at the time dictated the sin bin as an option. If it was 10 all or the cowboys were up by 6 then Fine doesn't go to the sin bin.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The ref that officiated our ISP was a lot worse...only reffed one side in ptb indiscretions. Anyone know his name? Hope he doesn't kick on cos he will rival the Suttons for caning us every game.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You also wonder about the potential influence of gambling on the game these days. Too many betting companies are involved with the game as sponsors.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You also wonder about the potential influence of gambling on the game these days. Too many betting companies are involved with the game as sponsors.
Never believed it’s an issue.

The worst thing for a gambling company and the industry as a whole is to get involved in shady stuff.. they make enough money as it is, they don’t need the extra coin by illegal means.

If they get caught, it means that company is fucked and likely the industry as a whole is done.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never believed it’s an issue.

The worst thing for a gambling company and the industry as a whole is to get involved in shady stuff.. they make enough money as it is, they don’t need the extra coin by illegal means.

If they get caught, it means that company is fucked and likely the industry as a whole is done.
If an investigation ever happens the current crop of referees would find themselves under buses in about 2 minutes and anyone higher up would just walk away unmarred by it. I'd guarantee it.

I had a mate that worked out the refs were blowing penalties to deny first tryscorer points back when Tandy got done (it was first pointscorer betting at the time). He made good money betting on the kicker at low odds because it was happening in most games. I'd assume that the agencies worked out that their trick had been spotted bgy a lot of people and Tandy was made a scapegoat.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If an investigation ever happens the current crop of referees would find themselves under buses in about 2 minutes and anyone higher up would just walk away unmarred by it. I'd guarantee it.

I had a mate that worked out the refs were blowing penalties to deny first tryscorer points back when Tandy got done (it was first pointscorer betting at the time). He made good money betting on the kicker at low odds because it was happening in most games. I'd assume that the agencies worked out that their trick had been spotted bgy a lot of people and Tandy was made a scapegoat.
the evidence of the time would indicate your mate was wrong. There have never been more than 1 or 2 teams before this year in any given year who went for the 2 points regularly as their first scoring option. Bennett and Bellamy are the only coaches who regularly used that option back then. We certainly didn't.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the evidence of the time would indicate your mate was wrong. There have never been more than 1 or 2 teams before this year in any given year who went for the 2 points regularly as their first scoring option. Bennett and Bellamy are the only coaches who regularly used that option back then. We certainly didn't.
I haven't researched the stats in regards to this, but my mate assured me that before Tandy and the small group of players implicated in the betting scandal got caught out that he was making good money regularly by backing goal kickers to score first points. Because the refs were giving out penalties in prime goal kicking positions before a try had been scored frequently enough that he thought it was more than coincidental. He said it wasn't foolproof because plenty of times teams would score early points before the penalty could be given away, but he told me he paid about 1/2 of his Pajero off using this betting strategy and that after Tandy was crucified in the media the strategy no longer worked. My friend is pretty honest and I have no reason to think he was making this up. He had no logical reason to make it up nor is he inclined to conspiracy theories.

It may seem like I've got the tinfoil hat on, but I'm not prone to jumping on board with conspiracy theories either. It's your choice whether you want to believe it. But I can't help seeing referees making an absurd number of one sided decisions these days. Quite often these one sided decisions will lead to strong teams being beaten by teams without a trace of recent form. Coupled with the fact that the NRL sponsorship deal draws a percentage of gambling takings and it raises my suspicions.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
The offside rule has always been there...The refs just never strictly enforced it untill now..

Cracking down will even the playing field for all clubs and will obviously result in players having to be fitter due to getting back to the line, and quicker off it.
Therefore guys like Eastwood will struggle

Not a fan of 10 in the bin though... Should be 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.