Opinion Finally Thompson stands up

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where people are getting this false information from about him not playing all year, ESL starts in January, he played 6 games for St Helens before the comp stopped as well as the world club challenge.

You're correct in terms of the standard and level of ESL which is what a lot of the criticism stems from, the fact that NRL is a different level.

I've been critical or Thompson at times (especially the storm game) but my criticism isn't really about him as a player (He's been solid without being spectacular), my criticism is around the way the board and Hill built him up and made him out to be a Bentley when in reality he's more of a Honda (nothing wrong with Hondas).

Overall I think he'll be a solid contributor but probably lacks the physical attributes to be the dominant power forward that Hill and Anderson sold him as.
Almost 4 months with no footy. Long time.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure where people are getting this false information from about him not playing all year, ESL starts in January, he played 6 games for St Helens before the comp stopped as well as the world club challenge.

You're correct in terms of the standard and level of ESL which is what a lot of the criticism stems from, the fact that NRL is a different level.

I've been critical or Thompson at times (especially the storm game) but my criticism isn't really about him as a player (He's been solid without being spectacular), my criticism is around the way the board and Hill built him up and made him out to be a Bentley when in reality he's more of a Honda (nothing wrong with Hondas).

Overall I think he'll be a solid contributor but probably lacks the physical attributes to be the dominant power forward that Hill and Anderson sold him as.
Calm down brother, he has just arrived and hasnt had a preseason.

There is a lot of weights to lift, sand dunes to run and chundering to compliment the training regime's

I dont know where you got Bentley from, as the only Bentley mentioned was from Dean Pay (Ponga style marquee)

It took the likes of James Graham, Burgess Bros, Adrian Morley, Gareth Ellis a couple of years getting climatised to the Aussie conditions of the NRL and Luke Thompson will be no different.

If you want to be critical of someone just for the fuck of it, which seems the norm on the kennel, start off with our strength and conditioning team at our club

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman had over 200m and more then 60 post contact metres, yet some still find a way to have a dig T him.
Not everything that can be counted, counts and not everything that counts can be counted....

It would be interesting to know how many of those metres were settlers in the opposition red zone . My guess is there's a lot.. those settlers are not hard yards and all they do is inflate his stats..

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Calm down brother, he has just arrived and hasnt had a preseason.

There is a lot of weights to lift, sand dunes to run and chundering to compliment the training regime's

I dont know where you got Bentley from, as the only Bentley mentioned was from Dean Pay (Ponga style marquee)

It took the likes of James Graham, Burgess Bros, Adrian Morley, Gareth Ellis a couple of years getting climatised to the Aussie conditions of the NRL and Luke Thompson will be no different.

If you want to be critical of someone just for the fuck of it, which seems the norm on the kennel, start off with our strength and conditioning team at our club
All good my man, the car metaphor is just that a metaphor, whilst I think Thompson has been solid and will be time be good, I ultimately don't think he'll be what Hill and Anderson made him out to be (best prop in the world). I hadn't thought of Gareth Ellis but I think that's probably the level of player Thompson can ultimately become in the NRL (different type of player I know).
In regards to the strength and conditioning staff, I remember a few years ago Ayoub was with the knights and when he left Nathan Ross openly said that Ayoub wasn't very good

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not everything that can be counted, counts and not everything that counts can be counted....

It would be interesting to know how many of those metres were settlers in the opposition red zone . My guess is there's a lot.. those settlers are not hard yards and all they do is inflate his stats..
Farkkkkkk you have a massive hard on for Tolman

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All good my man, the car metaphor is just that a metaphor, whilst I think Thompson has been solid and will be time be good, I ultimately don't think he'll be what Hill and Anderson made him out to be (best prop in the world). I hadn't thought of Gareth Ellis but I think that's probably the level of player Thompson can ultimately become in the NRL (different type of player I know).
In regards to the strength and conditioning staff, I remember a few years ago Ayoub was with the knights and when he left Nathan Ross openly said that Ayoub wasn't very good
Grimaldi and Harris as well

There time is up....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Farkkkkkk you have a massive hard on for Tolman
So you see a few numbers on a page and you see him constantly with his hands on the ball and you think he's great.. our team will finally able to evolve when he moves on.. mark my words moving him on will be the best thing that happens to our pack...

If you cannot identify how detrimental he is to our attack, then maybe you should take up spectating lawn balls, as it may be more your pace.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So you see a few numbers on a page and you see him constantly with his hands on the ball and you think he's great.. our team will finally able to evolve when he moves on.. mark my words moving him on will be the best thing that happens to our pack...

If you cannot identify how detrimental he is to our attack, then maybe you should take up spectating lawn balls, as it may be more your pace.
Our forwards have been playing as halves for years as we have consistently had shit halves.

Its the game plan which the players follow.

Value for money, Tolman offers more than a lot of our forwards.

No doubt, Jackson replaces Tolman up the middle next year, but the hate the bloke cops because of the way he has been told to play is ridiculous.

Its quite obvious you got no idea on the systems in place at Canterbury, and the way we have been playing for years now.

No doubt Barrett and co will go in a totally new direction.

Stick to rotors bro and leave the footy and V8's to the big boys

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our forwards have been playing as halves for years as we have consistently had shit halves.

Its the game plan which the players follow.

Value for money, Tolman offers more than a lot of our forwards.

No doubt, Jackson replaces Tolman up the middle next year, but the hate the bloke cops because of the way he has been told to play is ridiculous.

Its quite obvious you got no idea on the systems in place at Canterbury, and the way we have been playing for years now.

No doubt Barrett and co will go in a totally new direction.

Stick to rotors bro and leave the footy and V8's to the big boys
I know exactly what our systems are and having tolman in the team will ensure that it's difficult to remove. One of our club greats, Peter Tunks called tolman a stats hog on multiple occasions in the past.. but I guess he knows nothing hey .... It was actually Tunks that first alerted me to the fact a few years ago and then I made a habit of analysing it..

If Tolman is such a great player, where are all the clubs bashing down his door trying to get his signature?

On second thought maybe hit up chess.. lawn balls maybe a bit to frantic for you.. maybe you and tolman can be a team..

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They had pre season and started 2 months ahead if him. Thats 8 games to have match fitness.
Your completely right, first game he went well, last two games even better, unlucky not to have a try under his belt, the proofs in the pudding
Next season after a full off season training, top class coaches and management/rehab
Best prop in the world !!!!

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They had pre season and started 2 months ahead if him. Thats 8 games to have match fitness.
He played all the way up until March, there season actually starts in January so he had 7 games under his belt compared to everyone else who had 2 games also im pretty sure they do pre season in the UK. Yes he was 6 weeks behind when he got out of quarantine but people make it like he'd been sitting.on the couch all year

Last edited:

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This bloke hasnt had a pre season with us, he was brilliant last night, he also chased back Paulo when he made a break upfield. He ran hard and offered some go forward that we havent had all season, its no coincidence we shipped points when he came off and at 20-16 when he came back on we didn't concede anymore. People having a dig at 2 missed tackles, one of them tackles was him tracking back and he ended up in centre, the blokes a prop forward, the fact he was even in that position trying to stop a souths attack shows how hard he was working and how much he wanted to get a win. The other tackle was just a missed tackle, it happens, lets get over it, if people are going to pick up on one missed tackle that didnt even lead to us conceding, then you need to have a look at yourself. This lad has come in mid season from England, first game at prop and took it to an inform souths pack.
I fully agree with you , and I don't know if anyone noticed but in 2 second half we were 10m out from Souths line and he was charging at speed but the dummy half passed the ball to Tollman instead, had he given it to Thompson it would have been his first try 4 us under the posts, did anyone else notice it?

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I fully agree with you , and I don't know if anyone noticed but in 2 second half we were 10m out from Souths line and he was charging at speed but the dummy half passed the ball to Tollman instead, had he given it to Thompson it would have been his first try 4 us under the posts, did anyone else notice it?
Definitely would have scored !
I can’t believe all the shit Thompson get on this forum, hopefully he doesn’t have access to it,
Apparently he’s a really good kid, very humble, sets himself high standards and has a fantastic work ethic and is no loser on or off the park
We are so lucky to have him, can’t wait for next season it’s been along time coming