News Finally revealed - Are Ernie & Bert really gay?

Do you think Bert & Ernie are gay?

• Yes - not that there is anything wrong with that

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No - Why would puppets be gay?

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After nearly half a century it is finally revealed!

ARE they gay? There has long been speculation about two of Sesame Street’s favourite characters. Now it’s been settled.

DECADES of speculation over two of Sesame Street’s most famous characters — Bert and Ernie — is over.

One of the iconic show’s writers has revealed that they were indeed written as a gay couple.

Joining the Sesame Street team in 1984, Mark Saltzman told Queerty the two beloved characters reflected his own same-sex relationship with film editor Arnold Glassman at the time.

He said that he wrote them as a loving couple, and felt that he didn’t have any other way to portray them.

“I remember one time a preschooler (in San Francisco) turned to her mum and asked ‘Are Bert and Ernie lovers?’ and that, coming from a preschooler, was fun,” he said in the interview.

The pair were rumoured to written as a gay couple for years. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

“That got passed around, and everyone had their chuckle and went back to it.

“And I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were. I didn’t have any other way to contextualise them.”

The news had been a long time coming for many in the LGBT community who see Bert and Ernie as gay icons.

According to Pink News, after same-sex marriage was legalised in New York, fans of the show even set up a petition on change.org asking for the show’s creators to have Bert and Ernie get married on screen.

However, Sesame Street then released a statement in response, saying that the characters were “best friends” and were “created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.

“Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation,” the statement read.

The charismatic puppet pair also found themselves at the heart of a fierce debate about discrimination and religious beliefs in 2015, when a baker in Northern Ireland refused to bake a cake advocating gay marriage with their faces on it.

Mr Saltzman also told Queerty people at the time would himself and Glassman as Bert and Ernie.

Mr Saltzman said Ernie was based on him. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Limited

“Yeah, I was Ernie,” he said.

“I look more Bert-ish. And Arnie as a film editor — if you thought of Bert with a job in the world, wouldn’t that be perfect? Bert with his paperclips and organisation?

“And I was the jokester. So, it was the Bert and Ernie relationship, and I was already with Arnie when I came to Sesame Street.

“So I don’t think I’d know how else to write them, but as a loving couple. I wrote sketches … Arnie’s OCD would create friction with how chaotic I was. And that’s the Bert and Ernie dynamic.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/g...r/news-story/09fb5dd3bfc9e25cbd6ad2ce05267174

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the end of the day they are only puppets....but in real life I wanted to bang Gina ever since I was a kid ..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was always pretty obvious they were an old gray couple.

But they were the sort of couple that weren't flaming about it - just got on with life.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well Ernie, I wish you wouldn't eat cookies IN THE DAMN BED!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Two Male puppets who have beds in the same room how could they not be gay

But you know what sesame st has been around so long, many of us would have grown up with bert and ernie

As a kid not once did it cross my mind that they were gay or that they loved each other

It's a non issue

They're gay big deal

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
If this wasn't confirmed by Jim Henson or any of his family then it's just speculation.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why the hell are people just assuming Bert and Ernies gender. Maybe neither of them identify as male

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nah they aren't gay, they are like 2 blokes that shred together, go to Stereo together, and gym together.

They have a mad bromance going, but that's it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They do spend a lot of time with fists up their arses so...

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why the hell are people just assuming Bert and Ernies gender. Maybe neither of them identify as male
Quite offensive to the LGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGBAGDIABDHSIFBEUABFBAKDISBDBSKSJJJKKKKKKKKKKKAVXBSUSIDBAJSOFBSBDIFDBDBSKSODJFBDUSUDBDHSISOFBSHAIDOSNDBSHSISNXNSKSOSIDNDBDHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAOSODBSUSISNXYAYAKNCBSVSOSHDHDGSUSH+=_-&$(@'%*"}[>{|[<{^}¦§¶`^[^¿~~~~~~ Community.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After nearly half a century it is finally revealed!

ARE they gay? There has long been speculation about two of Sesame Street’s favourite characters. Now it’s been settled.

DECADES of speculation over two of Sesame Street’s most famous characters — Bert and Ernie — is over.

One of the iconic show’s writers has revealed that they were indeed written as a gay couple.

Joining the Sesame Street team in 1984, Mark Saltzman told Queerty the two beloved characters reflected his own same-sex relationship with film editor Arnold Glassman at the time.

He said that he wrote them as a loving couple, and felt that he didn’t have any other way to portray them.

“I remember one time a preschooler (in San Francisco) turned to her mum and asked ‘Are Bert and Ernie lovers?’ and that, coming from a preschooler, was fun,” he said in the interview.

The pair were rumoured to written as a gay couple for years. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

“That got passed around, and everyone had their chuckle and went back to it.

“And I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were. I didn’t have any other way to contextualise them.”

The news had been a long time coming for many in the LGBT community who see Bert and Ernie as gay icons.

According to Pink News, after same-sex marriage was legalised in New York, fans of the show even set up a petition on change.org asking for the show’s creators to have Bert and Ernie get married on screen.

However, Sesame Street then released a statement in response, saying that the characters were “best friends” and were “created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.

“Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation,” the statement read.

The charismatic puppet pair also found themselves at the heart of a fierce debate about discrimination and religious beliefs in 2015, when a baker in Northern Ireland refused to bake a cake advocating gay marriage with their faces on it.

Mr Saltzman also told Queerty people at the time would himself and Glassman as Bert and Ernie.

Mr Saltzman said Ernie was based on him. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Limited

“Yeah, I was Ernie,” he said.

“I look more Bert-ish. And Arnie as a film editor — if you thought of Bert with a job in the world, wouldn’t that be perfect? Bert with his paperclips and organisation?

“And I was the jokester. So, it was the Bert and Ernie relationship, and I was already with Arnie when I came to Sesame Street.

“So I don’t think I’d know how else to write them, but as a loving couple. I wrote sketches … Arnie’s OCD would create friction with how chaotic I was. And that’s the Bert and Ernie dynamic.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/g...r/news-story/09fb5dd3bfc9e25cbd6ad2ce05267174
And this is why I wanted to vote No.
Infiltrating children's developing minds

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
lol at the triggered snowflakes trying to argue with a guy that was involved with the actual creative development of the show and characters....whilst pretending not to care at the same time.

“Every day when I make my way to the tubby, I find a little fellow who’s cute and yellow and chubby....”

Bert was yellow. Rubber ducky was a thinly veiled metaphor. If you play the song in slow mo, you’ll actually hear subliminal messages telling you to join the rainbow parade.....”we want you....and I mean want you” lol.

Seriously, there are and have always been quite a few gay people in showbiz. I’ve believed they were probably that way inclined for a very long time. I think they were gay and have for done time, but rubber duckie jokes aside, it’s not like anyone but the most perceptive kids would have realised.

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So people are angry on Twitter that two puppets might or might no be gay ?
Fark me dead

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
And this is why I wanted to vote No.
Infiltrating children's developing minds
How dare they infiltrate young impressionable minds with ideas of tolerance when parents have worked so hard to cultivate their bigotry! :p

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol at the triggered snowflakes trying to argue
NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Triggered snowflakes are only leftys who read the daily terrorgraph because the terrorgraph and murdoch and his cronies are all hardened PC crusaders who stand up for the SJW!!!!!!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol at the triggered snowflakes trying to argue with a guy that was involved with the actual creative development of the show and characters....whilst pretending not to care at the same time.

“Every day when I make my way to the tubby, I find a little fellow who’s cute and yellow and chubby....”

Bert was yellow. Rubber ducky was a thinly veiled metaphor. If you play the song in slow mo, you’ll actually hear subliminal messages telling you to join the rainbow parade.....”we want you....and I mean want you” lol.

Seriously, there are and have always been quite a few gay people in showbiz. I’ve believed they were probably that way inclined for a very long time. I think they were gay and have for done time, but rubber duckie jokes aside, it’s not like anyone but the most perceptive kids would have realised.
This is the problem with advanced English courses and how it distorts your thinking.

Rubber duckies and rainbows have always been associated with childhood.. Gay's have hijacked them so no there is no hidden messages