Fifth and Last Podcast - Season 2021 Preview

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just thought I’d share this Podcast. Great footy minds and insights with weekly reviews and previews. Great follow.

The main reason why I’m sharing this is because one of the co-hosts is now with Mounties. He’s done a lot of work at the Tigers/ Panthers and now joined our ranks working under Mick Potter.

The Dogs preview comes around the hour mark if you want to skip to it. The whole podcast is worth a listen and a great follow throughout the season.

Highlights:

We’re looking fit AF - most of the players are 4-5kg lighter and leaner than last year.
Deitz was training with the reserve grade side all the way up to a few weeks ago, then Baz pulled him into first grade and he hasn’t been back down since. Paired with a solid showing in the trial and it won’t come as a shock if he’s in the 17 or there abouts.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’re pretty harsh on the club speaking as if they haven’t done enough in terms of recruitment not much more we could’ve done whilst I don’t think we’ll make the 8 I think we will show a lot more than what they gave credit for

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They’re pretty harsh on the club speaking as if they haven’t done enough in terms of recruitment not much more we could’ve done whilst I don’t think we’ll make the 8 I think we will show a lot more than what they gave credit for
Yeah I agree, however, I don't blame them as we haven't given pundits much to work with the past 3-4 seasons. I can definitely see us challenging a top 8 spot this season. I've got us above Manly, Broncos, Dragons, Tigers already, and then it's just competing against the Warriors, Sharks, Newcastle, Titans to be able to snag a top 8 spot.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I've got us above Manly, Broncos, Dragons, Tigers already, and then it's just competing against the Warriors, Sharks, Newcastle, Titans to be able to snag a top 8 spot.
That being the case book your tickets for September!
I think the Tits might go OK but think the Sharts and Noughts are overrated. Warriors will likely also struggle if they have to stay in Australia for 6 months under bio-security rules. Don’t get me wrong, a lot has to go right including a favourable injury run for us to make the 8 but how good would it be to make the finals in the first year of being free of the cap shackles...:-).

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We couldn’t have done much more in terms of recruiting because we only had a certain number of players off contract. They were all moved on and replaced. Next year will see some real movement on the recruitment front because we have half the squad off contract.

We already have 29 spots filled. It was literally impossible to do any more recruiting. I am sure we probably tried to move some contracted players on but there wouldn’t have been any takers (and rightly so)

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i like their frank assessment TBH.. no sugar coating ..

i may not necessarily agree, but i appreciate the honesty

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like this podcast, been listening to them the past couple of seasons. They've got a good understanding of the game having both been involved in playing/coaching in the junior systems. One of the brothers in particular is always pretty harsh on the Dogs.

Haven't got around to listening to this one yet, but will later for sure. So many NRL pods dropped new episodes the last couple of days.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One of the brothers in particular is always pretty harsh on the Dogs.
Yeah, Brock, who now works with Mounties, is always way harsher but has finally started to turn around. I guess coming on board and seeing the direction the club is going first hand has helped.

Reactions: jof

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
interesting take on Deitz, gun junior who had some injuries, will kill it with the new rules. training in the first grade squad, interesting.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The hype if Dietz is named for round 1 will be unreal on here :tearsofjoy:

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Brock, who now works with Mounties, is always way harsher but has finally started to turn around. I guess coming on board and seeing the direction the club is going first hand has helped.
He even seems pretty short with his brother sometimes and tends to talk over him at times. Bet he doesn't take much nonsense as a coach.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Been a fan of this pod since day dot. Brock played flegg/reggies way back with Easts and Lewis played 20’s with Raiders.

Know what they are talking about.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
They talk up the titans so much. They are the only reason I hate the titans so much.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Deitz needs to be added to the top 30 first. If he's added to the top 30 then the potential of Deitz starting heats up.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t see the point of rushing Dietz into the top 30 based on 20 mins of a trial game where most of the Sharks NRL players were off the field. Let him prove himself in reggies for a 6 weeks or so then think about it.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They talk up the titans so much. They are the only reason I hate the titans so much.
One of the hosts is a Storm fan, the other a Titans fan, so that's a given. I can see through the biases - we all have them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wasn't really a fan of how the host talks (I think he's someone I'd easily butt heads with) but after re-listening I only really disagree with his assessment on Doorey and taking a "risk" on someone like Piakura. I agree with Potter's assessment of how our season will go more than the host, I don't think we're expected to place well (around 14th is fair, I'd have us around 12th using my heart) but there's definitely some upside there if everything clicks and a few other rosters shit the bed.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you can get too caught on up on ladder positions when making predictions. There’s very little difference between 8th and 14th most seasons with 2-3 wins usually being the difference. A lot of that comes down luck in close games.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can get too caught on up on ladder positions when making predictions. There’s very little difference between 8th and 14th most seasons with 2-3 wins usually being the difference. A lot of that comes down luck in close games.
We are due some luck in close games. Last year we had zero luck in our tight losses. Combination of bad game management and refs having a preconceived idea of who should be winning the game