Fifth and Last Podcast - Season 2021 Preview

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are due some luck in close games. Last year we had zero luck in our tight losses. Combination of bad game management and refs having a preconceived idea of who should be winning the game
Yeah that Dragons game at Wollongong came to mind straight away reading your post it had a combination of both.

For and against will be huge too! Hopefully with some better attack a blow out score here and there won't be as damaging.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that Dragons game at Wollongong came to mind straight away reading your post it had a combination of both.

For and against will be huge too! Hopefully with some better attack a blow out score here and there won't be as damaging.
Especially late in the year we had no luck at all.

Rd 10 v Dragons we got that horror bounce from a kick when leading 24-12 that changed the game. Foran also went off at half time

Rd 12 v Eels we had a fair try disallowed when the ref didnt even bother to go to the video for an obstruction call. That was the only time I seen that happen all year. Tolman also took a tap from in front when we could have levelled at 18-18

Rd 14 v Tigers we had them covered at 28-22 and then Cogger went for a field goal. They get a 7 tackle set and score.

The losses against Cronulla, Titans and Warriors all could have went either way.

Even in the Souths game that we won they scored a try when the bloke ran out and in the Newcastle game they got 5 set re-starts in the last 10 minutes to help them get back in it.

Hopefully the refs get lost in T Baz's eyes and look more favourably on us this year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Especially late in the year we had no luck at all.

Rd 10 v Dragons we got that horror bounce from a kick when leading 24-12 that changed the game. Foran also went off at half time

Rd 12 v Eels we had a fair try disallowed when the ref didnt even bother to go to the video for an obstruction call. That was the only time I seen that happen all year. Tolman also took a tap from in front when we could have levelled at 18-18

Rd 14 v Tigers we had them covered at 28-22 and then Cogger went for a field goal. They get a 7 tackle set and score.

The losses against Cronulla, Titans and Warriors all could have went either way.

Even in the Souths game that we won they scored a try when the bloke ran out and in the Newcastle game they got 5 set re-starts in the last 10 minutes to help them get back in it.

Hopefully the refs get lost in T Baz's eyes and look more favourably on us this year
All of that happened but the team looked nervous holding a lead (especially when the clock was ticking down). You could see it in the decisions and body language of the players. There needs to be a mentality shift there and I think we've done everything possible we can to hopefully change that (a lot of positive change in general). If you have a not that great halfback and hooker it probably doesn't help either.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of that happened but the team looked nervous holding a lead (especially when the clock was ticking down). You could see it in the decisions and body language of the players. There needs to be a mentality shift there and I think we've done everything possible we can to hopefully change that (a lot of positive change in general). If you have a not that great halfback and hooker it probably doesn't help either.
Yep couldn’t agree more.

That’s what happens when you hire a front rower as a coach

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Titans to be fair do look big improvers and top 8 material..but also do not fuggen like them..or anyone come to think of it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s what happens when you hire a front rower as a coach
Kevin Ryan was front rower AND a coach at the same time (as well as captain).

If you are referring to Dean Pay he played most of his career at second row.

Go Dogs

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I don’t see the point of rushing Dietz into the top 30 based on 20 mins of a trial game where most of the Sharks NRL players were off the field. Let him prove himself in reggies for a 6 weeks or so then think about it.
I think if he isn't taking up our last spot in the 30 then he'd be worth the punt (I've seen talk on here that we've let a player go, but I'm not sure if anything has been confirmed). He only has to be better than JMK and Katoa to justify his inclusion, and yeah we've only seen 20 minutes, but if he has as much upside or more to his game than what we saw in the trial, then we are set in that department for this season at least (possibly more).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think if he isn't taking up our last spot in the 30 then he'd be worth the punt (I've seen talk on here that we've let a player go, but I'm not sure if anything has been confirmed). He only has to be better than JMK and Katoa to justify his inclusion, and yeah we've only seen 20 minutes, but if he has as much upside or more to his game than what we saw in the trial, then we are set in that department for this season at least (possibly more).
He's contracted to Mounties so he's not going anywhere except if we give him a upgrade.

I'd just like to see him show some consistency and see how he goes in a full game before throwing away a top 30 spot on him.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Ryan was front rower AND a coach at the same time (as well as captain).

If you are referring to Dean Pay he played most of his career at second row.

Go Dogs
Yes i was referring to Dean Pay

Dean played 184 career games. 58 in the second row, 101 in the front row and 25 off the bench.

So he didnt play the majority of his games in the second row.

I loved him as a player but i didnt think he was a good coach

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes i was referring to Dean Pay

Dean played 184 career games. 58 in the second row, 101 in the front row and 25 off the bench.

So he didnt play the majority of his games in the second row.

I loved him as a player but i didnt think he was a good coach
Cmon Howie leave the facts at the door please!

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
He's contracted to Mounties so he's not going anywhere except if we give him a upgrade.

I'd just like to see him show some consistency and see how he goes in a full game before throwing away a top 30 spot on him.
Mmm I'd personally still want us to take the risk (again provided he isn't spot number 30).

I don't quite know how the train-and-trial vs development contracts work at this point. We seem to have quite a few players on the T&T one's, so does it mean at a given point in the season we can have a larger squad than 30?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mmm I'd personally still want us to take the risk (again provided he isn't spot number 30).

I don't quite know how the train-and-trial vs development contracts work at this point. We seem to have quite a few players on the T&T one's, so does it mean at a given point in the season we can have a larger squad than 30?
They have pushed back the singing deadline to the end of August I think so having a couple of roster spots open could be very valuable.

I think the only difference between a T&T and development contract is the amount the player gets paid. The development players get $60k each whole the T&T players get paid from the NSW Cup cap.

Both T&T and development players are available for NRL after round 12.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
One of the hosts is a Storm fan, the other a Titans fan, so that's a given. I can see through the biases - we all have them.
It's not that there bias its just how he brags about there set up, the culture , there results . Well fuck me, we went on a run they year before it means shit. They have no culture, they have been broke and reformed 4 times. They have the Australian coach recruiting and paying overs for players. They were bidding against themselves for fuck sake trying to get fafita.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol. Its a slow arvo at work
You know you are going to cop some convoluted response how you are wrong, or he will pretend to say he was joking and that he was testing you..

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know you are going to cop some convoluted response how you are wrong, or he will pretend to say he was joking and that he was testing you..
Am looking forward to it.....

The point I was making is that generally I think front rowers dont make good head coaches. Of course there are exceptions. Tim Sheens comes to mind. Todd Payten is another.

But I have always liked halves as coaches. They always do more analysis and study more tactics during their careers than forwards do and I think that gives them a big advantage when they go into coaching.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I have always liked halves as coaches. They always do more analysis and study more tactics during their careers than forwards do and I think that gives them a big advantage when they go into coaching.
Especially the way the game is going. I think Barrett is going to work out to be a very shrewd appointment over the long run. Pay would have been even more out of his depth this season. Coaching styles like Haslers too is going to be more ineffective than ever this year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Especially the way the game is going. I think Barrett is going to work out to be a very shrewd appointment over the long run. Pay would have been even more out of his depth this season. Coaching styles like Haslers too is going to be more ineffective than ever this year.
Yep for sure.

One thing I will say in Pay's defence is that he didnt have adequate coaching support around him. He was a rookie coach and we surrounded him with rookie assistants.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yup

And if we were fit we would’ve won a few more games instead of tapping out early

Plus shit coaches

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep for sure.

One thing I will say in Pay's defence is that he didnt have adequate coaching support around him. He was a rookie coach and we surrounded him with rookie assistants.
Agree but it doesnt seem like he tried to go and support himself with an experienced coaching staff.
I know the shackles were on a bit more with the Andersons in town but I can't imagine them saying no to him if he asked to bring in Furner or Ferris or whoever if were possible. That is probably the inexperience in him as he didnt think or know that he could bring these kinds of people in to help.

Trent learned this the hard way at Manly and has set up a very complimentary coaching staff to suit him.