Fear and Loathing at Belmore - From the Couch: Round 15,2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m on the fence here... not in relation to the article but in relation to pay... I believe we shouldn’t be in the position we are in with only 3 games won. Don’t care what anyone says about our roster or the bs happening behind the scenes. We have decent enough players in the squad to have racked up more wins and pay knows it. He wouldn’t be so deflated in post match press conferences if he could see light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes we have overpaid players and over rated players but we still have s decent enough team to not be equal last. I believe if we had a more experienced coach at the helm we would be in a better position. I’m also not saying pay is a shit coach as we have only seen him in power for half a season. He might turn out to be a gun coach with just to much on his plate atm.

All I know from what we have seen so far pay is not the man to get us through this mess. His a rookie and he shouldn’t have signed with us and rather went to England where he was wanted. Get some experience there as top coach and then came back to nrl. He is another weird character to crack like Des was in relation to player selections and bench rotation. So my personal view from what we have seen so far pay needs to go. But from a board perspective I can see why they need to stick with him for the next year and half and see what he can come up with.
We have a good forward pack, decent outside backs but our spine is the worst in the comp by a country mile. Infact our spine will probably be the worst spine in the nsw cup comp.

Craig Bellamy will dead set look like the worst coach in the world with our spine. Just look at how Bellamy looked when he coached nsw with a shit spine. If Munster and smith were in our spine we would dead set win the comp with Pay as coach. My point is coaches cant do shit if your spine is terrible. Im actually think we are doing very well to have won 3 games with the spine we have im not even kidding. Deadset Mbye Frawley Foran/JMK Lichaa/JMK the spine is fucking laughable not even nsw cup standard. How the fuck did we actually win 3 games in the nrl is anyones guess. We need to reverse judgment on Pay until he actually has a decent spine to work with.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the start of the Season after the board upheaval I wrote in another thread the club, Coach & players had every excuse to fail. Would they take it?
You betta believe they did.
And your post & the article by Nick concern me as the excuses have already started for next season and the one beyond that and according to Nick the one beyond that.
"Anchored in the bottom 4 for 4 seasons"
Really, that is the reality we are all being told to accept?
What was the point in getting rid of Des then for fuck sake, oh and having to fork out $2m for the privilege?
I am beyond sick of the excuses being made and put forward that we have to accept failure as a fait-accompli.
Ok. Goodbye

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s put this into perspective.

Montoya, Olive, Frawley, JMK, Foran, Elliot, Lichaa, holland(maybe), Priest, Tolman(maybe), Fualolo, Eastwood, Tualau, Smith, Fine, Toomaga, Brown

How many of these 17 players would be regular first graders at another club?

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, all these guys who have there heads up Pay a$$ seriously are too emotionally involved with him.

If someone read there comments and hasnt seen roster they would honestly think we have a team of IPS players.

The reality is, we had the incumbent test front row, an orign 2nd rower who was talked about being captain for NSW.

An international half, and a 3/4 time of past origin and test players.

This team should not be 15th. That is the sad reality of it.

Sure, it is not a GREAT roster but it sure damn aint that bad.

Pay is way out of his depth, looks like he has no clue what he is doing.

On offense, absolutely NOTHING has changed...NOTHING. No new ideas, no new structures, NOTHING.

All talk, dogs of war, culture, blah blah all talk.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing ( but not holding my breath ) for the invitation given by Talkin Sports to be taken up by Hasler, Dib and Castle to come on air and give their side of the sorry story.......

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To everyone saying "Bellamy would look bad with this roster". Well maybe he would but we would at least see some sort of game plan and style of footy we would play down the line.

Seriously, does the way we play leave anyone with any confidence it will get better when Pay adds the players he wants?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
At the start of the Season after the board upheaval I wrote in another thread the club, Coach & players had every excuse to fail. Would they take it?
You betta believe they did.
And your post & the article by Nick concern me as the excuses have already started for next season and the one beyond that and according to Nick the one beyond that.
"Anchored in the bottom 4 for 4 seasons"
Really, that is the reality we are all being told to accept?
What was the point in getting rid of Des then for fuck sake, oh and having to fork out $2m for the privilege?
I am beyond sick of the excuses being made and put forward that we have to accept failure as a fait-accompli.
This year is a failure, yes. Next year? Perhaps, but not as bad as this year. The following 2? Hell no.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Montoya, Olive, Frawley, JMK, Foran, Elliot, Lichaa, holland(maybe), Priest, Tolman(maybe), Fualolo, Eastwood, Tualau, Smith, Fine, Toomaga, Brown

True that...but...one gets the sense that quite a few would be performing better if they were at more successful clubs....that is a massive worry.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's inherited an absolute shit fight. How can you expect any results out of him at all until next year or maybe even 2020?
Not really, he inherited woods and Foran who whether we like it or not are both marquee players plus the bulk of a formidable team who have played together for years.
A defensive dream TBH.
What we lacked was attack.. All this was openly disclosed to him prior to taking on the job of improving our attack.

Our attack is worse now than ever and so is our defence.. He needs to be accountable because he took on the job knowing the challenges

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My advise to all Bulldogs fans is don't support them. Why bother. I mean, the Dogs are a joke. When there is no-one in the stands, they might get serious. This is not the club I've supported for 50 years, since I went to my first game as a 10 year old. Just forget them and see what happens. The organisation has been taking the fans'goodwill for granted.F@#* them I say. Let them panic. See what its like. Really. For the power and money this club has, the last 3 years have been a disgrace. Go Giants!

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fifth tackle options come from your halves. Did you see Frawley and JMK's dud kicks on the weekend.
Is that Dean Pay kicking it out on the full? Is that Dean Pay kicking the ball dead? These guys have been playing footy all their lives, it's not Dean's fault these guys are spastics.
Do you think Brent Sherwin was taught by Folkes how to kick?
Kicking on the 5th should come naturally to these idiots.
If our kicking game was on point we would of won a few more games and be in the running for the top eight.

Hey Frawley...want to be a good kicker, do what Andrew Johns and Cooper Cronk used to do, practice kicking in your own time, extras....wanna be the best at something, keep doing it over and over until you master it...just ask the top halves what they used to do. Imagine how many extra points we would of scored had our kicking been on point.
Please don’t mention sherwin in any post with our halves now it’s very disrespectful towards Brent! Our halves now are Fucken rubbish

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What exactly do you expect from him? Miracles? There are a few that constantly bag him, but to be honest he has ingerited a rabble and sadly its just going to take time. For this reason he deserves to be given a fair hearing until things improve.
Yeah but what is a fair hearing?

I know he has problems to deal with, however it is how he is dealing with them that is concerning.

Everyone knows the plight we are in but we can't just give Pay two years under the radar without any scrutiny just because we are in a mess.

The side we have is better than wooden spooners.

From the start of the year we have gone backwards and very quickly. There are no signs of improvement.

What is Dean Pay's plan? What type of football does he want to play. Michael Ennis is right, all we see are block plays after block plays. There is nothing new. No new set plays.

I have a pretty strong feeling that even after a cleanout we will end up with the same shitty style of play. Remember where Pay come from, Ricky Stuart.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It just really blows my mind how many posters are quick to point their fingers at Pay. Players are simply not playing footy because all the uncertainty of letting players go has gotten in to their heads. These players don’t know if they will be with the club next year, all the shit in the media about our salary cap fiasco, seeing their teammate Mbye leave, rumblings of woods leaving, stories of medically retiring Foran, no contract offered to the Morris brothers etc. how do you expect these players to put in knowing the uncertainty of their playing futures, reserve grade halves, shit outside backs except the Morris s boys but they are aging, Tolman, Eastwood on big money not offering anything at all. A million dollar halfback in a wheelchair and all these so called players in isp like Toomaga etc who get belted when making the transition to first grade.

Sorry but I just don’t buy into the fact it’s all because of Pay. All you guys are doing is trying to find a reason why we are going shit and blaming poor old rookie coach pay to produce a miracle. Wake up and smell the coffee the whole lot of you, this is what you call a re-build you dopes, can’t you see the club is getting stripped back to its foundations and getting rebuilt, how the hell is Pay supposed to get the best out of these old overpaid hacks and these 21 year old isp players who don’t even know how to kick a footy and have nothing they should be looking at another career. Frawley makes Holdsworth look like Andrew Johns. How many of our players would actually make first grade at another club? Maybe 5 players if we’re lucky.

Pay may not be the greatest coach out there and maybe about 15% of our problems are from him, but 85% is the awful playing group we have.
So his bench rotation is not the best, and he doesn’t put Holland in for Montoya, and he didn’t play Martin the last two rounds, but that’s not a good enough reason why we’re stuck at the bottom of the ladder.

Then everyone starts telling us the souths coach who is rookie is killing it in his first year. Has anyone gone through the souths playing roster. Seriously compare the players, who would you rather Adam Reynolds or Frawley, JMK or Cody walker, Gagai and Inglis or Hoppa and Olive, Lichaa or Cook & Farah. Pull your head in you idiots!
If you are so rapt in Pay as a coach, let us know what he has done to improve things?

I cannot see one improvement in this roster. We have gone backwards with him at the helm. Simple as that.

A team with Jackson, Klemmer, Morris, Morris, Mbye, Woods, Foran and RFM should not be wooden spooners.

Our playing style was promised a change. Guess what? Block play, block play, block play and then die on the last tackle. Sound familiar?

If Pay stays as coach I'm afraid our rebuild will just add two years to it.

My opinion!

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have a good forward pack, decent outside backs but our spine is the worst in the comp by a country mile. Infact our spine will probably be the worst spine in the nsw cup comp.

Craig Bellamy will dead set look like the worst coach in the world with our spine. Just look at how Bellamy looked when he coached nsw with a shit spine. If Munster and smith were in our spine we would dead set win the comp with Pay as coach. My point is coaches cant do shit if your spine is terrible. Im actually think we are doing very well to have won 3 games with the spine we have im not even kidding. Deadset Mbye Frawley Foran/JMK Lichaa/JMK the spine is fucking laughable not even nsw cup standard. How the fuck did we actually win 3 games in the nrl is anyones guess. We need to reverse judgment on Pay until he actually has a decent spine to work with.
When was the last decent spine we had? 2012? That logic even makes Hasler look like a good coach. he made the semis with a shit spine over and over again.

The spine problem is blown out of proportion. You can't win a comp with a bad spine but you can certainly avoid the spoon with one.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

More than half of those aren't regular first graders at our club. What's your point?
You conveniently forgot to mention Klemmer, Jackson, Morris, Morris, Mbye, Woods, RFM, and Hopoate.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How many excuses does this bloke get?

You watch next year, we’ll be contending for the spoon again. And it’ll be his “roster”.
It still won’t be his roster, he can’t go out and buy who he wants. That won’t be until 2021 and that’s if he is still here. I like Pay as a coach and as a man. I see him as Meninga type, good man manager and old school tough but I think he needs a really good attacking coach to help him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It still won’t be his roster, he can’t go out and buy who he wants. That won’t be until 2021 and that’s if he is still here. I like Pay as a coach and as a man. I see him as Meninga type, good man manager and old school tough but I think he needs a really good attacking coach to help him.
And a defensive coach.

He is out of his depth. It’s clear and it’s time to put him out to the paddock.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My advise to all Bulldogs fans is don't support them. Why bother. I mean, the Dogs are a joke. When there is no-one in the stands, they might get serious. This is not the club I've supported for 50 years, since I went to my first game as a 10 year old. Just forget them and see what happens. The organisation has been taking the fans'goodwill for granted.F@#* them I say. Let them panic. See what its like. Really. For the power and money this club has, the last 3 years have been a disgrace. Go Giants!
I agree mate, that's why I have only been to 1 game in three years, and I only went to that one game because a consultant that I had done a project with invited me to it, I couldn't say no from a business perspective.
And the last time I bought season tickets was in 2014.
I went to a few games in 2015 and I can honestly say it was the first time in 40 years supporting this club that I wanted the time to hurry up so I can leave.
It is just so painful and punishing watching them play, it hurts my senses, it hurts my vision.
Why would I want to put myself through that on a cold winters night.

Long gone are the days, where we used to rock up to a Friday night game full of confidence that we'd win and play a top side and beat them.
We'd go back to the club, eat chinese at dynasty, grab a few beers at the sports bar and watch the reply, stay at the club to early hours of the morning, go to bed happy and wake up the next day getting a coffee and the newspaper reading about the win.

Man I miss those nights!

Dib, Des and Castle....GO GET STUFFED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.