Fear and Loathing at Belmore - From the Couch: Round 15,2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you saying that nobody can do a better job than dean pay with what we've got?

Anyhow my point is theyve come out and said Dean Pay is supported even though all our players have regressed.. Are we expected to believe that it's just a coincidence.
Pretty much, yeah. I really dont think many coaches could do any better.
Imagine you inherit this mess as your first NRL gig?!!!
We have plenty of issues at the moment and i honestly dont think that the coaching is the biggest of them.
There is no doubt a lot of baggage at the club surrounding the player movements etc, but long term this is what needs to be done. We have a lot of overpaid players that need to be moved on in order for the club to move forward. The players need to suck it up and do what they get paid for.
We also have a massive inbalance in our roster with most of our money spent on players that are either past it or simply not living up to their pay packet, eg. Woods, foran, eastwood and to an extent mbye. Thats about 2/5 or a 1/3 of our salary cap right there and they are not offering a freat deal of value.
Throw in the losses of players like graham and reynolds as the ones that these players replaced and there is another issue.
Im not saying Pay is a great coach, he has definitely persisted with some stupid team choices, but he dserves to be judged on what he can do with a well balanced roster of his choosing and not the clusterfuck he is currently in charge of. Dont you think?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pretty much, yeah. I really dont think many coaches could do any better.
Imagine you inherit this mess as your first NRL gig?!!!
We have plenty of issues at the moment and i honestly dont think that the coaching is the biggest of them.
There is no doubt a lot of baggage at the club surrounding the player movements etc, but long term this is what needs to be done. We have a lot of overpaid players that need to be moved on in order for the club to move forward. The players need to suck it up and do what they get paid for.
We also have a massive inbalance in our roster with most of our money spent on players that are either past it or simply not living up to their pay packet, eg. Woods, foran, eastwood and to an extent mbye. Thats about 2/5 or a 1/3 of our salary cap right there and they are not offering a freat deal of value.
Throw in the losses of players like graham and reynolds as the ones that these players replaced and there is another issue.
Im not saying Pay is a great coach, he has definitely persisted with some stupid team choices, but he dserves to be judged on what he can do with a well balanced roster of his choosing and not the clusterfuck he is currently in charge of. Dont you think?
No.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And it’s up to the players to execute them.
Are you suggesting that the players are executing well ? That pay has asked them to kick it out on the full, kick it dead, throw forward passes, miss tackles and drop the ball ?

Discipline is just as much a coaching problem as it is a player problem

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That issue of discipline and playing for the benefit of your mate, has me worried about the effectiveness of Pay's coaching.

These guys have been doing their own thing re not carrying out what the coach instills, for years though and don't listen.

A whole of team/club culture shake up is necessary.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's precisely his point.
Apart from Parra, NO OTHER TEAM in the NRL commits as many fundamental errors in 80 minutes as we do.
Our attacking raids all come a cropper through poor kicking, dropped ball, forward passes, DEFINITELY missed tackles (count the stats over the year - EDGE DEFENCE - I'm talking about you!).
And YES. It IS the coach's job to eliminate the blunders.
Pay has had 15 rounds to fine tune all this crap.
His record speaks for itself.
What a load of shit.
As if they’re not doing skills training ? Not doing kicking training ? Not doing tackling training ?
Please.
You can’t train Magda szubanski to be an Olympic sprinter.
These players train as much as every team in the comp. They’re shit because they’re shit.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a load of shit.
As if they’re not doing skills training ? Not doing kicking training ? Not doing tackling training ?
Please.
You can’t train Magda szubanski to be an Olympic sprinter.
These players train as much as every team in the comp. They’re shit because they’re shit.

You think discipline is not a coaching issue? Look at the Storm at the beginning of the season compared to now.. Discipline is an effort thing.. The coaching staff need to get these guys playing for each other and for the jersey, fans etc..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's inherited an absolute shit fight. How can you expect any results out of him at all until next year or maybe even 2020?
It just really blows my mind how many posters are quick to point their fingers at Pay. Players are simply not playing footy because all the uncertainty of letting players go has gotten in to their heads. These players don’t know if they will be with the club next year, all the shit in the media about our salary cap fiasco, seeing their teammate Mbye leave, rumblings of woods leaving, stories of medically retiring Foran, no contract offered to the Morris brothers etc. how do you expect these players to put in knowing the uncertainty of their playing futures, reserve grade halves, shit outside backs except the Morris s boys but they are aging, Tolman, Eastwood on big money not offering anything at all. A million dollar halfback in a wheelchair and all these so called players in isp like Toomaga etc who get belted when making the transition to first grade.

Sorry but I just don’t buy into the fact it’s all because of Pay. All you guys are doing is trying to find a reason why we are going shit and blaming poor old rookie coach pay to produce a miracle. Wake up and smell the coffee the whole lot of you, this is what you call a re-build you dopes, can’t you see the club is getting stripped back to its foundations and getting rebuilt, how the hell is Pay supposed to get the best out of these old overpaid hacks and these 21 year old isp players who don’t even know how to kick a footy and have nothing they should be looking at another career. Frawley makes Holdsworth look like Andrew Johns. How many of our players would actually make first grade at another club? Maybe 5 players if we’re lucky.

Pay may not be the greatest coach out there and maybe about 15% of our problems are from him, but 85% is the awful playing group we have.
So his bench rotation is not the best, and he doesn’t put Holland in for Montoya, and he didn’t play Martin the last two rounds, but that’s not a good enough reason why we’re stuck at the bottom of the ladder.

Then everyone starts telling us the souths coach who is rookie is killing it in his first year. Has anyone gone through the souths playing roster. Seriously compare the players, who would you rather Adam Reynolds or Frawley, JMK or Cody walker, Gagai and Inglis or Hoppa and Olive, Lichaa or Cook & Farah. Pull your head in you idiots!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It just really blows my mind how many posters are quick to point their fingers at Pay. Players are simply not playing footy because all the uncertainty of letting players go has gotten in to their heads. These players don’t know if they will be with the club next year, all the shit in the media about our salary cap fiasco, seeing their teammate Mbye leave, rumblings of woods leaving, stories of medically retiring Foran, no contract offered to the Morris brothers etc. how do you expect these players to put in knowing the uncertainty of their playing futures, reserve grade halves, shit outside backs except the Morris s boys but they are aging, Tolman, Eastwood on big money not offering anything at all. A million dollar halfback in a wheelchair and all these so called players in isp like Toomaga etc who get belted when making the transition to first grade.

Sorry but I just don’t buy into the fact it’s all because of Pay. All you guys are doing is trying to find a reason why we are going shit and blaming poor old rookie coach pay to produce a miracle. Wake up and smell the coffee the whole lot of you, this is what you call a re-build you dopes, can’t you see the club is getting stripped back to its foundations and getting rebuilt, how the hell is Pay supposed to get the best out of these old overpaid hacks and these 21 year old isp players who don’t even know how to kick a footy and have nothing they should be looking at another career. Frawley makes Holdsworth look like Andrew Johns. How many of our players would actually make first grade at another club? Maybe 5 players if we’re lucky.

Pay may not be the greatest coach out there and maybe about 15% of our problems are from him, but 85% is the awful playing group we have.
So his bench rotation is not the best, and he doesn’t put Holland in for Montoya, and he didn’t play Martin the last two rounds, but that’s not a good enough reason why we’re stuck at the bottom of the ladder.

Then everyone starts telling us the souths coach who is rookie is killing it in his first year. Has anyone gone through the souths playing roster. Seriously compare the players, who would you rather Adam Reynolds or Frawley, JMK or Cody walker, Gagai and Inglis or Hoppa and Olive, Lichaa or Cook & Farah. Pull your head in you idiots!
Stop talking so much sense mate, this is the kennel!

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Enthusiasm can win and turn games if they have belief and pride.... Continue to get rid of the rot and deadwood and anything is possible.
Maybe I have watched too many Hollywood movies.... We need Elliot to turn into the water boy like bobby bouche

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Yet you still can't say what Pay is doing well. He's fucking shit, can't wait until he fucks off.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many excuses does this bloke get?

You watch next year, we’ll be contending for the spoon again. And it’ll be his “roster”.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
HMmmm I wonder if the players thinking our coach is a top bloke and really really nice to them and talk about bulldog culture, doesn’t actually translate to winning or being competitive on the field. Hmmmmmmmmm

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m on the fence here... not in relation to the article but in relation to pay... I believe we shouldn’t be in the position we are in with only 3 games won. Don’t care what anyone says about our roster or the bs happening behind the scenes. We have decent enough players in the squad to have racked up more wins and pay knows it. He wouldn’t be so deflated in post match press conferences if he could see light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes we have overpaid players and over rated players but we still have s decent enough team to not be equal last. I believe if we had a more experienced coach at the helm we would be in a better position. I’m also not saying pay is a shit coach as we have only seen him in power for half a season. He might turn out to be a gun coach with just to much on his plate atm.

All I know from what we have seen so far pay is not the man to get us through this mess. His a rookie and he shouldn’t have signed with us and rather went to England where he was wanted. Get some experience there as top coach and then came back to nrl. He is another weird character to crack like Des was in relation to player selections and bench rotation. So my personal view from what we have seen so far pay needs to go. But from a board perspective I can see why they need to stick with him for the next year and half and see what he can come up with.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I’m on the fence here... not in relation to the article but in relation to pay... I believe we shouldn’t be in the position we are in with only 3 games won. Don’t care what anyone says about our roster or the bs happening behind the scenes. We have decent enough players in the squad to have racked up more wins and pay knows it. He wouldn’t be so deflated in post match press conferences if he could see light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes we have overpaid players and over rated players but we still have s decent enough team to not be equal last. I believe if we had a more experienced coach at the helm we would be in a better position. I’m also not saying pay is a shit coach as we have only seen him in power for half a season. He might turn out to be a gun coach with just to much on his plate atm.

All I know from what we have seen so far pay is not the man to get us through this mess. His a rookie and he shouldn’t have signed with us and rather went to England where he was wanted. Get some experience there as top coach and then came back to nrl. He is another weird character to crack like Des was in relation to player selections and bench rotation. So my personal view from what we have seen so far pay needs to go. But from a board perspective I can see why they need to stick with him for the next year and half and see what he can come up with.
I tend to agree with several posts that have said that our forward pack is good enough to have us in matches BUT our backs are no where near capable of scoring the points needed. Our team is close to the worst in the comp now which is reflected on the table.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I know that I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'll say it again:

For those idiots who think the Bulldogs have had any chance this year... LOL. Before the season even start, 2018 was to be a building year. The team don't care, and neither do the players. Give credit where it's due though, as 7 games have been lost by 6 points or less - not all losses have been total blowouts. Pay is cleaning up after Haslers mess, and you are as blind as a bat if you can't see that. That's why players are being released. He knows what he's doing, and the board know this. This year is a write-off, he's working towards the future. This bunch of players he has are Des Hasler's formation, not his.
At the start of the Season after the board upheaval I wrote in another thread the club, Coach & players had every excuse to fail. Would they take it?
You betta believe they did.
And your post & the article by Nick concern me as the excuses have already started for next season and the one beyond that and according to Nick the one beyond that.
"Anchored in the bottom 4 for 4 seasons"
Really, that is the reality we are all being told to accept?
What was the point in getting rid of Des then for fuck sake, oh and having to fork out $2m for the privilege?
I am beyond sick of the excuses being made and put forward that we have to accept failure as a fait-accompli.

Status
Not open for further replies.