Favourite/Least Favourite Holiday Destination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
fav: orlando/vancouver
Least anaheim/la

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Two people can go to the same city and have vastly different experiences, and sometimes its down to one or two small things. I have a recent example.

I was talking with a Mexican friend of mine the other day, who said, with respect to my wife, that she has no interest in going to Thailand. Fair enough - its not for anybody, but when i probed her a bit, she told me how her best friend got ripped off by a cabbie (allegedly) from the airport to their hotel when they first arrived. This put them in a foul mood for the whole trip, and so, to her, the whole country is rubbish.

Some places people slag off like LA I quite liked actually (and I didn't even go to Disneyland!).

Funny when people want to go to Goa, it's because.... it isn't really India.

For the record, my favourite holiday places so far overseas have been: Thailand (but mostly because of local knowledge, it's a lot more than Phuket), USA (road trips in particular - the best way to see it), Vietnam (went on a tour and was just so different, a the time (2003) to anywhere i've been.

In Australia: Kakadu. Do yourself a favour and go. The most amazing place i've been in the world.

On my "list": Japan, NZ and Angkor Wat (have been to Cambodia but not there - but now its looking like i'm going with the inlaws next year).

I don't really have a least favourite. I have found some places "underwhelming" though - Italy being the best example.

I also think Gold Coast gets an unnecessary bad rep. I think its a great low cost getaway, especially for families. For people in Brisbane its a good for a day trip of a cheeky weekend - its good as it keeps the tourists out of Brisbane :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't been many places but I'm going to Fiji in June staying at Port Denarau and next February I'm going to Goa-India for a wedding. (Indiandog, got any tips for me before I go there?)
With pretty extensive travelling in Fiji, don't consider the rest of Fiji to be like Port Denerau.

Port Denarau is built on swampland. The waters around it are more brown than clear, and the beaches are sub par.

To get the best / WOW factors of Fiji you need to head out to the other islands, Natadola Beach on mainland (it's nice), and spots around Pacific Harbour are nice as well.

Yasawa-i-rara will always have my heart, with Tokoriki a close second. Both jaw droppingly stunning islands. The flight out to YIR is jaw droppingly beautiful.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I know a lot of bengalis who own good pizza shops in Italy making pizzas, go figure
Believe it or not, the worlds best Pizzeria is in... wait for it... Japan! Yes, you read right, JAPAN!

The story goes that a few decades ago, a Japanese man went to Italy searching for the worlds 1st Pizzeria. Many claimed to be it, but weren't actually it. Eventually... the man found it. Now we're talking what Pizza really is. None of the ham and pineapple crap, just real pizza, thin with tomato source, some cheese and maybe basil on top... plain and simple (pic below).

After finally finding this restaurant, the Japanese man started working there, and, under the guidance of the head chef, tried his hand at making Pizza. After trying and trying and trying time and time again, he eventually mastered it, then it became second nature to him.

After finally getting the hang of it, the man took his new art form back home, and opened up the worlds best Pizzeria right in the land of the rising sun!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With pretty extensive travelling in Fiji, don't consider the rest of Fiji to be like Port Denerau.

Port Denarau is built on swampland. The waters around it are more brown than clear, and the beaches are sub par.

To get the best / WOW factors of Fiji you need to head out to the other islands, Natadola Beach on mainland (it's nice), and spots around Pacific Harbour are nice as well.

Yasawa-i-rara will always have my heart, with Tokoriki a close second. Both jaw droppingly stunning islands. The flight out to YIR is jaw droppingly beautiful.
I with you on this one, Fijiian Islands is like being in a 3D postcard and is hands down my most favourite place I've visited admittedly I haven't been to Seychelles, Caribbean or bora bora . Only went to places Qantas flys to ( not being rainman here) just because I worked at Qantas and it was t easier .
The other place I loved is Los Angeles and its not just Disneyland or Universal that I loved, I was there last year and stayed in west Hollywood which was like Paddington, double bay mixed into one ..There's a lot of homeless people there , spoke to a few of them and they're not like the derelicts you'll find in sydney , they've just hit bad times.
I found the people in LA unracist and are courteous . I could go on yeah its definitely a close second.
The worst place is probably Scotland at Christmas time, it was dark nearly everyday , stunk of coal and it was fukking cold ( it was torturous tbh) .. The only thing I liked about it were my hubby's family ( cousins, uncles aunties etc) the most beautiful and hospitable and generous people I've ever met , love the Scottish people ( I think something went wrong with my husband that's all) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.