Opinion Fastest, Toughest, Smartest, Most Talent, MVP, Bulldogs Ever.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Thanks Rookie dog for sharing that great memory with us. Yes Kelly with those scary snake eyes certainly was one very tough Ombre, who can forget that scrum in the 1985 GF when he hit Graham Wynn nearly knocked him out with one punch & we got the penalty which led to the wining Try.
Yeah. Peter Kelly - tough, thick set and pretty crazy. I also remember the 1985 GF scrum and the hit on Graham Wynn. For the game I wrote about in my previous post, I was lucky to get into the SCG members stands that Anzac Day as my mate lent me his dad's members pass (which I think you weren't supposed to do back then). I practised signing this guy's dads signature the night before the game. It was an awful attempt at forgery and fortunately, they didn't ask us to sign in. Miss those days for sure. The game and our club feel very different these days

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Spot on mate. Kels was as hard as nails.
Came from that Jets team with Tommy Raudonikis.
He was almost my pick for ‘toughest’ in this thread but I went with Cement for being tough and an overall better player in my view, but Kels should not be underrated, he was another along with Chris Mortimer I was disappointed to see leave Belmore to become a Chocolate Soldier in the late 80’s.
Yes DinkumDog - they called DG "Cement" for a reason. He had some skills PK didn't have. A couple more anecdotes:- once after the '86 season on an official trip, a bunch of Dogs players visited Taree where my parents live. My parents are big are Dogs fans and went along to meet the players and maybe get some autographs. My mother met Peter Kelly and she called him "Mr Kelly". He had a laugh and said to her something like "The only people who call me "Mr Kelly" are the police". She said he was super polite. Also the old story about Louie Mortimer when he had staples in his hand after surgery and it was coming up to finals (not sure which year) and he got medical advice that he wasn't ready. The story goes that he pulled them out himself and played. I have heard this from some people close to the club, so I'll say it's a true story and that Chris Mortimer was definitely tough. Hit hard in tackles too.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Blue & White Blood.

Hard to disagree with your list.

I haven't posted for a while because season 2020 has given me the sh!ts big time, but I wanted to commend you on your footy card collection. I can see you are a fan from a long way back. I have several of the same cards myself!

Re Peter Kelly being tough, a mate sneaked me into the 1986 ANZAC Day game Dogs v Souths at the SCG. We were sitting right next to the tunnel and Kelly coat hangered some guy in the first tackle. He got sent off and he came right past us as he walked off. He had the craziest eyes like he would have killed you if you said a word to him. Opposition players didn't want to go near him.

Dogs played basically the whole game a man short and absolutely towelled Souths up that day. A unforgettable day all in all.

Cheers from RookieDog
I remember that match. The commentators called it the "Anzac Day Massacre". I think it was something like 26-0?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Fastest: Barba
Toughest: Shrek
Smartest: Sherwin
Most talented: SBW
MVP: El Masri

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastest : Jonathan davies
Toughest: cement
Smartest: Jason Smith
Most talented:shifty
Mvp:Terry lamb
Most injured:Kieran foran
Most inspirational: Turvey
Best offload: britt/ newton
Best spray: barry ward
Best chip n chase : Turvey
Best cover defence: Turvey
Best kicking game : brentnall
Best groundsman: klemmer
Best ever signing: Andrew ryan
Best cheerleaders: the ones that looked like the Dallas cowboys ones, bring them back!!!
I remember that match. The commentators called it the "Anzac Day Massacre". I think it was something like 26-0?
Fastest: Barba
Toughest: Shrek
Smartest: Sherwin
Most talented: SBW
MVP: El Masri

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been watching the dogs for over 45 years. Seen all our greats except Les Johns.
Fastest: Steve Mortimer & Jonathan Davies. They even look and play similar.
Toughest: Terry Lamb & David Gillespie
Smartest: Steve Mortimer & Terry Lamb. Statistically the best halves combination of all time despite what today's "experts" think. They played 5 seasons together, made 4 GF and won 3 of them. Incredible 60% premiership strike rate. The only other halves that comes close is Sterlo and Kenny. 13 seasons together, made 5 GF and won 4. 31% premiership strike rate which is half of Mortimer and Lamb. Head to head in the years they played against each other its Mortimer/Lamb 3 GF wins- Sterlo/Kenny 1.
Most Talented: Steve Mortimer (13 seasons), Jonathan Davies (1 season) and Ben Barba (2012 only).
MVP: Steve Mortimer - our only player to lead us to 6 GF and win 4 of them. Best player I've ever seen.
Steve Mortimer - ( The Arch Bishop of Canterbury) definitely the greatest player I've ever seen. WTF do you have to do to become an NRL immortal because Steve Mortimer should have been picked ahead of some of the players that have been selected as NRL Immortals.

1601489572060.png1601489672756.png1601489725838.png1601491049339.png1601490992911.png1601489801883.png1601489369817.png1601489927698.png1601491087684.png1601491188865.png

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be, I only saw highlights...
OK, I lie :-).
Max wasn’t around that long (1-2 years) but
I remember watching him on the hill at Belmore as a young fella and damn he was quick. I was there the day he dropped the ball over the line...
was there waz hooked him never played first grade again also happened to Glen Frendo made a blunder against the rorters lost us the game waz hooked him forever

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
was there waz hooked him never played first grade again also happened to Glen Frendo made a blunder against the rorters lost us the game waz hooked him forever
Yeah the Wok was brutal. He got his payback with Greg Smith at the Knights :-).
I saw more of Max in reserves in the good old days when you could go to Belmore and watch 3 games in an afternoon, or 2 at the least if the old U-23’s and later Presidents Cup / U-21’s wasn’t your thing...

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah the Wok was brutal. He got his payback with Greg Smith at the Knights :-).
I saw more of Max in reserves in the good old days when you could go to Belmore and watch 3 games in an afternoon, or 2 at the least if the old U-23’s and later Presidents Cup / U-21’s wasn’t your thing...
Yes those were the days U23’s, Reserves and first grade. A day out at the footy. I remember sitting on the hill with mum and dad. Dad used to bring an esky with a bbq chook and some rolls etc and a six pack of beers. I’d play footy on the hill with other kids at half time. And who could forget running onto the field at full time and patting your favourite players on the back. Wish it was still like that now.
Even listening to the call on the radio between Greg Hartley and Peter Peters. Classic.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes those were the days U23’s, Reserves and first grade. A day out at the footy. I remember sitting on the hill with mum and dad. Dad used to bring an esky with a bbq chook and some rolls etc and a six pack of beers. I’d play footy on the hill with other kids at half time. And who could forget running onto the field at full time and patting your favourite players on the back. Wish it was still like that now.
Even listening to the call on the radio between Greg Hartley and Peter Peters. Classic.
Love it mate. We share many similar memories. Not to mention the old red rattler trains with people hanging out the doors slowing down to go past BSG whenever the footy was on. And before the netting was installed kids chasing balls that went sailing outside the ground from a conversion or penalty kick. Life seemed simpler...

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes DinkumDog - they called DG "Cement" for a reason. He had some skills PK didn't have. A couple more anecdotes:- once after the '86 season on an official trip, a bunch of Dogs players visited Taree where my parents live. My parents are big are Dogs fans and went along to meet the players and maybe get some autographs. My mother met Peter Kelly and she called him "Mr Kelly". He had a laugh and said to her something like "The only people who call me "Mr Kelly" are the police". She said he was super polite. Also the old story about Louie Mortimer when he had staples in his hand after surgery and it was coming up to finals (not sure which year) and he got medical advice that he wasn't ready. The story goes that he pulled them out himself and played. I have heard this from some people close to the club, so I'll say it's a true story and that Chris Mortimer was definitely tough. Hit hard in tackles too.
I heard the same story about Chris, though i heard instead of staples it was pins he pulled out of his hand that were holding his bones together. Ouch. Bloody tough.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fastest: Brett Dallas
Toughest: Steve Folkes but special mention to Josh Jackson (I'm pretty sure he has never missed a game due to injury)
Smartest: Terry Lamb
Most Talented: Steve Mortimer
MVP: Terry Lamb
Yep this

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer - ( The Arch Bishop of Canterbury) definitely the greatest player I've ever seen. WTF do you have to do to become an NRL immortal because Steve Mortimer should have been picked ahead of some of the players that have been selected as NRL Immortals.

View attachment 17300View attachment 17301View attachment 17302View attachment 17306View attachment 17305View attachment 17303View attachment 17299View attachment 17304View attachment 17307View attachment 17308

Wow man, gees I miss those days. Those days are exactly why I call myself a Bulldog and what it means to be a Bulldog. Whilst some of us on here share these memories our DNA is still alive. We just need to find a way of helping to inject that back into our proud club.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fastest: Brett Dallas/Barba
Toughest: David Gillispie/Folkes
Smartest: Turvey
Most Talented: Sonny Bill Williams
MVP: Terry Lamb

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fastest: Josh Morris