Opinion Fastest, Toughest, Smartest, Most Talent, MVP, Bulldogs Ever.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fastest Bernie lowther
Toughest Peter Kelly
Smartest gary Hughes
Talented sbw
mvp turvey

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fastest : Jamal Idris
Toughest: Jarrod Hickey
Smartest: Lachlan Lewis
Most Talented: Michael Lichaa
MVP: Tony Williams

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastest : Rocket Rod Silva
Toughest: Robbo
Smartest: Peponis
Most Talented: Steve Mortimer
MVP: baabaa

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the same story about Chris, though i heard instead of staples it was pins he pulled out of his hand that were holding his bones together. Ouch. Bloody tough.
Wally Lewis once said he feared Chris Mortimer the most at origin time. He had craziness in his eyes when he ran out for the blues.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread. Lots of different views, some maybe tongue in cheek, or just looking through (very) different eyes.

Thurston is probably the most talented player to have played for us, although his best came at the Cows.

Judging the fastest is hardest IMO. Dallas seems the majority pick but some unexpected names thrown up. Glen Nissan - I thought his centre partner Tony Currie was faster at the time, but the late 80s were my blurry eyed years. Bernie Lowther - I had a football card of him when I was a kid but never saw him play. I think he played for NZ but didn't know he was a speedster.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fun thread -

Fastest: Brett Dallas
Toughest: Peter Kelly
Smartest: Steve Mortimer
Most Talented: Sonny Bill Williams
MVP: Terry Lamb

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Fastest: Brett Howland (why has no one else said this?
Toughest: James Graham
Smartest: Trent Hodkinson
Most Talented: Sonny Bill Williams
MVP:Ben Barba

JoeyG

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fastest:Johnny Rhodes
Toughest: Keven Ryan
Smartest:Peter Moore
Most Talented: Turvey
MVP: Baa

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastest - Brett Dallas
Toughest - James Graham (would have loved to see him play with the 80’s and 90’s pack)
Smartest - Terry Lamb (95 he basically carried the team to the title in the finals)
Most talented - Steve Mortimer
MVP - Lamb

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fastest: Tim Winitana
Toughest: Ben Czislowski / Justin Tsoulos
Smartest: Joe Williams
Most Talented: Nick Youngquest
MVP: Aaron Groom / Billy Ngawini

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Fastest: Tim Winitana
Toughest: Ben Czislowski / Justin Tsoulos
Smartest: Joe Williams
Most Talented: Nick Youngquest
MVP: Aaron Groom
Joe willians lol. Forgot about that suicidal BLM wannabe

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Goes to show you gotta savour moments like Bobcat smashing Crocker and winning a competition if you're lucky enough to experience them
Exactly! I remember walking down Burwood Rd Belmore after the 2004 GF and telling my brother's to soak up the atmosphere, you'll never know when we'll win another one

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fastest: Brett Dallas
Toughest: Peter Kelly / Geoff Robinson
Smartest: Terry Lamb
Most Talented: Ben Barba / Ewan McGrady
MVP: Terry Lamb (Cannot beat Baa in this category, not in the last 42 seasons of viewing)

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Been watching the dogs for over 45 years. Seen all our greats except Les Johns.
Fastest: Steve Mortimer & Jonathan Davies. They even look and play similar.
Toughest: Terry Lamb & David Gillespie
Smartest: Steve Mortimer & Terry Lamb. Statistically the best halves combination of all time despite what today's "experts" think. They played 5 seasons together, made 4 GF and won 3 of them. Incredible 60% premiership strike rate. The only other halves that comes close is Sterlo and Kenny. 13 seasons together, made 5 GF and won 4. 31% premiership strike rate which is half of Mortimer and Lamb. Head to head in the years they played against each other its Mortimer/Lamb 3 GF wins- Sterlo/Kenny 1.
Most Talented: Steve Mortimer (13 seasons), Jonathan Davies (1 season) and Ben Barba (2012 only).
MVP: Steve Mortimer - our only player to lead us to 6 GF and win 4 of them. Best player I've ever seen.

Lamb- Mortimer played in one grand Final 1984

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fastest - Ben Barba
Toughest - Steve Folkes
Smartest - Steve Mortimer / Jonathan Thurston
Most talented - Darren Smith ( has always been one of my favourite Bulldogs of all time because of his toughness, skillset, durability to play lock, centre and 5/8 the man was pure class way beyond many of his generation but never received the recognition)
MVP - Steve Mortimer

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No. They both played in 84, 86 and 88 GF. Lamb missed 85 GF due to injury.
Mortimer missed most of the ‘88 GF too, recovering from a broken arm. He came on for a cameo in the last 10min, heavily strapped and when the game was won - as it was his last game for the club.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mortimer missed most of the ‘88 GF too, recovering from a broken arm. He came on for a cameo in the last 10min, heavily strapped and when the game was won - as it was his last game for the club.
Yes I know. Turvey was injured during the year but still had a considerable impact on the team. I remember a match that year with the Dogs behind on the scoreboard and getting dominated, Turvey comes off the bench and with his first touch of the ball splits the defence and the Dogs score a try within that same movement. The turning point of the game and the Dogs go on to win. He only played 20 minutes but wins man of the match. That game wasn't against a bog average side - it was at Lang park against a virtual Origin Brisbane side led by Langer and "Immortal" Wally Lewis.