Opinion Fastest, Toughest, Smartest, Most Talent, MVP, Bulldogs Ever.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I remember that match. The commentators called it the "Anzac Day Massacre". I think it was something like 26-0?
Yeah - they did call it the Anzac Day Massacre. And you've got a good memory - I just googled the score it was 26-2. Souths couldn't even score a try with 80 minutes against a 12 man side. How awesome the Dogs were back in those days

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Yes those were the days U23’s, Reserves and first grade. A day out at the footy. I remember sitting on the hill with mum and dad. Dad used to bring an esky with a bbq chook and some rolls etc and a six pack of beers. I’d play footy on the hill with other kids at half time. And who could forget running onto the field at full time and patting your favourite players on the back. Wish it was still like that now.
Even listening to the call on the radio between Greg Hartley and Peter Peters. Classic.
Yeah - great memories. A different world now isn't it? But still really good to have done and experienced all the things you wrote about.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
How about Ryan’s tackle on Crocker in the dying stages of the 04 GF. Legendary.
Yeah, he knocked the sh!t out of Crocker who dropped the ball. That tackle probably won us the GF as there was space in front of Crocker and close to our try line. It happened not too far in front of us at the ground. I could barely stand to look at the closing stages of that game.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I remember watching that game on TV as a kid, what year was that?
I was a the game and some chick in the row behind me started losing it and screaming at me because Mannix dropped the ball. Dogs v Dragons at Belmore in 1984

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love it mate. We share many similar memories. Not to mention the old red rattler trains with people hanging out the doors slowing down to go past BSG whenever the footy was on. And before the netting was installed kids chasing balls that went sailing outside the ground from a conversion or penalty kick. Life seemed simpler...
If we don’t make some changes soon our kids will miss it if they haven’t already. And that passion will disappear. Where’s the fun in watching the game at the atmosphereless ANZ Stadium Usually at night with lucky to be 8000 others in an 80000 capacity stadium. It’s shit house. Hope this a Belmore upgrade happens. If not I’ll settle for the Liverpool one.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we don’t make some changes soon our kids will miss it if they haven’t already. And that passion will disappear. Where’s the fun in watching the game at the atmosphereless ANZ Stadium Usually at night with lucky to be 8000 others in an 80000 capacity stadium. It’s shit house. Hope this a Belmore upgrade happens. If not I’ll settle for the Liverpool one.
Some of those decisions are out of the club's hands though. They can lobby/influence/beg/pray to whoever they want, but a Belmore or Liverpool upgrade will be a NSW Government decision and in Labor heartland of Belmore - what are the chances of that happening? Liverpool would personally be a long way for me, but for the love of the team... I can only see it happening if it was a combo with the Tigers perhaps - there's going to have to be clear business benefit I think. We are past the days of every club having a home ground. ANZ is only good when it's full. Bankwest is a great stadium but well, it's Parra. Even if Belmore happened, the old days of running onto the field and patting the players on the back will never return - too many OH&S and other restrictions where lawyers have gotten rich. We experienced the golden days in that respect...

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah, he knocked the sh!t out of Crocker who dropped the ball. That tackle probably won us the GF as there was space in front of Crocker and close to our try line. It happened not too far in front of us at the ground. I could barely stand to look at the closing stages of that game.
I remember it exactly like that too. I jumped to my feet so quickly off that GF winning tackled and screamed so loud that I fairdinkum nearly fainted.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some of those decisions are out of the club's hands though. They can lobby/influence/beg/pray to whoever they want, but a Belmore or Liverpool upgrade will be a NSW Government decision and in Labor heartland of Belmore - what are the chances of that happening? Liverpool would personally be a long way for me, but for the love of the team... I can only see it happening if it was a combo with the Tigers perhaps - there's going to have to be clear business benefit I think. We are past the days of every club having a home ground. ANZ is only good when it's full. Bankwest is a great stadium but well, it's Parra. Even if Belmore happened, the old days of running onto the field and patting the players on the back will never return - too many OH&S and other restrictions where lawyers have gotten rich. We experienced the golden days in that respect...
Yeah I get it, everything is too politically correct now. I reckon Liverpool is a big chance as it is a city on the move.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah - they did call it the Anzac Day Massacre. And you've got a good memory - I just googled the score it was 26-2. Souths couldn't even score a try with 80 minutes against a 12 man side. How awesome the Dogs were back in those days
That match was just over 6 months after the Dogs smashed Parra 26-0 in the 85 Grand Qualifier. The Parra forwards were deliberately trying to avoid Cement in particular as they were getting physically hammered when they had the ball. I fondly remember both of those matches. That's what happens when you have real immortals in Mortimer and Lamb leading the team and great forwards like Cement, Folkes, Kelly and co. Give Mortimer and Lamb access to today's dieting, training methods and big salaries and they'll run rings around the opposition easily. I'll back Turvey and Baa any day over ANY of the great halves - Wally Lewis, JT, Johns, Stuart, Langer, Sterlo, Kenny, Fitler, Lockyer, Cronk. The GF statistics prove it. If Turvey and Baa played at other clubs instead of the Dogs they both would have been given Immortal status by the NRL by now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I get it, everything is too politically correct now. I reckon Liverpool is a big chance as it is a city on the move.
Yeah I was at a member forum last year where Andrew Hill was talking about growth opportunities into greater W/SW Sydney including the new airport so I’ve no doubt that’s part of the thinking as well as key items like funding, approvals, construction, how long our contract with ANZ has to run etc...

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That match was just over 6 months after the Dogs smashed Parra 26-0 in the 85 Grand Qualifier. The Parra forwards were deliberately trying to avoid Cement in particular as they were getting physically hammered when they had the ball. I fondly remember both of those matches. That's what happens when you have real immortals in Mortimer and Lamb leading the team and great forwards like Cement, Folkes, Kelly and co. Give Mortimer and Lamb access to today's dieting, training methods and big salaries and they'll run rings around the opposition easily. I'll back Turvey and Baa any day over ANY of the great halves - Wally Lewis, JT, Johns, Stuart, Langer, Sterlo, Kenny, Fitler, Lockyer, Cronk. The GF statistics prove it. If Turvey and Baa played at other clubs instead of the Dogs they both would have been given Immortal status by the NRL by now.
Great post Mate, absolutely loved it, my sentiment exactly.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Have to put a shout out the Geoff Robinson he was a massive crowd favorite back in the day.
I used to go to Belmore to watch him in reserves then when he made 1st grade he never disappointed. He played for the love of the game and club.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to put a shout out the Geoff Robinson he was a massive crowd favorite back in the day.
I used to go to Belmore to watch him in reserves then when he made 1st grade he never disappointed. He played for the love of the game and club.
Yes indeed. The legendary Geoff Robinson was the guy who destroyed the iconic Parra "wall" play from a tap. Parra never used that play again after he put that big hit.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I loved the animal too. Especially that time Parra tried to do that brick wall move against us and Robbinson the animal ploughed straight into that so called wall smashing it to pieces and forcing them to knock on.
What about when reserve graders would play reserves then back up in first grade.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Mate, absolutely loved it, my sentiment exactly.
You can generally tell the age of the supporters on the kennel. The ones like us who saw Turvey play know he's superior against the other great halves. The ones (Millienials etc) who never saw him play think Johns and JT are the "GOAT".

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You can generally tell the age of the supporters on the kennel. The ones like us who saw Turvey play know he's superior against the other great halves. The ones (Millienials etc) who never saw him play think Johns and JT are the "GOAT".
That 1979 series Turvey took us to the grand final with his line breaks from the scum base. Magic stuff in the 2nd semi final against Cronulla I think he had like 8 line breaks by himself.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 1979 series Turvey took us to the grand final with his line breaks from the scum base. Magic stuff in the 2nd semi final against Cronulla I think he had like 8 line breaks by himself.
Yes indeed. Scored two brilliant long range 60m+ solo tries out of dummy half. Lewis, Johns, JT, Stuart, Sterlo, Langer, Lockyer have NEVER scored tries like that in their whole careers because they don't have Mortimer's explosive acceleration. Then that magical try Turvey scored when we trailing Parra in the 79 GF qualifier when he dodged 5 players in a jagged 30m run to the try line. Turvey saved at least 4 tries in the 79 GF when St George ran riot through our forwards and their first try was off a blatant forward pass. I remember the huge buzz in the Bankstown area in the GF week when we were trying to become the first team from 5th place to win the GF. The fact is if Turvey wasn't in our team we would have never have got there in the first place. No other player in the history of the game can do the plays and score the tries that Turvey regularly did for the Dogs. I've said it for decades, the best player I've ever seen and it's not because I'm a dogs fan, I was a Tigers and Jets fan until I saw Turvey play in 77 onwards.