Fallen NRL star eyeing unlikely comeback

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Former Newcastle Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen says he's confident his "body can hold up" if handed a second chance in the NRL.

Mullen's infamous four-year ban for illegal steroid use came to come to an end earlier this year.

However, the exiled star came under further scrutiny when he was sentenced to 300 hours of community service back in 2019 for supplying cocaine.

Having spent the 2021 season in the Queensland Cup with the Sunshine Coast Falcons, Mullen is free now to return to the NRL.

"Obviously, it's been a long journey," Mullen told SEN.

These celeb parents agree on one thing
In pictures: Sudan coup protesters take to streets

Former Newcastle Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen says he's confident his "body can hold up" if handed a second chance in the NRL.

Mullen's infamous four-year ban for illegal steroid use came to come to an end earlier this year.

However, the exiled star came under further scrutiny when he was sentenced to 300 hours of community service back in 2019 for supplying cocaine.

Having spent the 2021 season in the Queensland Cup with the Sunshine Coast Falcons, Mullen is free now to return to the NRL.

"Obviously, it's been a long journey," Mullen told SEN.

"To get that final email from the [NRL] Integrity Unit to say that they've cleared me, to wish me all the best, it was very surreal.

"Karyn Murphy, the head of the Integrity Unit there was good enough to ring me – she had heard about all of the good things I was doing up on the Sunshine Coast with my youth work and all of that.

"For her to reach out, give me a phone call, congratulate me and all of that, it was really good."

Mullen said his return this season at Queensland Cup level showed him just how fast the game has become since he last played.

"People need to think so fast on their feet, the young halves these days, most of them are very sort of structured I think – I'm not being critical of them – but they sort of don't play what they see and instead go with set plays.

"Playing the old-school type of way and obviously the left foot kicking could be a positive to a team.

"I'm sitting here trying to sell myself, but I at least think I could be a back-up for a team… I really do believe my body can hold up."

Asked if he had any opportunities in the NRL lined up, the 34-year-old said; "there's been a few nibbles, nothing too big at the moment".

"I'm just going to bide my time, I'm sort of in a win-win situation.

"I'm loving my time up here on the Sunshine Coast, and I can play for the Falcons.

"If I'm playing good enough here, with a good pre-season, transfer windows and all of that, if I'm playing good enough a team could reach out and take me then.

"I'm not putting too much pressure on it."

Mullen made his NRL debut in 2005 and scored 39 tries in 211 matches for the Knights.

He also represented the NSW Blues in 2007 for one match.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Question: is any team in the comp desperate enough to sign a 34 year old halfback?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a nice story and all but I'd say there's next to no chance that he gets an NRL gig. I'm glad he has his life back in order though which is the most important thing..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mullen will always be a big "what if" IMO... I think he had very good passing and kicking games, an excellent running game, could be dominant, win matches on his own

I also think he was mistreated by the NSW selectors by being picked once TOO EARLY and then ignored for the remainder of his career... I cannot believe that Mitchell Pearce has played 19 times for NSW when you consider that Mullen only played once, Todd Carney 3 times, Terry Campese once, Scott Hill 5 times, Brent Sherwin not once, Adam Reynolds 5 times, Jamie Soward 3 times etc.

that said, Mullen could be inconsistent... too big a gulf between his good and bad games, good and bad plays

Mullen is 35 next year and has been out of the game for 4+ years... his league career is done

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: is any team in the comp desperate enough to sign a 34 year old halfback?
Couldn't be worse than Flanno & at a fraction of the $$!
Not arguing for it....just saying....

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Putting this out there in the media is probably not going to hurt his chances of getting a gig. But at 34 I imagine his chances are slim.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Putting this out there in the media is probably not going to hurt his chances of getting a gig. But at 34 I imagine his chances are slim.
Only role i'd see would be some sort of Benji minimum wage off the bench situation. Might also depend on fit he still is.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You would have to see him run around reserve grade for half a season before any NRL games

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Shane Flanno's ears pricked up at this news.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Fkn oath. Good on him. He’s paid his debt to society. Who’s the absolute mad lad that’s gonna give him one last run? Hahah I hope he gets an nrl contract.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Fkn oath. Good on him. He’s paid his debt to society. Who’s the absolute mad lad that’s gonna give him one last run? Hahah I hope he gets an nrl contract.
Widnes in the UK were known as The Chemics back in the day i think. Perfect destination for Mullen.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Dolphins could grab him alongside another younger half.

39 tries in his career, so he knows how to find the white line.