Facebook called the bluff lol

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get where it starts and ends for FB. What about a popular Cooking demonstration thing on FB, will FB be forced to pay them as well in the future? A musician doing tutorials, will FB be forced to pay them as well? Why is everyone so hung up on only the News being rewarded for their content and click throughs? There are numerous examples of great content being created and not rewarded. In my mind they are being rewarded via click throughs to their website where they can monetise what they are doing be it via Ads on the site, subscriptions etc they are not paying FB for use of the platform (i.e if it is free you are the product), how else would they get the same exposure? I always saw it as a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get where it starts and ends for FB. What about a popular Cooking demonstration thing on FB, will FB be forced to pay them as well in the future? A musician doing tutorials, will FB be forced to pay them as well? Why is everyone so hung up on only the News being rewarded for their content and click throughs? There are numerous examples of great content being created and not rewarded. In my mind they are being rewarded via click throughs to their website where they can monetise what they are doing be it via Ads on the site, subscriptions etc they are not paying FB for use of the platform (i.e if it is free you are the product), how else would they get the same exposure? I always saw it as a you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Good post. I think that may have been the original intent for the platform but it obviously evolved and that’s the main issue here: evolution without regulation. It’s been suggested that Facebook may have to ‘return to its roots’. There will likely be a distinction made between what content is considered ‘paid’ and ‘unpaid’ depending on the original author. Certainly going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Thats exactly my take on it.

It's a vexed question. Who gains the most?

I contend that FB provides a free service to those who chose to use it. They have, by way of offering something no one else did, managed to take over and manipulate the populations personal information but Govt never regulated that, and is not attempting to regulate it now with their new legislation.

The Govt are only trying to get payment for the big news organisations. Joe Blow with his blog or public interest site, wont get a cent bc FB will tell him/her business to get lost.

I realise they are manipulators and all powerful but I believe in free enterprise for all not just Big Media. Our news gathering is very limited already. We can virtually foresee no investigative journalists if that diversity of news comes to pass with this law.

FB provide a free site to all businesses who care to set up their page. In reality, millions of people have access to their free exposure and advertising. They also provide free to the public community pages, the Govt themselves set up sites to get info to the public in disasters, health crises, welfare etc etc etc.

How many other businesses, are there any?, that provide such a level of engagement and wholesale availability free of charge to put your business, connect with family etc etc etc.

I think many businesses are finding that it is of great, free benefit to them and their traffic and sales enquiries are way down.

Anyway this rant is not to praise Zuckerberg and his oligarch ways...there's no defence of the way FB has evolved and wormed its way into every inch of our lives.

I just point out that the Govt is not trying to curb his power. They just want FB to pay Big Media and the legislation does not even stipulate that it must be used in employing, or even keep, the existing journalists we do have ...even after Murdoch sacked hundreds after closing down every single Regional newspaper he bought up as part of his monopoly.

There's lots of issues to think through for mine.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Forget who you vote for but good on scomo for standing up to China previously and now mark z ,the whole world is behind Australia with this and mark z has fuked up big time imo with his reaction
But but but we are meant to be diplomatic when being fucked in the arse because we are only a small weak nation :grinning:

Fuck China and fuck Facebook

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Changes to Sharing and Viewing News on Facebook in Australia
February 17, 2021
By William Easton, Managing Director, Facebook Australia & New Zealand

Update on February 22, 2021 at 8:20PM PT:
We’re pleased that we’ve been able to reach an agreement with the Australian government and appreciate the constructive discussions we’ve had with Treasurer Frydenberg and Minister Fletcher over the past week. We have consistently supported a framework that would encourage innovation and collaboration between online platforms and publishers. After further discussions, we are satisfied that the Australian government has agreed to a number of changes and guarantees that address our core concerns about allowing commercial deals that recognize the value our platform provides to publishers relative to the value we receive from them. As a result of these changes, we can now work to further our investment in public interest journalism and restore news on Facebook for Australians in the coming days.
Read an additional statement from Campbell Brown, VP, Global News Partnerships on our Facebook Journalism Project site.

----------------------------------------

Now to wait and see what the new deal is, although by this statement, it seems Facebook got what they wanted.

Personally, rather than this government spending their time in trying to line their mates pockets, I would have preferred the same effort to get corporations to pay their fair share of tax in Australia, to you know, benefit the Australian people

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who caved?

Facebook set to end ban on Australian news (9news.com.au)

Facebook is set to end its ban on Australian news appearing on its platform just six days after the controversial decision was implemented.

Facebook has told the Federal Government it intends to restore Australian news pages "in the coming days" following amendments to the News Media and Digital Bargaining Code

Currently, all Australian news pages are blocked from sharing content and all users are banned from sharing links to Australian news sources.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice work Frydenberg and his team. These big tech giants think there a law onto themselves. As corrupt as any media outlets in the world with censorship of opinions which don’t align with there own

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score