Facebook called the bluff lol

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just said to wifey "Who f'en cares, who the fuck would get their news from FB". That didn't go over too well. Oh well, I guess she can bitch about it on FB. Personally, I'd rather get my news from The Onion or The Shovel. It's just as accurate as a lot of FB news, but just loads funnier. And it's not passed off as real.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Theres one problem with this. The whole world has to understand that we're a global community and that we need a global approach to regulations.

Until that's agreed upon and adhered to, Facebook will be what it is, they'll simply fall back onto the US 1st amendment (which they've done multiple times in trying to stay out of moderating election material eg 2016) as I can certainly see the US laws (in regards free speech) clashing with ours (if governments get involved in regulation)
In theory I think you're right - but try agreeing a global standard - it hasn't worked out very well so far.
I think several governments are watching Australia closely with this one.
If the legislation passes here, watch several countries follow.
It won't be pretty - but shakeups rarely are...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Awww snookums.
I've never said News is great - just that they're not dying. And apart from Kayo I'm not even a News customer.
I'm certainly not a shill nor own stock - just a keen observer.
Nor have I said Netflix is dying - just that they burn cash like no tomorrow and what options do they have to raise their profits?
Price rise ain't one - too much competition. Content costs a fortune to make - ask Hollywood - who they alienated and made competitors out of.
It's why I sold NFLX shares two years ago.
I also said Telstra AREN'T going away.
What else do you wish to argue?
Try not to be angry, life's too short :-).
what options do netflix have to raise profits? how about sit back, relax and let the subscribers keep coming in?

these are the questions you should be asking of news limited, what are their options to raise profits or to stop it from sinking? they are the ones that need to do something

their plan seems to be to just pay off government officials to redistribute the wealth from more successful companies, hence this thread

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
what options do netflix have to raise profits? how about sit back, relax and let the subscribers keep coming in?

these are the questions you should be asking of news limited, what are their options to raise profits or to stop it from sinking? they are the ones that need to do something

their plan seems to be to just pay off government officials to redistribute the wealth from more successful companies, hence this thread
Right - so by that rationale, Netflix will end up like your claims for Foxtel - bleeding subscribers because they can get cheaper options.
I don't need to ask any questions of News - I don't have skin in the game. I repeat once again - I don't believe they are dying and that's it.
And no that's not what this thread is about. The real story is that Facebook are a one trick pony and a very arrogant one too.
Even Microsoft support the draft laws in Australia - because they're a diversified business.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In theory I think you're right - but try agreeing a global standard - it hasn't worked out very well so far.
I think several governments are watching Australia closely with this one.
If the legislation passes here, watch several countries follow.
It won't be pretty - but shakeups rarely are...
Because everyone is in it for their own interest. Last I remember apple were "based" in Ireland taking advantage of their 10% corporate tax rate.

This is why it has to be a global approach, there needs to be an agreement so the whole world can benefit from tax and other regulations.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Netflix is actually worried about Disney's deal with Fox. They've still got some subscriptions to movies but once they expire, the consensus is that Disney is going to claim everything and leave netflix with nothing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because everyone is in it for their own interest. Last I remember apple were "based" in Ireland taking advantage of their 10% corporate tax rate.

This is why it has to be a global approach, there needs to be an agreement so the whole world can benefit from tax and other regulations.
It's not just Apple - it's everyone. All the majors have entities in Europe, Asia (typically Singapore) and other tax and regulation friendly territories.
I can't see there being a global approach - far too complicated, even though in theory I agree with you on the basis that the internet is global, so should the regulations that govern it. The issue is politics and greed as it always is.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Netflix is actually worried about Disney's deal with Fox. They've still got some subscriptions to movies but once they expire, the consensus is that Disney is going to claim everything and leave netflix with nothing.
Agree. Disney are playing the long game too. With Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Fox, NatGeo, LucasFilm and whatever else I've missed, they are very powerful now - and charging half the price of Netflix (Premium). And that's just entertainment - then there's ABC, ESPN etc.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not just Apple - it's everyone. All the majors have entities in Europe, Asia (typically Singapore) and other tax and regulation friendly territories.
I can't see there being a global approach - far too complicated, even though in theory I agree with you on the basis that the internet is global, so should the regulations that govern it. The issue is politics and greed as it always is.
Yeh I know it's all of them. Was just using apple and Ireland as I remember their company tax rate.10% sounds much better than the 25 to 30% in Australia and the US

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. Disney are playing the long game too. With Disney, Marvel, Pixar, Fox, NatGeo, LucasFilm and whatever else I've missed, they are very powerful now - and charging half the price of Netflix (Premium). And that's just entertainment - then there's ABC, ESPN etc.
Which is why netflix is going into the business of making their own movies and series products

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Which is why netflix is going into the business of making their own movies and series products
Yes and why they are burning so much cash.
It started with House of Cards and it's literally become that :tearsofjoy:.
Once upon a time they had the studios as besties but they bit the hand that fed them.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Right - so by that rationale, Netflix will end up like your claims for Foxtel - bleeding subscribers because they can get cheaper options.
I don't need to ask any questions of News - I don't have skin in the game. I repeat once again - I don't believe they are dying and that's it.
And no that's not what this thread is about. The real story is that Facebook are a one trick pony and very arrogant one too.
Even Microsoft support the draft laws in Australia - because they're a diversified business.
no foxtel bled because they were charging $100 a month and then someone else came in with a much much cheaper option

if disney starts paying people $80 a month to watch then you can make that statement

btw charging people over $100 a month for many years and their monopoly tactics have created a whole lot of bad karma, this is another reason why they will die, they have already ripped off the people they are trying to woo back/hold onto and people want to see them die

this is a government shakedown on behalf of news limited who is dying and other media companies who want corporate welfare

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
no foxtel bled because they were charging $100 a month and then someone else came in with a much much cheaper option

if disney starts paying people $80 a month to watch then you can make that statement

btw charging people over $100 a month for many years and their monopoly tactics have created a whole lot of bad karma, this is another reason why they will die, they have already ripped off the people they are trying to woo back/hold onto and people want to see them die

this is a government shakedown on behalf of news limited who is dying and other media companies who want corporate welfare
Yeah Nah.
They charged $100/month because that's how it was done forever - the bundle was the old business model.
It's one reason I've never had Foxtel - if you can't cherry pick or pay a low fee for all you can eat like Amazon Prime (costs me $3/month) then you don't pay it. But many of their subscribers are older and feel more comfortable with the TV and Remote and the lay-back experience of changing channels rather than having to stuff around with different apps. Other subscribers wanted exclusive content like Game of Thrones - which although expensive to licence is a drop in the ocean compared to the Netflix approach of mostly original programming which I think will be difficult to sustain in the long run.

And bad karma? Their subscriber numbers have grown recently. About 40% of them have transitioned to IP and gone to Kayo and Binge.
Just wait for the Kayo/Binge bundle - I bet it'll come.
Whilst they retain major sporting rights people will still pay for it one way or another.

So they are NOT dying - not currently.
They are transitioning.
Corporate welfare is crap. Everyone should be paid for content they create: news, movies, music or anything.
If they lose major assets in their arsenal like NRL/AFL/Cricket rights as they did EPL that will be telling. They obviously didn't care enough about Rugby and were happy to let that go to Stan who needed more diverse exclusive content in order to stand out.
Oh - and watch what happens to Netflix pricing if they go after sports rights. Having worked on a project two years ago to deliver content into a niche channel I can tell you that sport is the killer when it comes to cost - and powerful federations like F1, Wimbledon, NFL and many others don't care - you pay to play.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Q+A tackles Facebook's Australian news ban as Michelle Rowland questions whether this is 'the beginning of the end' for the social media platform

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Q+A tackles Facebook's Australian news ban as Michelle Rowland questions whether this is 'the beginning of the end' for the social media platform
So much of that is bang on and bi-partisan too.
It clarifies Facebook’s arrogance which I’ve experienced first hand - hence the need for regulation. This isn’t about just paying for content nor a ‘tax’ on the digital giants. It’s about some limit on their power.

"And it's reinforced that. That's the whole reason why regulation needed to be devised in order to ensure that, that market power was kept in check."

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yeah Nah.
They charged $100/month because that's how it was done forever - the bundle was the old business model.
It's one reason I've never had Foxtel - if you can't cherry pick or pay a low fee for all you can eat like Amazon Prime (costs me $3/month) then you don't pay it. But many of their subscribers are older and feel more comfortable with the TV and Remote and the lay-back experience of changing channels rather than having to stuff around with different apps. Other subscribers wanted exclusive content like Game of Thrones - which although expensive to licence is a drop in the ocean compared to the Netflix approach of mostly original programming which I think will be difficult to sustain in the long run.

And bad karma? Their subscriber numbers have grown recently. About 40% of them have transitioned to IP and gone to Kayo and Binge.
Whilst they retain major sporting rights people will still pay for it one way or another.

They are transitioning.
Corporate welfare is crap. Everyone should be paid for content they create: news, movies, music or anything.
If they lose major assets in their arsenal like NRL/AFL/Cricket rights as they did EPL that will be telling. They obviously didn't care enough about Rugby and were happy to let that go to Stan who needed more diverse exclusive content in order to stand out.
Oh - and watch what happens to Netflix pricing if they go after sports rights. Having worked on a project two years ago to deliver content into a niche channel I can tell you that sport is the killer when it comes to cost - and powerful federations like F1, Wimbledon, NFL and many others don't care - you pay to play.
they charged $100 a month then more because they were a piece of shit company who had the monopoly and went about ripping people off, trust me people remember that and at best remain as a customer begrudgingly because they want to watch rugby league

this company didnt get the television rights to the rugby league initially so they formed their own competition until they were allowed to get the rights, when the NBN was coming in they went into full campaign mode then got the liberal party to cancel it, they hacked peoples phones

dont give me any bullshit that they are a fine upstanding company and they didnt rip people off

they are complete shit and thats why there was a petition against them

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
they charged $100 a month then more because they were a piece of shit company who had the monopoly and went about ripping people off, trust me people remember that and at best remain as a customer begrudgingly because they want to watch rugby league

this company didnt get the television rights to the rugby league initially so they formed their own competition until they were allowed to get the rights, when the NBN was coming in they went into full campaign mode then got the liberal party to cancel it, they hacked peoples phones

dont give me any bullshit that they are a fine upstanding company and they didnt rip people off

they are complete shit and thats why there was a petition against them
Sigh.

I never said they were a fine upstanding company nor anything like it. I pay for one of their products so I can watch the Bulldogs when I can’t make a game and for me that’s an investment in the Bulldogs nothing else.

I simply said they’re not dying and there’s no evidence to suggest they are.

Go sign the petition and continue your contradictory campaign of rage elsewhere bud.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I haven't quoted the other valid post you made here regarding getting offers of cheaper rates when you cancel the service. But it also pissed me off that halfway through my deal they were offering new customers cheaper rates than I was paying. I rang and asked about why I wasn't entitled to a discount halfway through a contract and they said it was because I'd agreed to the rate upon signing up. Different story when that fixed term was up. They want to kiss your ass when you can get out of the deal, by offering discounts, but I'd had enough by then. It actually taught me to never sign up for anything on an extended contract. So I do agree with the fact that they haven't built customer loyalty while they had a monopoly. They cheaped out with content too. On every channel you'd get about 10-15 new shows/movies per month, too bad if they weren't your cup of tea. I've got a mate that stayed with them for about 5 years until he came to the realization that for the amount he'd been paying for five years he could have bought the movies he was interested in on DVD by that time.

So I think it was a lack of foresight to assume that they'd always have a monopoly.

Yeah Nah.

They are transitioning.
Creating new content will remain viable as long as the volume of subscribers is there. I'm not a good customer. If there's something I like these days I'll wait till a season is over then subscribe for long enough to watch the season and unsubcribe again.

As far as the profit margin goes for this year. You could argue that it's an outlier due to the fact that Covid has kept people from doing more interesting things and going anywhere.

Sports will always be a drawcard as long as one network has a monopoly on it. But I felt like I got burned with my two year subscription long ago. I only watch league now and am more than willing to watch it at a pub.

So I wouldn't assume that Murdochs pay TV empire is dying but I think that when the Covid issue is overcome round the world most of the streaming services will see a massive loss in income.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Sigh.

I never said they were a fine upstanding company nor anything like it. I pay for one of their products so I can watch the Bulldogs when I can’t make a game and for me that’s an investment in the Bulldogs nothing else.

I simply said they’re not dying and there’s no evidence to suggest they are.

Go sign the petition and continue your contradictory campaign of rage elsewhere bud.
well say that they are a piece of shit company because you are just arguing against whatever i say

i said they were a monopoly and overcharging people, you then come back with some bullshit about business model and thats the way it was done forever, clearly defending them and not letting anything go

everything i have said you have an answer for, they are making so much money, $1.67B is a great revenue and is self explanatory, a $1.9B profit is not good enough its 0.01% of 25B, they didnt have a campaign to shut down the NBN, they werent a monopoly, people dont hate them

you are the one with double standards contradictory statements, apparently sport content is a KILLER when it comes to costs for netflix but somehow its not going to kill off the company in question, they are safe despite being the ones who currently rely on sports and are going to spend the next years defending their rights

your logic is fucked up and you should apologise to me for wasting my night

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
you should apologise to me for wasting my night
1613670963538.gif

:tearsofjoy: Apologise? You’re deluded. You kept hitting reply to unload your word vomit and now you’ve thrown your toys out of the pram Trump style. On yer bike with your outrage Rod. Thanks for the entertainment though :tearsofjoy:.