Facebook called the bluff lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
they had to fire everyone to do it because they are dying
Ah, ignored the profit evidence I see :-).
In regard to your other 'point' - Telstra are firing everyone too.
They aren't going away either.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Digital is far different than the investments made with older technology.
To literally build cable TV networks as Australia did in the 1990's and to beam content via satellites cost untold billions.
Yet it was still profitable.
Zuckerberg had to set up a website. Then mobile apps, then build an ad-network (the hardest part).
Overall Zuckerberg's task was a hell of a lot easier because Facebook also had the luxury of little regulation for its first decade.
You can't really compare the two.
Thats logistics. I'm not comparing in that sense. I'm saying they are both businessmen. Why are Murdochs concerns ok yet Zuckerbergs aren't? He is the bastard?

Murdoch wants to be paid for his content.

Zuckerberg provides a free 'service'. Hasnt forced BOM, Govt Health to set up a FB site so that they can use a free portal to get their message out.

What if FB start charging to have a page on their site.

The losers are the small businesses and small publishers who wont get any reimbursement from this. All it will do is protect the big media players.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thats logistics. I'm not comparing in that sense. I'm saying they are both businessmen. Why are Murdochs concerns ok yet Zuckerbergs aren't? He is the bastard?

Murdoch wants to be paid for his content.

Zuckerberg provides a free 'service'. Hasnt forced BOM, Govt Health to set up a FB site so that they can use a free portal to get their message out.

What if FB start charging to have a page on their site.

The losers are the small businesses and small publishers who wont get any reimbursement from this. All it will do is protect the big media players.
Logistics? That's laughable.
If you don't understand the difference then there's no conversation to be had.

The key difference is Zuckerberg doesn't produce any content. He has a platform.
His service is not 'free' - he chooses to make it free to the consumer/small business.
You as a user make a conscious choice to give your data to him for that privilege - that's the price you pay.
If you're comfortable with that good for you.
If any business relies on that they might need to reconsider things.
Why? Because it was never going to last. Regulation was always coming...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Ah, ignored the profit evidence I see :-).
In regard to your other 'point' - Telstra are firing everyone too.
They aren't going away either.
telstra arent going away because they have a product

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Logistics? That's laughable.
If you don't understand the difference then there's no conversation to be had.

The key difference is Zuckerberg doesn't produce any content. He has a platform.
His service is not 'free' - he chooses to make it free to the consumer/small business.
You as a user make a conscious choice to give your data to him for that privilege - that's the price you pay.
If you're comfortable with that good for you.
If any business relies on that they might need to reconsider things.
Why? Because it was never going to last. Regulation was always coming...
Not going to go into my logistics counter argument to your story about Murdoch setting up his printing business by comparison to digital FB. The logistics of setting up both their businesses was not the point for me.

You havent addressed the issue of what if FB charge to log on and charge businesses to set up a page on their platform?

Does Zuckerberg have that right with his business?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw if his company/industry isnt dying then why is he trying to get the government to step in and redistribute the wealth towards his company?

last ditch effort of desperate company

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just liked to say as well, in regards to the EPL, while Optus completely fucked up at the start (remember them giving SBS a world cup game because their bandwidth couldn't handle it), their streaming service is great. Having games, or highlights, or mini-games on demand is brilliant. Normal cable TV is dead, the future is all on demand
Optus still sucks...stream almost always dies at halftime for some reason and buffers throughout the match a few times. I don't get charged for Optus sport and I don't even have a mobile account with them so free EPL for me I guess lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not going to go into my logistics counter argument to your story about Murdoch setting up his printing business by comparison to digital FB. The logistics of setting up both their businesses was not the point for me.

You havent addressed the issue of what if FB charge to log on and charge businesses to set up a page on their platform?

Does Zuckerberg have that right with his business?
Been on the Riesling tonight?
When did I mention printing business?
I said cable-TV networks and satellites.
So yes, on logistics you have no point - there is no comparison.

Haven't addressed what issue?
Zuckerberg can do what he wants inside regulation - and he chose a certain model that clearly worked well for him in a largely unregulated industry. That's going to change because it always WAS going to change. What that does to his business they will have to respond to. As we saw today with his snarky win and all costs arrogance, he switched off content to try to prove a point.
He might win a battle or two - in my opinion he won't win the war - especially when governments globally introduce regulation that his company will have to abide by.
News sites were free 10 years ago as well.
Maybe one day Facebook won't be free - or better still gone completely.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Optus still sucks...stream almost always dies at halftime for some reason and buffers throughout the match a few times. I don't get charged for Optus sport and I don't even have a mobile account with them so free EPL for me I guess lol
I'm assuming you watch Liverpool games, all platforms have problems streaming shit

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
telstra arent going away because they have a product
A mobile network?
In a world of IPTV, IP Messaging and IP Video Conferencing you think they haven't been hurt now that no-one has landlines and even text message revenue is dropping?
They sold their cable network to NBN and their copper is as good as dead.
They're digitising because they have to - like everyone else.
You yourself argued that these traditional businesses were dying, but now you're saying Telstra 'have a product' - which one is it?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
and they switched it because his company was dying
No, they switched it because it was a new marketplace.
They are not dying - they are digitising.
Anyway, the conversation has been great. Catch you later.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Zuckerberg can do what he wants inside regulation - and he chose a certain model that clearly worked well for him in a largely unregulated industry. That's going to change because it always WAS going to change. What that does to his business they will have to respond to. As we saw today with his snarky win and all costs arrogance, he switched off content to try to prove a point.
He might win a battle or two - in my opinion he won't win the war - especially when governments globally introduce regulation that his company will have to abide by.
Ok you gonna be a smarty. No problem.

I'm going back to my reisling. Thanks for your time.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
A mobile network?
In a world of IPTV, IP Messaging and IP Video Conferencing you think they haven't been hurt now that no-one has landlines and even text message revenue is dropping?
They sold their cable network to NBN and their copper is as good as dead.
They're digitising because they have to - like everyone else.
You yourself argued that these traditional businesses were dying, but now you're saying Telstra 'have a product' - which one is it?
providing the internet and mobile communication is not a dying business, news limited is dying because not only is the print media a dying business and their TV operation is being ripped apart by competition but they have such a poor reputation that most of the world is hoping that they die

for example kevin rudd raising awareness that realestate.com.au is one of their websites, that itself creates damage

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
providing the internet and mobile communication is not a dying business, news limited is dying because not only is the print media a dying business and their TV operation is being ripped apart by competition but they have such a poor reputation that most of the world is hoping that they die

for example kevin rudd raising awareness that realestate.com.au is one of their websites, that itself creates damage
1613649133113.png

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@Rodzilla you sound like a disgruntled former employee. For the record I’m not / have never been a News employee - I’m just a keen observer of tech and content because it’s a big part of what I do and I just don’t buy your argument that News are dying.

As for ‘07, he’s got an axe to grind - still dirty about:
8B74EAE3-D49C-493B-BC3D-46AE7FC49DD8.jpeg

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Theres one problem with this. The whole world has to understand that we're a global community and that we need a global approach to regulations.

Until that's agreed upon and adhered to, Facebook will be what it is, they'll simply fall back onto the US 1st amendment (which they've done multiple times in trying to stay out of moderating election material eg 2016) as I can certainly see the US laws (in regards free speech) clashing with ours (if governments get involved in regulation)

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
No, they switched it because it was a new marketplace.
They are not dying - they are digitising.
Anyway, the conversation has been great. Catch you later.
no the conversation has been shit and you have angered me with your posts about how great news limited is and how much in trouble netflix, facebook and telstra are in, you must be a news limited shill or own stock

"Foxtel customers who’ve threatened to quit, according to a report by Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), have been offered huge discounts on their Foxtel packages in order for them to stay. One customer told SMH he was able to get a $90 Foxtel package down to $55 while another alleged they were able to get their $99 package down to $35 after attempting to quit when Game of Thrones had finished airing."

seems like they are dying and are in desperation mode, this was a couple of years ago btw so now it must be worse as the word of mouth for netflix has only increased

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
no the conversation has been shit and you have angered me with your posts about how great news limited is and how much in trouble netflix, facebook and telstra are in, you must be a news limited shill or own stock
Awww snookums.
I've never said News is great - just that they're not dying. And apart from Kayo I'm not even a News customer.
I'm certainly not a shill nor own stock - just a keen observer.
Nor have I said Netflix is dying - just that they burn cash like no tomorrow and what options do they have to raise their profits?
Price rise ain't one - too much competition. Content costs a fortune to make - ask Hollywood - who they alienated and made competitors out of.
Amazon were much smarter with Prime - it was never about streaming, it was a hook into the broader Prime subscription for retail - but Prime Video and now Amazon Music are enough of a competitor that the others don't look away.
I also said Telstra AREN'T going away.
What else do you wish to argue?
Try not to be angry, life's too short :-).

Last edited: