Facebook called the bluff lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just liked to say as well, in regards to the EPL, while Optus completely fucked up at the start (remember them giving SBS a world cup game because their bandwidth couldn't handle it), their streaming service is great. Having games, or highlights, or mini-games on demand is brilliant. Normal cable TV is dead, the future is all on demand

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no question the boat has been pushed out on sports rights.
As you say EPL, now Stan has Rugby (which isn't huge) but the next big global sport that goes OTT - massive shift.
Facebook offered $600m for the IPL to up their presence in India and missed out mainly because of bandwidth and device penetration in India (where most people have a TV and a set top box, not everyone had a suitable mobile device nor internet solution). That's going to change too.
Those who don't see that coming are destined to die - but I doubt Fox or ESPN or any of the big sports networks don't see it coming.
Lol posted just before me.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If some think Rupes is such a good savvy businessman and to be admired, why then is Zuckerberg not getting the same love?

Much more business savvy than Rupes.

FB is his very profitable business.

No one is forcing the news sites to use FB. . He didnt force them to set up their own FB page so they have come to him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Couldn’t care less about Murdoch, I’ve posted twice about him. You’ve posted hundreds of times, there’s an abnormal obsession there. You can post what you like, just hard scrolling through all ur hatred to read other people’s views for a change.
I understand that. Thats why I suggested you block me then you wont have to scroll thru so much. Solve ya problem.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
btw this is totally natural, companies die out

for example you can probably buy taxis combined services for $2.50 right now
Of course.
Kodak, Polaroid, Blockbuster - the list goes on.
Times and technologies change - no one is arguing that.
But News isn't going away any time soon.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I pointed to two of their many businesses as you said they don't make money any more.
They have a massive warchest - particularly after the sale of many Fox assets to Disney.
They aren't going away regardless of what anyone thinks of them.
well you didnt prove to me that they make money, you posted their revenue only

harper collins 1.67B revenue = excellent, proof that he is a big time player
netflix 25B revenue, 1.9B profit = company spends so much money, company is in trouble because of the disney

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yep just pointing out you guys were arguing two different things but the bigger picture your post was right.

Rupert is prepared for losses in some of his sub companies to prop up his propaganda machine.
rupert is dying

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
news corp is dying, foxtel is dying, realestate.com.au is the main thing that they have left (its like when the Roman Empire was dying and they still had some cities toward the end that were making money)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If some think Rupes is such a good savvy businessman and to be admired, why then is Zuckerberg not getting the same love?

Much more business savvy than Rupes.

FB is his very profitable business.

No one is forcing the news sites to use FB. . He didnt force them to set up their own FB page so they have come to him.
Digital is far different than the investments made with older technology.
To literally build cable TV networks as Australia did in the 1990's and to beam content via satellites cost untold billions.
Yet it was still profitable.
Zuckerberg had to set up a website. Then mobile apps, then build an ad-network (the hardest part).
Overall Zuckerberg's task was a hell of a lot easier because Facebook also had the luxury of little regulation for its first decade.
You can't really compare the two.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Of course.
Kodak, Polaroid, Blockbuster - the list goes on.
Times and technologies change - no one is arguing that.
But News isn't going away any time soon.
news is going away soon, they should switch their company to making pizza or something

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Digital is far different than the investments made with older technology.
To literally build cable TV networks as Australia did in the 1990's and to beam content via satellites cost untold billions.
Yet it was still profitable.
Zuckerberg had to set up a website. Then mobile apps, then build an ad-network (the hardest part).
Overall Zuckerberg's task was a hell of a lot easier because Facebook also had the luxury of little regulation for its first decade.
You can't really compare the two.
compare foxtel/news streaming services and netflix

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but Murdoch has made some huge errors in judgement in a few areas in Australia.
- The pay TV empire- He had the money to switch things up to a largely online entity early on, but saw online competitors from overseas potentially eating into his current set up. So instead of getting behind the NBN he tried his best to supress and milk the last drops from his existing business. I'm sure that he was making a motza with the set top boxes at $70 to $100/ month. But he couldn't halt the progress and eventually when cheaper options grew regardless he'd have lost a lot of loyalty by retaining such high prices for a couple of decades while adding minimal new content. I for example won't ever subscribe to any of his services again. I got the shits with watching repeats for months on end 20 years ago when I was in high school.

- Print media and news services- You can see by the polar opposite arguments about this that he's pissed a lot of people off by offering up his biased world views and expecting to still generate maximum profits from it. I imagine that trying to sway politics is his favourite hobby. But he'd probably have made more money if he'd offered balanced opinion. I wouldn't imagine that he's feeling any pinch with cashflow. I'd assume that he gets more kicks from feeling that he can be a kingmaker in politics in some parts of the world.

- Myspace- Not sure what he was thinking on this. I tried it for aout a month back when I had Dial up. Got the shits almost instantly when it'd take 6 minutes to load a page that had no content, just annoying graphics.

He'll die a very rich man even if he has many more massive business failures. But If possible I'm going to charge $1 for people to piss on his grave when he dies and I'll die a rich man too.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
foxtel had the monopoly for many years, sat on their ass, paid off the government to keep the internet slow

the first sign of competition and they dont compete so well

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
well you didnt prove to me that they make money, you posted their revenue only

harper collins 1.67B revenue = excellent, proof that he is a big time player
netflix 25B revenue, 1.9B profit = company spends so much money, company is in trouble because of the disney
Most profitable quarter in seven years just announced - is this proof enough?
They are NOT dying.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
news is going away soon, they should switch their company to making pizza or something
Sure. Even the analysts didn't pick it and the share price shot up 15%.
But yeah, pizza. Great call.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
compare foxtel/news streaming services and netflix
I'm not talking about Foxtel, I'm talking about the whole company.
And News Australia just made a significant quarterly profit.
But you keep rambling, it's entertaining :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but Murdoch has made some huge errors in judgement in a few areas in Australia.
- The pay TV empire- He had the money to switch things up to a largely online entity early on, but saw online competitors from overseas potentially eating into his current set up. So instead of getting behind the NBN he tried his best to supress and milk the last drops from his existing business. I'm sure that he was making a motza with the set top boxes at $70 to $100/ month. But he couldn't halt the progress and eventually when cheaper options grew regardless he'd have lost a lot of loyalty by retaining such high prices for a couple of decades while adding minimal new content. I for example won't ever subscribe to any of his services again. I got the shits with watching repeats for months on end 20 years ago when I was in high school.

- Print media and news services- You can see by the polar opposite arguments about this that he's pissed a lot of people off by offering up his biased world views and expecting to still generate maximum profits from it. I imagine that trying to sway politics is his favourite hobby. But he'd probably have made more money if he'd offered balanced opinion. I wouldn't imagine that he's feeling any pinch with cashflow. I'd assume that he gets more kicks from feeling that he can be a kingmaker in politics in some parts of the world.

- Myspace- Not sure what he was thinking on this. I tried it for aout a month back when I had Dial up. Got the shits almost instantly when it'd take 6 minutes to load a page that had no content, just annoying graphics.

He'll die a very rich man even if he has many more massive business failures. But If possible I'm going to charge $1 for people to piss on his grave when he dies and I'll die a rich man too.
Absolutely. Never said I liked the guy. There's lots I don't like about his businesses.
I've never actually had Foxtel - always go to the footy or to the pub.
Kayo made sense to me - cheap and over the interwebs - I don't care that Rupes owns it, it's convenient for me and allows me to watch the Bulldogs away from home.
My argument is he's no dope and his company is not dying.
There's simply no evidence of that.
The landscape has and will continue to change - no question - and he and his successors need to steer that ship.
There's a chance they ignore something and become the next Kodak - but there's no evidence of that happening yet.