Facebook called the bluff lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Huh?
Rupes is pretty good with numbers.
If the original publicly available NBN plan was so grossly under-costed (it was) - why the need to lobby to ‘dumb it down’? The facts are a nowhere near complete network could’ve been built under the original costing and rollout plan.

I’m not blaming Labor - it was an ambitious project - just poorly executed. Abbott was equally wrong when he said no-one would ever need more than 12mb/s.

It’s just not as simple as you’re trying to make it out to be. The NBN plan did not change purely because of Murdoch and the Coalition and that’s indisputable.
There's plenty of articles from original members of the NBN Admin that feel it was Murdoch-Abbott-Turnbull that detailed the roll out. I'm only basing my opinion on what I've read...don't claim to be an expert so agree to disagree with you on this. It was a tragedy the way that national infrustructure was bungled IMO.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Huh?
Rupes is pretty good with numbers.
If the original publicly available NBN plan was so grossly under-costed (it was) - why the need to lobby to ‘dumb it down’? The facts are a nowhere near complete network could’ve been built under the original costing and rollout plan.

I’m not blaming Labor - it was an ambitious project - just poorly executed. Abbott was equally wrong when he said no-one would ever need more than 12mb/s.

It’s just not as simple as you’re trying to make it out to be. The NBN plan did not change purely because of Murdoch and the Coalition and that’s indisputable.
The problem here mate is you cannot foresee how soon that new technology will be available.

An example being climate change, there are some pinning their hope on new technology arising and taking away this problem that scientists have been warning us about for the last 20 years but there's no guarantees of that.

The proposed NBN rolled out under labors plan was an ambitious infrastructure project for all of Australia, and now coupled with 5G technology (that wasn't known of back then) it would have laid some great groundwork for our future.

Given that, at the time, no one knew of 5G nor when that kind of technology would be available, what other reasons were there for the Libs to reject the idea? (Youre right in saying that this will be an ongoing battle given the advances of technology)

They're more than happy to invest in new coal fired power plants don't forget.

The push from Murdoch definitely played its part when this was initially being argued in parliament.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There's plenty of articles from original members of the NBN Admin that feel it was Murdoch-Abbott-Turnbull that detailed the roll out. I'm only basing my opinion on what I've read...don't claim to be an expert so agree to disagree with you on this. It was a tragedy the way that national infrustructure was bungled IMO.
When I said fudged figures I meant the figures Rudd first came up with :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course they blamed the other team - they were all Labor appointees.
Irrespective of politics the numbers don't lie.
An all-fibre network would've taken at least another decade to build and cost north of $100bn.
The line had to be drawn somewhere regardless of who drew it.
It's not an exclusively political argument - it's a technology and commercial argument too.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Simple question what do they make of our news outlets or Australia in general? And how much tax do they pay in our country? I bet nothing, grubs..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t you hear, Murdoch is to blame for everything.
I'm not totally defending him - and don't especially like him.
But anyone who suggests he's not savvy and that News is 'dying' are kidding themselves.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But anyone who suggests he's not savvy and that News is 'dying' are kidding themselves.
Not defending or liking either, just sick of every second post blaming him for everything. It’s pathetic. The bloke obviously is smart and has built an empire, good luck to him. Wish I was in his shoes.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Of course revenue is down.
It’s down everywhere.
A little pandemic caused that.

Of course he’s made mistakes and MySpace was one of them - but News is still not a ‘sinking ship’ no matter which way you slice it.

Netflix burn cash like I’ve never seen.
$25bn revenue for $1.9bn profit - less than 0.01%.

They can’t keep putting up the price either - Disney+ is half the price of Netflix. It’s going to catch up with them sooner or later.
the pandemic wasnt a problem for netflix though, they had a big boost of subscribers because a lot more people were stuck at home watching television, news limited must really suck if they cant do the same

why are you bringing up the $1.67b harper collins revenue as a positive then downplaying the netflix revenue, if netflix had a $1.9B profit then that is much more than 0.01%, its getting close to 10% profit, google revenue is 180B, facebook revenue is 86B, murdoch looks at these companies and is jealous because it could/should have been him doing these things

the only thing that foxtel has left in australia is the main sport coverage, which has been chipped away recently and optus/stan sport would like to continue to chip away

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
From China to The Zuck - ScumMo just loves picking fights with kids who are too big and tough for him. Lol.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont think rod is pointing at news corp dying, more that it has suffered a lot of losses in Australia (correct me if I'm wrong rodzilla).

The loss in sales of its print media and loss of subscribers for foxtel suggest as much that it is losing business in Australia.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Simple question what do they make of our news outlets or Australia in general? And how much tax do they pay in our country? I bet nothing, grubs..
Neither does Rupert

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I dont think rod is pointing at news corp dying, more that it has suffered a lot of losses in Australia (correct me if I'm wrong rodzilla).

The loss in sales of its print media and loss of subscribers for foxtel suggest as much that it is losing business in Australia.
no im saying its dying, foxtel is certainly dying and they had to splinter it off to binge and kayo to stay alive, their print media is dying, they had a massive newspaper purge last year, their online media is hidden behind a paywall that has to compete with free offerings so its dying, myspace is dead, sky news australia has gone off the deep end

they now have to rely on their right wing nutcase customers and nrl/afl to keep them affloat in australia

dinkum dog had to point to their book publishing to explain why they arent dying, ok books have something special and can withstand the new media but its small potatoes

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
same thing happened to the music industry btw, luckily they had great live events to sell

maybe news limited can follow their lead with the miranda devine reading the news and her opinion world tour 2022

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
no im saying its dying, foxtel is certainly dying and they had to splinter it off to binge and kayo to stay alive, their print media is dying, they had a massive newspaper purge last year, their online media is hidden behind a paywall that has to compete with free offerings so its dying, myspace is dead, sky news australia has gone off the deep end

they now have to rely on their right wing nutcase customers and nrl/afl to keep them affloat in australia

dinkum dog had to point to their book publishing to explain why they arent dying, ok books have something special and can withstand the new media but its small potatoes
Yes you're saying what I interpreted you to say.

Don't forget news corp is an American business, with many arms throughout the world. Dinkumdog was speaking about the global brand and its revenue not just the Aussie component

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes you're saying what I interpreted you to say.

Don't forget news corp is an American business, with many arms throughout the world. Dinkumdog was speaking about the global brand and its revenue not just the Aussie component
Rudd asking his half million petition supporters to stop using realestate.com....thats Rupes cash cow in Australia now apparently.