Facebook called the bluff lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I havent read this whole article but it has a
time line on NBN. Time line should be accurate but I don't know what the writers political views are.

It was used as a political football at the behest of Murdoch and shouldn't have been.

You can’t just blame Murdoch.
There’s way more to it than that.

The simple fact is both Labor and the Coalition massively underestimated the reality of the task both in terms of cost and timeline. Both are to blame and eventually 5G will be an affordable alternative that’s superior. That’s why the NBN finished the rollout last year and is now investing in next gen tech:
It’s a never ending battle because technology (and demand for it) is moving so quickly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah. I’m not exactly a fan of Rupes but to suggest he’s the only game in town isn’t right either.
And you said you'd watched The Loudest Voice and you don't blame Rupert! Lol :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Barnsey's videos have also been blocked. now they have gone too far.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
He's a smart guy, you don't get rich giving things away.
I'm sure you wouldn't sit idly by if someone was attacking your empire. Doesn't mean I like him - I don't especially and I'm very anti far right garbage like Fox and Sky News.

But the NBN as it stood in 2013 was impossible to roll out as an all fibre network. That's not to blame Labor - I would've loved an all fibre network but it was just impractical as it was first envisaged - they only finished the rollout last year and that was WITH the MTM. If it were all fibre construction would go on for many more years and cost untold billions more. Rupes was never going to beat the internet and he knew it. Why do you think Foxtel started Kayo and Binge as an example?

As for his ability to not make money - that's just crap - there's a diversified portfolio of profitable businesses - do you honestly think FoxSports and HarperCollins don't make money as just two examples? Or looking more into the digital space, Storyful?

Him wanting governance is no different to when Uber disrupted the taxi industry. The taxi industry demanded it and got it.

His Google deal is smart - and makes sense for both.
Microsoft also support the draft laws.
Zuckerberg is an arrogant punk - and one day he'll pick a fight he won't win.

If you want 'guarantees' - I guarantee you other governments are watching this closely - and if Australia sets the bar others will follow.
fox sports dont make money and harper collins is nothing, news limited is a sinking ship and rupert murdoch shouldnt care as much because he is going to die soon

oh and they are doing the all fibre network now

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Huh?
What did Roger Ailes have to do with the NBN?
Ailes-Murdoch-Fox-disproportional political influence/Murdoch-NBN-disproportionate political influence.

I see the common denominator :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
fox sports dont make money and harper collins is nothing, news limited is a sinking ship and rupert murdoch shouldnt care as much because he is going to die soon
Superbly researched :tearsofjoy:.
FoxSports earned $2.72bn last year.
HarperCollins earned $1.67bn last year.
If that’s ‘nothing’ I’ll take it.
Yeah, he’ll die eventually and he’s preparing for the future, that’s why he sold many Fox entities to Disney for $71bn. With that sort of cash in the bank the ship ain’t sinking regardless of what you might think of it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ailes-Murdoch-Fox-disproportional political influence/Murdoch-NBN-disproportionate political influence.

I see the common denominator :grinning:
OK. Talk about a long bow. But OK.
We’ll just leave aside that the original NBN plan could never have been built for $15bn shall we?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
OK. Talk about a long bow. But OK.
We’ll just leave aside that the original NBN plan could never have been built for $15bn shall we?
No probably fudged the figures to deliver it in the very first instance.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No probably fudged the figures to deliver it in the very first instance.
Huh?
Rupes is pretty good with numbers.
If the original publicly available NBN plan was so grossly under-costed (it was) - why the need to lobby to ‘dumb it down’? The facts are a nowhere near complete network could’ve been built under the original costing and rollout plan.

I’m not blaming Labor - it was an ambitious project - just poorly executed. Abbott was equally wrong when he said no-one would ever need more than 12mb/s.

It’s just not as simple as you’re trying to make it out to be. The NBN plan did not change purely because of Murdoch and the Coalition and that’s indisputable.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Superbly researched :tearsofjoy:.
HarperCollins earned $1.67bn last year.
If that’s ‘nothing’ I’ll take it.
Yeah, he’ll die eventually and he’s preparing for the future, that’s why he sold many Fox entities to Disney for $71bn. With that sort of cash in the bank the ship ain’t sinking regardless of what you might think of it.
that harper collins revenue is down btw, all revenues are down, netflix revenue $25B, murdoch losing money everywhere, foxtel cash cow sinking but hanging his hat on $1.67B revenue from a print publisher

he has lost this media battle just like when he bought myspace for half a billion

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Motherfuckers took down sport bible as well... I’m ready to throw hands

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
that harper collins revenue is down btw, all revenues are down, netflix revenue $25B, murdoch losing money everywhere, foxtel cash cow sinking but hanging his hat on $1.67B revenue from a print publisher

he has lost this media battle just like when he bought myspace for half a billion
Of course revenue is down.
It’s down everywhere.
A little pandemic caused that.

Of course he’s made mistakes and MySpace was one of them - but News is still not a ‘sinking ship’ no matter which way you slice it.

Netflix burn cash like I’ve never seen.
$25bn revenue for $1.9bn profit - less than 0.01%.

They can’t keep putting up the price either - Disney+ is half the price of Netflix. It’s going to catch up with them sooner or later.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Huh?
Rupes is pretty good with numbers.
If the original publicly available NBN plan was so grossly under-costed (it was) - why the need to lobby to ‘dumb it down’? The facts are a nowhere near complete network could’ve been built under the original costing and rollout plan.

I’m not blaming Labor - it was an ambitious project - just poorly executed. Abbott was equally wrong when he said no-one would ever need more than 12mb/s.

It’s just not as simple as you’re trying to make it out to be. The NBN plan did not change purely because of Murdoch and the Coalition and that’s indisputable.
Didn’t you hear, Murdoch is to blame for everything.