Facebook called the bluff lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I went through the stuff I could find, and it looks like even though Murdoch was pushing the hardest, Fairfax, ABC and the Guardian all supported the Facebook fund. So this pretty much sums it up...

FB_IMG_1613619933518.jpg

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I went through the stuff I could find, and it looks like even though Murdoch was pushing the hardest, Fairfax, ABC and the Guardian all supported the Facebook fund. So this pretty much sums it up...

View attachment 21393
The ABC are the worst with crying about not keeping up with the changing media industry and missing the good old days.. Always threatening the public with the “more cuts to the ABC means less freedom for Australians”.. I get it you don’t want to lose your job but nor does the bloke doing house cleaning in the day on air tasker and Uber eats driver at night and working a few shifts in a cafe at weekends but they don’t get to threaten to mess up your house or eat your pizza delivery or spit in your coffee if they look like losing their job.. They should though..

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why are people are losing their minds over this? Facebook is a public company not a public utility. There’s no innate right of use.

The only reason they don’t charge users for subscriptions is they sell your data and make a boat load more with advertisers. Maybe the media companies do the same and remove the paywalls. Anyone who’s serious about news wouldn’t be getting it from Facebook anyway.

As for critical information like health and wellbeing or pandemic information - if Facebook is your source you’re doing it wrong anyway.

At least Google had the smarts to engage and work out some deals. Facebook in their typical snarky style just switched content off. Shows how much they respect other entities let alone Government. If you shook Zuckerberg’s hand you’d have to count your fingers on the way back. Remember what he said at the very beginning in Harvard in 2004:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Why are people are losing their minds over this? Facebook is a public company not a public utility. There’s no innate right of use.

The only reason they don’t charge users for subscriptions is they sell your data and make a boat load more with advertisers. Maybe the media companies do the same and remove the paywalls. Anyone who’s serious about news wouldn’t be getting it from Facebook anyway.

As for critical information like health and wellbeing or pandemic information - if Facebook is your source you’re doing it wrong anyway.

At least Google had the smarts to engage and work out some deals. Facebook in their typical snarky style just switched content off. Shows how much they respect other entities let alone Government. If you shook Zuckerberg’s hand you’d have to count your fingers on the way back. Remember what he said at the very beginning in Harvard in 2004:
Because how am I supposed to know if it’s sunny outside if ‘Chloe Balderdash22’ didn’t post a picture of her in a bikini with her two year old boy on the beach in her fake Gucci sunglasses with fake everything else showcased with a carefully orchestrated picnic setup with the caption - OMG Love This Hot Weather... How else would I get my weather forecasts bro??

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because how am I supposed to know if it’s sunny outside if ‘Chloe Balderdash22’ didn’t post a picture of her in a bikini with her two year old boy on the beach in her fake Gucci sunglasses with fake everything else showcased with a carefully orchestrated picnic setup with the caption - OMG Love This Hot Weather... How else would I get my weather forecasts bro??
And the prosecution rests :tearsofjoy:.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The Australian government loves to shake down people for money and loves to do favours for murdoch for money

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why are people are losing their minds over this?
Because it’s a chance to attack the federal government and Murdoch (yawn) in the same post

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It wont last long probably.

Once Rupert sees the full affect of loosing FB clicks on his locked sites, and more importantly his advertisers start seeing the reduced traffic, this will all be re-negotiated with FB ...and Google wont be happy they are paying either.
i would love it if he ended up having to pay facebook, its like when george costanza tried to negotiate for more money from nbc but ended up taking less money

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because it’s a chance to attach the federal government and Murdoch (yawn) in the same post
Yeah. I’m not exactly a fan of Rupes but to suggest he’s the only game in town isn’t right either.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
i would love it if he ended up having to pay facebook, its like when george costanza tried to negotiate for more money from nbc but ended up taking less money
That actually made me laugh

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yeah. I’m not exactly a fan of Rupes but to suggest he’s the only game in town isn’t right either.
i guarantee that guy is behind this move, he successfully got the liberal government to sabotage the NBN rollout, he cant make money from news anymore so he needs a shakedown and he needs the government to do it

this is like if they made everyone who used the new sydney harbour bridge to pay the old ferry operators who couldnt make any money anymore and were going out of business, or even worse if you recommended a restaurant to all your friends and then the restaurant wants you to pay them for sending people

how about the government stay out of it, let news limited die

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any issue with the government wanting to tax these companies to benefit the population. But this is clearly just trying to help one of their donors get their hands on more money.

And lets play the slippery slope game. What if regulation of this type of thing led to forums etc being charged to post articles?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That actually made me laugh
it should happen, i dont understand how news limited or other media companies are losing out, maybe if people are describing the news and other people arent paying for it because they got a description, but fuck them and their government puppets including the prime minister scott morrison who should feel embarrassed

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
it should happen, i dont understand how news limited or other media companies are losing out, maybe if people are describing the news and other people arent paying for it because they got a description, but fuck them and their government puppets including the prime minister scott morrison who should feel embarrassed
Morrison loves handing out favors and obliged to hand out money to his benefactor Rupert.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The owner of Betoota was just on ABC radio and thankfully its back on F :grinning: Not happy with Morrison Govt tho.

To summarise ...thinks the Govt are incompetent and you only have to look at their negotiation skills to find our wine, coal and beef imports stopped by China primarily bc Govt are clumsy clots, so he thinks its no wonder Australia finds itself in a confrontation with the tech giants and Govt cant win on this at their present level of rhetoric.

With all thats going on in the world, ask yourself why Australia is going it alone (first) fighting this fight for the media barons.

Bc they own them.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
i guarantee that guy is behind this move, he successfully got the liberal government to sabotage the NBN rollout, he cant make money from news anymore so he needs a shakedown and he needs the government to do it

this is like if they made everyone who used the new sydney harbour bridge to pay the old ferry operators who couldnt make any money anymore and were going out of business, or even worse if you recommended a restaurant to all your friends and then the restaurant wants you to pay them for sending people

how about the government stay out of it, let news limited die
He's a smart guy, you don't get rich giving things away.
I'm sure you wouldn't sit idly by if someone was attacking your empire. Doesn't mean I like him - I don't especially and I'm very anti far right garbage like Fox and Sky News.

But the NBN as it stood in 2013 was impossible to roll out as an all fibre network. That's not to blame Labor - I would've loved an all fibre network but it was just impractical as it was first envisaged - they only finished the rollout last year and that was WITH the MTM. If it were all fibre construction would go on for many more years and cost untold billions more. Rupes was never going to beat the internet and he knew it. Why do you think Foxtel started Kayo and Binge as an example?

As for his ability to not make money - that's just crap - there's a diversified portfolio of profitable businesses - do you honestly think FoxSports and HarperCollins don't make money as just two examples? Or looking more into the digital space, Storyful?

Him wanting governance is no different to when Uber disrupted the taxi industry. The taxi industry demanded it and got it.

His Google deal is smart - and makes sense for both.
Microsoft also support the draft laws.
Zuckerberg is an arrogant punk - and one day he'll pick a fight he won't win.

If you want 'guarantees' - I guarantee you other governments are watching this closely - and if Australia sets the bar others will follow.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I havent read this whole article but it has a
time line on NBN. Time line should be accurate but I don't know what the writers political views are.

It was used as a political football at the behest of Murdoch and shouldn't have been.