Facebook called the bluff lol

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The thread title is probably not quite right and I get the argument from old media but it’s pretty funny the old boys couldn’t bully the new..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/13166208

Facebook news ban stops Australians from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content
Posted 3hhours ago, updated 9mminutesago
Silhouette of two people using laptops in front of the Facebook logo.
The move comes a day after Nine and Seven West Media reportedly made multi-million-dollar deals with Google.(Reuters: Dado Ruvic/Illustration)
Australians are being blocked from accessing news in their Facebook feeds, in a dramatic escalation of the social media giant's stand-off with the federal government.
Key points:
  • The move is in response to proposed laws that would force tech companies to pay for news content
  • It would also prevent people overseas from sharing Australian content on the social media site
  • The company says "value exchange between Facebook and publishers runs in favour of the publishers"
Australians waking up this morning found they were blocked from receiving news from publishers' pages, including news organisations like the ABC.
The social media giant said it made the move in response to the government's proposed media bargaining laws, which would force major tech giants to pay Australian news outlets for their content.
The move also prevents people overseas from sharing Australian content on the social media site.
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg tweeted that he had held "constructive" talks with Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg this morning, while Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said Facebook should "think very carefully about what this means for its reputation and standing".
Facebook said the proposed Australian law fundamentally misunderstood the relationship between their platform and publishers who use it to share news content.
It said it faced the stark choice between attempting to comply with a law, or banning news content on its services in Australia — and "with a heavy heart" it was choosing the latter.
The move came a day after Nine and Seven West Media reportedly made multi-million-dollar deals with Google for use of content.

We understand many will ask why the platforms may respond differently," the Facebook statement said.

"The answer is because our platforms have fundamentally different relationships with news.

"Google Search is inextricably intertwined with news and publishers do not voluntarily provide their content."

The social media giant said it had explained for months that "the value exchange between Facebook and publishers runs in favour of the publishers — which is the reverse of what the legislation would require the arbitrator to assume".

"Last year Facebook generated approximately 5.1 billion free referrals to Australian publishers worth an estimated AU$407 million."

The company said what it gained from news content was "minimal", and made up about 4 per cent of what people saw in their newsfeed.

Last edited:

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
How will I know if we are in a lockdown now?
FB was really the only way I did get my news.

Dont watch TV unless of course the footy is on

Itll be interesting to see how this plays out

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I don’t like Facebook haven’t logged onto my account in over 10 years but I do love how old media is getting the shits with new media going like you can’t innovate we run this shit you ow us money and the new kid on the bloke tells them to get fucked..

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I’m so happy about this. I hate when people share Facebook news like it’s even slightly factual
I like how the news outlets are like oh wait shit they didn’t pay us our bully money but also now we are not going to get paid because people won’t share our stories and click the links to see our advertisement.. Oh shit Facebook we didn’t mean it we were just joking..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m so happy about this. I hate when people share Facebook news like it’s even slightly factual
If I share a news article i found on FB, it from an actual news site. If anything, this leads to more misinformation, as reputable/known sites are blocked, but the crazy shit can continue.

This goes much deeper than a few people not being able to share articles. Bureau of Meteorology is down, so is Queensland Health, Urban list etc. I have friends with businesses who are currently unable to use Facebook to properly market.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
If I share a news article i found on FB, it from an actual news site. If anything, this leads to more misinformation, as reputable/known sites are blocked, but the crazy shit can continue.

This goes much deeper than a few people not being able to share articles. Bureau of Meteorology is down, so is Queensland Health, Urban list etc. I have friends with businesses who are currently unable to use Facebook to properly market.
I didn’t know that as I’ve said I haven’t logged into Facebook in it’s actually 12 years so I don’t really understand how it works but essential services like government announcements, weather, health ect should not be banned.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn’t know that as I’ve said I haven’t logged into Facebook in it’s actually 12 years so I don’t really understand how it works but essential services like government announcements, weather, health ect should not be banned.
I think as Facebook sorts out its algorithms etc, these sites will flow back.

Even Facebook's own Facebook page is blocked.

1613602833493.png

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

We’ll survive. At least google had the decency to pay their way. Facebook can get fucked. I deleted my personal account a decade ago too

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The main issue here is that it's filtering news for the biggest news sources. Google has agreed to pay Nine News $30 Mil but hasn't agreed to any others yet. Google won't deal with smaller news sources so it pretty much destroys them and monopolises the news.

Facebook full block is definitely going to do more damage but at least it's not allowing news monopolies.

It is hitting non-main stream news sources already. I have friends that run an Australian gaming news website and they are predicting a massive loss of advertising revenue.

I don't blame Google or Facebook for this though. It's the Australian government's fault. I have no idea how they thought this would help the Australian press.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The main issue here is that it's filtering news for the biggest news sources. Google has agreed to pay Nine News $30 Mil but hasn't agreed to any others yet. Google won't deal with smaller news sources so it pretty much destroys them and monopolises the news.

Facebook full block is definitely going to do more damage but at least it's not allowing news monopolies.

It is hitting non-main stream news sources already. I have friends that run an Australian gaming news website and they are predicting a massive loss of advertising revenue.

I don't blame Google or Facebook for this though. It's the Australian government's fault. I have no idea how they thought this would help the Australian press.
I just don’t think it’s fair Facebook used news content without paying for it. Why should they get away with it just because they are from the top end of town to quote Labor

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

100%.

I'm no Facebook Fanboi, but it gives Australian sites access to over a billion people. Facebook are of course making money, but so are the sites who use FB to promote their businesses.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don’t think it’s fair Facebook used news content without paying for it. Why should they get away with it just because they are from the top end of town to quote Labor
There's definitely some downsides to it. Articles shared on Facebook would often show enough of the article that people wouldn't need to open it, but it also lead to the click bait phenomenon that brought lots of clicks and advertising revenue to News sites.

With the news sites now blocked, those sites are losing a lot of revenue. Facebook was basically free advertising for them. That's why so many news sources were against the government forcing Facebook to pay. They knew it would result in them losing money.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible to actually delete your account?
Nah, you can delete it quite easily. Most people just deactivate the account so they can re-activate it later. But you can also delete it which wipes out every post you ever made.

It's generally a good practice if you're applying for a new job. Wipe your account then create a new account and set it to private.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible to actually delete your account?
So I did or thought I did 12 years ago long forgot my password and even email address I would have used and about 5 years ago it got onto the subject and a mate is like no you still have an account. I was like no I definitely don’t and he showed me on his Facebook well what’s this. Yep still had an account hadn’t personally been active on there in like I said 12 years but had been tagged numerous times over the years since in photos with mates and had many people wish me happy birthday ect over the years. Don’t ask me how it was still there but it was. It’s still there today.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's definitely some downsides to it. Articles shared on Facebook would often show enough of the article that people wouldn't need to open it, but it also lead to the click bait phenomenon that brought lots of clicks and advertising revenue to News sites.

With the news sites now blocked, those sites are losing a lot of revenue. Facebook was basically free advertising for them. That's why so many news sources were against the government forcing Facebook to pay. They knew it would result in them losing money.
That's the thing - was there a single news outlet that wanted the government to do this?

Edit: apart from newscorp?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Murdoch demanded it so whatever Rupert wants: Rupert gets and stuff everyone else.

The first legislation the Govt put up did not include ABC or SBS for financial reimbursement when using their media.

Greens and Labor complained as those Govt entities could use the money too just like Newscorp and Nine, Stokes' 7 media etc.

They asked Rupert and he said he had no objection, so Govt included ABC and SBS ...but they cant keep the reimbursements for their content thats used.

Corrupt.