Perth - opens up a new time slot and they are gagging for a team
Central coast- ready made market with a ready made team
Castle Hill- growing northern Sydney area with Aussies
South Island Nz- just to try and get a new market

That would be my pick in order

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perth is by far and away the obvious next choice.

Being an Aussie living in NZ, I wish I could argue a case for a second NZ team - but they don't deserve it to be honest. It's hard enough getting Aucklanders to care, let alone the rest of the country. I blame the Warriors mostly. If they'd won a Premiership I have no doubts we'd have a better case for a second team.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perth is by far and away the obvious next choice.

Being an Aussie living in NZ, I wish I could argue a case for a second NZ team - but they don't deserve it to be honest. It's hard enough getting Aucklanders to care, let alone the rest of the country. I blame the Warriors mostly. If they'd won a Premiership I have no doubts we'd have a better case for a second team.
Now
All the union players are pissing off to Japan might be the time to step in haha

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate…WTF…? Clearly you have never been to the ground. It’s a great place to watch footy and cricket…
I went once.. I hate watching League games at Cricket Ovals in general. I've been to a bunch of games at the SCG too. Even the good seats have a shit view compared to a rectangular stadium

I appreciate the history of the ground and said they should play a few games there every year if they ever get back in the comp. Which I hope they do..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
THE BEARS ARE A FUCKING MUST PLEASE. !!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
A Pacific Island team would be unsustainable. Can't see how they would fund it.

Perth should be the next team included.
Yeah it’s one of the silliest ideas imaginable.
The only way it could possibly work would be Fiji. Which has a population less than the central coast, but still a population no less.
But you’d need Fijians to be gagging for a team. Half of Fiji is Hindu and they don’t care about rugby and the black ones mainly support union. They like league but they love Union.
Then there’s logistical challenges, recruitment challenges, it’ll be heavy duty.
And it’s my opinion that the ones that succeed will disappear to Union when they get the chance.
This happens 80% of the time a true Fijian makes it into the nrl.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best commercial and sponsorship opportunities lie with teams playing in new time zones where another game could be slotted in. Plus I felt we should not have got rid of some of our new teams in the past that were building a good support base and getting decent crowds. In order of preference I'd go with:

1) Perth - Time zone, one state team, tick tick - however the NRL might have missed the boat not getting Andrew Twiggy Forrest involved both years ago and especially when the Western Force was initially axed from Super Rugby.

2) New Zealand team - allows one game each week in NZ from their time zone.

3) Adelaide - Thought they were doing okay last time round and were a victim of reunifying the competition after the Super League war. Could be the relocated Bears.

4) Don't mind the Pasifika idea but thinking it's sounds like it might be too hard to work properly tbh. Maybe they could be based out of Darwin instead of Qld (if flight connections were direct) to gain some extra local support and play at least one game per year in Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu and Fiji plus 2 games in PNG. However not a preferred option. Not sure exactly how Moana Pasifika is set up in Super Rugby.

5) If the other options aren't feasible then the amalgamated Brisbane Jets bid.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
4) Don't mind the Pasifika idea but thinking it's sounds like it might be too hard to work properly tbh. Maybe they could be based out of Darwin instead of Qld (if flight connections were direct) to gain some extra local support and play at least one game per year in Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu and Fiji plus 2 games in PNG. However not a preferred option. Not sure exactly how Moana Pasifika is set up in Super Rugby.
No drama with the rest of yo post bro but step back and re-read this one. It’s ridiculous.
Why would we have a Tongan team out of Darwin? No one would get behind that.
The Moana Super Rugby team I also don’t fully know about but Union is the dominant code in Tonga and Fiji (Fiji da big population centre) and fiddy fiddy in Samoa. So they have more groundswell but even so I’ll be surprised if they is profitable. They have Al peer salary cap and as a state team (kind) they just need 30 Guys signed up.
I see no evidence Vanuatu ppl like league.
And If you hold the game in Nuku alofa (capital of tonga for example) and exactly half the population rock up that’s only a crowd of 13000

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No drama with the rest of yo post bro but step back and re-read this one. It’s ridiculous.
Why would we have a Tongan team out of Darwin? No one would get behind that.
The Moana Super Rugby team I also don’t fully know about but Union is the dominant code in Tonga and Fiji (Fiji da big population centre) and fiddy fiddy in Samoa. So they have more groundswell but even so I’ll be surprised if they is profitable. They have Al peer salary cap and as a state team (kind) they just need 30 Guys signed up.
I see no evidence Vanuatu ppl like league.
And If you hold the game in Nuku alofa (capital of tonga for example) and exactly half the population rock up that’s only a crowd of 13000
Yep which is why I don't think Pacifika will work. The suggested base of Cairns I also don't believe will work. Probably should have just said the concept is a bad idea in my initial comments. Also nobody is expecting 13,000 crowds in Tonga it was simply about taking a game there and it certainly won't be making money.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep which is why I don't think Pacifika will work. The suggested base of Cairns I also don't believe will work. Probably should have just said the concept is a bad idea in my initial comments.
I think you were spitballing and brainstorming out loud which is understandable but it’s unworkable.
Even more than PnG.