Opinion Expansion, who do you want in?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
They would win the wooden spoon every single year without top Aussie players.
At least they wouldn't be lazy, entitled fuckers playing for their purse. IE college ball vs NFL.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the NRL needs to really inject cash into the lower grades, not just teams affiliated with NRL clubs. Just my opinion, but there'd be a lot of players that might have come good in time if not for the fact that playing league for a hobby can really fuck you over if you cop a bad injury that forces you to miss work.

Inject enough cash that you could have a couple of semi professional teams in a lot of different regions and I think some slower developing players might filter in and provide quality enough to make more teams viable.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A Pacific Island team would be unsustainable. Can't see how they would fund it.
Perth should be the next team included.
Fund it? They would get an allowance from the NRL same as every other team that covers their Salary Cap and their coaching staff. If they partner with the Bears then they wouldn't have to pay for NSW Cup or pathways teams. Plus the Australian Government has pledged funds if necessary.

Always a Bulldog

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why stop at 3
I say bring in 5 then we can chose who to fuck off.
One of:
Parramatta
Dragons
Souths

Should be the first ones discussed

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fund it? They would get an allowance from the NRL same as every other team that covers their Salary Cap and their coaching staff. If they partner with the Bears then they wouldn't have to pay for NSW Cup or pathways teams. Plus the Australian Government has pledged funds if necessary.

Always a Bulldog
What's the point of partnering with the bears if the aim of the Pacific team is to create pathways for the Pacific Island players. Right now there is not one single NRL player that was born and developed in the Pacific. RU players don't count.

The cost of developing players over a wide geographical space would be expensive. Not to mention the cost of telecasting games over there.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the point of partnering with the bears if the aim of the Pacific team is to create pathways for the Pacific Island players. Right now there is not one single NRL player that was born and developed in the Pacific. RU players don't count.

The cost of developing players over a wide geographical space would be expensive. Not to mention the cost of telecasting games over there.
Using Fiji as example and keeping in mind that it takes less time to fly from Sydney to Fiji (3,100 kms) than it does to Perth (3,900 kms).

The Bears (if they aligned with, say, Fiji) would be crazy if they didn't locate a scout and start recruiting schoolboys from there, they can take advantage of schooling here while developing their league skills. Everybody wins, some will make the grade and even if they don't make it they can go back to Fiji and talk about their experiences and share their learnings. A golden opportunity to break the Union stranglehold in Fijian schools.

Some examples of Fijian born and raised NRL players that were scouted and brought here, only from memory, there are probably more;
Marika Koroibete plays union now but he played for the Tigers and Melbourne for a combined 6 years.
Tui Kamikamica plays for Melbourne
Semi Radradra
Viliame Kikau, needs no introduction, scouted by Adrian Thomson in a schoolboy match.
Noa Nadruku, possibly the first

Always a Bulldog

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Using Fiji as example and keeping in mind that it takes less time to fly from Sydney to Fiji (3,100 kms) than it does to Perth (3,900 kms).

The Bears (if they aligned with, say, Fiji) would be crazy if they didn't locate a scout and start recruiting schoolboys from there, they can take advantage of schooling here while developing their league skills. Everybody wins, some will make the grade and even if they don't make it they can go back to Fiji and talk about their experiences and share their learnings. A golden opportunity to break the Union stranglehold in Fijian schools.

Some examples of Fijian born and raised NRL players that were scouted and brought here, only from memory, there are probably more;
Marika Koroibete plays union now but he played for the Tigers and Melbourne for a combined 6 years.
Tui Kamikamica plays for Melbourne
Semi Radradra
Viliame Kikau, needs no introduction, scouted by Adrian Thomson in a schoolboy match.
Noa Nadruku, possibly the first

Always a Bulldog
They're all RU players .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They're all RU players.
So what, Union is played in all schools in Fiji, that's the history and even that hasn't stopped many moving to league very successfully. A Fijian NRL team would change that instantly.

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
5 hour flight form Sydney to Perth. All things considered better part of a day flying 1 way. Wouldnt that take its toll on a Perth based or visiting team?
Already have teams flying interstate and to NZ

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Warriors played another NZ team I wouldn't watch it even if I was paid. I never mind not watching warriors tbh unless dogs are playing them.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Better to reduce the teams and concentrate the talent for a better comp, kick out para, manly, roosters and the sharks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
5 hour flight form Sydney to Perth. All things considered better part of a day flying 1 way. Wouldnt that take its toll on a Perth based or visiting team?
Already have teams flying interstate and to NZ
You have teams in New York and L.A in every American sporting competition and they manage. 5 hours isn't that bad..

There's a Perth/W.A team in the AFL, NBL, A-League, Cricket etc. If the NRL wants to actually be a truly national competition, then they need more teams outside of the Eastern seaboard and Perth makes the most sense for a tonne of reasons..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You have teams in New York and L.A in every American sporting competition and they manage. 5 hours isn't that bad..

There's a Perth/W.A team in the AFL, NBL, A-League, Cricket etc. If the NRL wants to actually be a truly national competition, then they need more teams outside of the Eastern seaboard and Perth makes the most sense for a tonne of reasons..
I remember last year we played the Cowboys than Warriors away short turn around from memory. We played poor in NZ and I dont think its a stretch to say travel had an effect on our performance. NRL scheduling isnt perfect.
Different sports, different demands on the body. Look at Pele for example. Bloke isnt at a level yet were he he can handle long stints on the field.
NRL is a very demanding outdoor sport sometimes played in not ideal conditions (take last weekend as an example).

I dont think Melbourne Storm is a success. Ive lived in Melbourne for a number of years and no-one I met cared for Rugby League. Certainly got no love or support from Melbourne TV or printed media. AFL mad. But it could be completely different in WA, I really dont know.

Im not saying it cant be done or done successfully in WA

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Perth is by far and away the obvious next choice.

Being an Aussie living in NZ, I wish I could argue a case for a second NZ team - but they don't deserve it to be honest. It's hard enough getting Aucklanders to care, let alone the rest of the country. I blame the Warriors mostly. If they'd won a Premiership I have no doubts we'd have a better case for a second team.
Bears were the obvious choice last time, and the bloody NRL went with the Dolphins :rage: - I actually think the Gold Coast (who have now had 4 identities, all of which have failed), should have moved to Redcliffe rather than use the license for that team.

That leaves us with 4 teams to make up the 20, so...

- Perth Reds
- Bears (Central Coast 9 games, North Sydney Oval 3 games)
- Adelaide Rams
- Wellington (having a second NZ team will help the game down there, us vs them mentality).

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Mate…WTF…? Clearly you have never been to the ground. It’s a great place to watch footy and cricket…
Generally speaking, cricket grounds are crap for rugby league spectators. Too far away from the action.