EXCUSES

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watching the Maty johns podcast, and they where talking about rebuilding is nothing more than an excuse for the administration to buy itself time. And couldn't agree more.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watching the Maty johns podcast, and they where talking about rebuilding is nothing more than an excuse for the administration to buy itself time. And couldn't agree more.
were they referring to Dogs specifically or in general? wonder if he was saying that whilst brown was rebuilding the knights

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It depends on the circumstances. I have my doubts about those running the club but to be fair, a complete rebuild was needed last season considering the state the club was in and the cap issues we had. So it was a reason for the rebuild, not an excuse.

Moving forward I don't think it can be used as an excuse though as it shouldn't take more than two years max, especially when you see other clubs turn things around completely in one year.

The pressure is certainly on the club to make the right decisions from now on.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way Des was dealing with contracts, there's no other word that describes our situation other than "rebuild"... look at what he did to Manly! Until we have paid all our current and ex players back ended contracts then this is a rebuild. Once our salary cap is back to normal then there's no more excuses.

Last edited:

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The way Des was dealing with contracts, there's no other word that describes our situation other than "rebuild"... look at what he did to Manly! Until we have paid all our current and ex players front loaded contracts then this is a rebuild. Once our salary cap is back to normal then there's no more excuses.
The Roosters get rid of Cronk and the end of this year and the Rabbitohs lose Inglis and all of a sudden they have $1m spare. Do you really believe what our board is saying after getting rid of 1/2 a team.
Reynolds at least $500k
Graham $650000
Eastwood $800000
Morris boys combined $1.2m
Mybe $700000
Woods $800000
That’s at least $4.5m for them let alone anyone else I’ve missed, if we were to pay at least 1/2 that total to other clubs to take them why then don’t we have $2.5m spare. I’ll tell you why it’s all bullshit from the board and M Johns is talking about us.
Oh yeah there was also Klemmer on big coin. Two years and we are still fed bullshit from a board that is only interested in getting re-elected by continually reminding voters of the old boards errors, makes you think why.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence.. that’s the question :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Common sense really.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I quickly look at Panthers 2003, Bulldogs 2009 and Roosters 2010. In all cases these teams were absolute rock bottom 12 months earlier. They didn't need no 5 year plan, they just went out and bought better players or the players already there stepped up.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are under the cap this year.. the only player we are paying this year that is not with us is Mbye.. under 200K

We have no salary cap problem..

Their was a big fuss made about us having 5 spots to fill for 500K, as was said by player manager last year thats normal for most clubs, most clubs fill their last 8 spots with minimum wage players..

Woods and Mbye were let go not because we were over salary cap.. it was to give Pay a just to build his own squad and spend the cash where he wanted..

Salary cap wise, Pay has got a clean slate..

the issue remains the unused salary cap, older heads that have been with our club since Bullfrog days have said we never have such a high % of cap unused, its not the type of club weve ever been ..

Any salary cap money not used by the club remains with the football club to do with as they wish..

The club recently sacked 4 footy club employees - yet to be replaced, further reducing operating costs..and at the moment CAs role is very broad..

The club has already publicly declared it wont hit the market for big names until 2020 so for the 2021 season..

So unless we go on a signing spree this year or make some mid season moves next year we will again have a considerable unused cap next year..

Last edited:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We are under the cap this year.. the only player we are paying this year that is not with us is Mbye.. under 200K

We have no salary cap problem..

Their was a big fuss made about us having 5 spots to fill for 500K, as was said by player manager last year thats normal for most clubs, most clubs fill their last 8 spots with minimum wage players..

Woods and Mbye were let go not because we were over salary cap.. it was to give Pay a just to build his own squad and spend the cash where he wanted..

Salary cap wise, Pay has got a clean slate..

the issue remains the unused salary cap, older heads that have been with our club since Bullfrog days have said we never have such a high % of cap unused, its not the type of club weve ever been ..

Any salary cap money not used by the club remains with the football club to do with as they wish..

The club recently sacked 4 footy club employees - yet to be replaced, further reducing operating costs..and at the moment CAs role is very broad..

The club has already publicly declared it wont hit the market for big names until 2020 so for the 2021 season..

So unless we go on a signing spree this year or make some mid season moves next year we will again have a considerable unused cap next year..
I think that players like Holland, Jackson, Tolman and Floppa are on fat back ended deals and no matter what the club does there will still be a massive tab to pickup. The tab is so massive that their market value is substantially less than their contract value which means whoever comes in will be an an average young player. Throw in the 30 man squad cap, and you have an explanation as to why those players have not been moved on. All spec tho.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters get rid of Cronk and the end of this year and the Rabbitohs lose Inglis and all of a sudden they have $1m spare. Do you really believe what our board is saying after getting rid of 1/2 a team.
Reynolds at least $500k
Graham $650000
Eastwood $800000
Mybe $700000
Woods $800000
That’s at least $4.5m for them let alone anyone else I’ve missed, if we were to pay at least 1/2 that total to other clubs to take them why then don’t we have $2.5m spare. I’ll tell you why it’s all bullshit from the board and M Johns is talking about us.
Oh yeah there was also Klemmer on big coin. Two years and we are still fed bullshit from a board that is only interested in getting re-elected by continually reminding voters of the old boards errors, makes you think why.
I thought there's a few player with significant back ended contracts that we will be paying this year and maybe next year??

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that players like Holland, Jackson, Tolman and Floppa are on fat back ended deals and no matter what the club does there will still be a massive tab to pickup. The tab is so massive that their market value is substantially less than their contract value which means whoever comes in will be an an average young player. Throw in the 30 man squad cap, and you have an explanation as to why those players have not been moved on. All spec tho.
You know this or you think you know this?
Because one of the players you mentioned Tolman is not on a back ended contract and his contract is worth approximately $500k p.a.
How does $500k compare to his market value do you think.

Also why on earth would Holland be on a back ended contract?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Reynolds at least $500k
Graham $650000
Eastwood $800000
Mybe $700000
Woods $800000
A simple one first, Graham was a swap for Woods, so you can’t include both.

We were ~$3m OVER the cap. Letting go of Reynolds, Woods, Mbye, Eastwood and Mozzies got us cap compliant. Not $3m UNDER the cap.

Best guess is we had 5% spare which the NRL allows, say, $500k, then Klemmer deserted his back ended contract and we got Napa for, say, $300k less. Hence right now we have around $800k spare. Journos, because they can’t count, round whatever it actually is up to $1m.

The difference to the Chooks and Wabbits is that they are cap compliant now (well according to the NRL anyway) and so losing a player frees up space under the cap to whatever their contract value is.

There’s an open to members session with the Board tonight at 6pm, feel free to come along and ask any questions that you like, I will.

Go Dogs

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A simple one first, Graham was a swap for Woods, so you can’t include both.

We were ~$3m OVER the cap. Letting go of Reynolds, Woods, Mbye, Eastwood and Mozzies got us cap compliant. Not $3m UNDER the cap.

Best guess is we had 5% spare which the NRL allows, say, $500k, then Klemmer deserted his back ended contract and we got Napa for, say, $300k less. Hence right now we have around $800k spare. Journos, because they can’t count, round whatever it actually is up to $1m.

The difference to the Chooks and Wabbits is that they are cap compliant now (well according to the NRL anyway) and so losing a player frees up space under the cap to whatever their contract value is.

There’s an open to members session with the Board tonight at 6pm, feel free to come along and ask any questions that you like, I will.

Go Dogs
$3m over, please.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the cap experts in here have no idea! No one does except the club and NRL!
It’s obvious there is something wrong with our cap when you look at the players that left and who we replaced them with. I really struggle to believe we have much money left for this season otherwise we wouldn’t have filled the top 30.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All the cap experts in here have no idea! No one does except the club and NRL!
It’s obvious there is something wrong with our cap when you look at the players that left and who we replaced them with. I really struggle to believe we have much money at left for this season otherwise we wouldn’t have filled the top 30.
Haha agree, find it funny so many like to argue about something they have no idea about just assume.
One would think we have money to burn given the team as a whole, but no one on here would know. If we are struggling for $$ looking from outside in we must have issues, although if we arent what are we building for?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also why on earth would Holland be on a back ended contract?
Back ending contracts has nothing to do with talent or playing ability. Once you start back ending contracts you have to do them all because it’s the only way you can make any signings. There’s a high chance any contracts signed with Dib involved were back ended.