News EXCLUSIVE: The James Tedesco inspiration that's fuelling Jake Averillo

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs fullback Jake Averillo has revealed how countless hours of watching James Tedesco on video have paved the way for his sensational form over the past month.

Averillo, who was yesterday ruled out of this weekend's clash with the Titans due to COVID-19, has been a revelation since being switched to fullback four rounds ago.

After inconsistent showings at halfback and centre, Averillo has found a home at fullback, scoring six tries in four games.

He has been a key figure in the Bulldogs' turnaround in recent weeks and is quick to thank Tedesco - and former Bulldogs fullback/winger Steve Turner.

"Steve has been a great help to me and we have been spending hours watching Tedesco and what he does on the field," Averillo told Wide World of Sports.

"He is the best in the business and his positional play is always exceptional."

Averillo is enjoying the move to fullback, playing the best football of his career in the crucial spot.

"You get more space to run and I'm finding that suits me," he said.

"It wasn't easy at first though - not so much in attack but defence.

"You have to be really spot-on with your positioning and organising the front line. But I'm learning every week and hopefully I can keep improving."
6A0F68A0-09DB-425A-B870-73D1EE9E9C04.jpeg

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs fullback Jake Averillo has revealed how countless hours of watching James Tedesco on video have paved the way for his sensational form over the past month.

Averillo, who was yesterday ruled out of this weekend's clash with the Titans due to COVID-19, has been a revelation since being switched to fullback four rounds ago.

After inconsistent showings at halfback and centre, Averillo has found a home at fullback, scoring six tries in four games.

He has been a key figure in the Bulldogs' turnaround in recent weeks and is quick to thank Tedesco - and former Bulldogs fullback/winger Steve Turner.

"Steve has been a great help to me and we have been spending hours watching Tedesco and what he does on the field," Averillo told Wide World of Sports.

"He is the best in the business and his positional play is always exceptional."

Averillo is enjoying the move to fullback, playing the best football of his career in the crucial spot.

"You get more space to run and I'm finding that suits me," he said.

"It wasn't easy at first though - not so much in attack but defence.

"You have to be really spot-on with your positioning and organising the front line. But I'm learning every week and hopefully I can keep improving."
View attachment 57375
Great stuff Jake. I was going to say his support play has been great - almost Tedesco like. I love that he's working on his game by studying the best. If he becomes half the player Tedesco is, we'll have a gun. Just imagine him with an offseason under his belt and improved fitness. He needs to follow TPJ and King around and he'll be set

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly when your fullback your more free to roam and players get involved more, touch the ball more, around the ball more, you got space to work with, sometimes you need a change and see whats best for the team and the player himself

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s sad we persisted with Barrett all the players looked depressed playing under him,Josh Jackson needs to be checked for concussion because he has a major love fest for Trent why I don’t know ?
Basically we could of played free as we have been the last two years and likely pushed for the top 8 had we played under potter.
I’ll be concerned extremely if under ciraldo we start the season with more hit ups as we did under Baz.
Anyway let’s see …….

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well done to potter for taking the risk of throwing him at the fullback position.

We have had plenty of development opportunity over the years to try players in new positions or develop a pup. But the respective coaches have persisted with mediocre first graders instead.

Kid was given a chance and grabbed it with 2 hands. Imagine if barrett had thrown him in the 1 jersey end of last year. Or even given Meaney a shot at the 1 and given them a 5-6 weeks run instead of 1 game centre the next wing the next bench etc.

Potter may not be the best coach in the nrl. Heck he might not even be the best coach at the club but good on him for identifying talent have trying things outside of the box. And to think barrett had averillo training all offseason as a halfback.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just shows Barrett was a below average coach I truly say this that the last 1.5 years under him was the worst I have ever seen in bulldogs jumpers . Even 2008 and the dean pay days were better. He will struggle big time I doubt he will ever coach again in the nrl

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo should’ve been given 2021 to develop as a fullback. He would’ve progressed way further if he was. Half of us called for this in 2021

Barrett and his idiotic moves hampering our young players with potential god

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sensational form is an exaggeration imo but looks his spot to lose and fullback seems to suit, should only get better in the position going forward.
Was only thinking yesterday he should be watching Teddy's tapes e.g the last 2 origins our highest level of footy would be well worth watching over and over.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well done to potter for taking the risk of throwing him at the fullback position.

We have had plenty of development opportunity over the years to try players in new positions or develop a pup. But the respective coaches have persisted with mediocre first graders instead.

Kid was given a chance and grabbed it with 2 hands. Imagine if barrett had thrown him in the 1 jersey end of last year. Or even given Meaney a shot at the 1 and given them a 5-6 weeks run instead of 1 game centre the next wing the next bench etc.

Potter may not be the best coach in the nrl. Heck he might not even be the best coach at the club but good on him for identifying talent have trying things outside of the box. And to think barrett had averillo training all offseason as a halfback.
Meaney had 11 games in a row in 2019, 5 in 2020, 5 in 2 stints in 2021 at FB. At Melbourne, he has played wing, FB & 5/8. Best is 4 at FB

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just shows Barrett was a below average coach I truly say this that the last 1.5 years under him was the worst I have ever seen in bulldogs jumpers . Even 2008 and the dean pay days were better. He will struggle big time I doubt he will ever coach again in the nrl
That's why he should never have taken the Dogs job on. If he failed he would never get a head job again. It was a high risk appointment.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This kid is more skillful than Tedesco in my opinion... Though not as strong. When he fills in he could be anything, even as good as Turbo so he shouldn't just limit himself to Teddy videos... Should be watching all the best including FB's like Bowen and Slater.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This kid is more skillful than Tedesco in my opinion... Though not as strong. When he fills in he could be anything, even as good as Turbo so he shouldn't just limit himself to Teddy videos... Should be watching all the best including FB's like Bowen and Slater.
You know sometimes its good to keep opinions to yourself…