WWOS MOLE EXCLUSIVE: Struggling Bulldogs consider move for England rugby coach Eddie Jones

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The struggling Canterbury Bulldogs are considering making a move for renowned rugby union coach Eddie Jones for next season.

Current England coach Jones has reportedly expressed interest in a code switch and has already attracted the eye of the Cronulla Sharks.

But Wide World of Sports has learned that the Bulldogs, having almost certainly missed out on super coaches Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett, are now looking in Jones' direction.

Dean Pay is coming off contract at the end of this year and is one of a host of NRL coaches under pressure to keep their jobs for 2021.

Pay inherited a poor roster at the start of last season and has struggled to get the best out of the Bulldogs.

They missed the finals last season and look likely to do so again this year, sitting at the bottom of the ladder with just one win to date.

Jones, who turned 60 this year, has a glittering coaching resume with both Australia and England and is regarded as one of the great thinkers in world rugby.

Former Wallabies coach Alan Jones made the switch to league with both Balmain and Souths in the 1990s but enjoyed little success.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surely not. Most likely another manager paying a "journo" to write an article about their client linking him to any team that is considering changing coaches.

I'm all for thinking outside of the box but a Rugby coach?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely not. Most likely another manager paying a "journo" to write an article about their client linking him to any team that is considering changing coaches.

I bet he coaches the basics. That a huge improvement over what we have now

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I bet he coaches the basics. That a huge improvement over what we have now
Anything would be to be honest. But Jones?? Rugby and League are two very different games. Has Jones been anything more than a consultant in League?

To be honest, I'd take a fucking Netball coach instead of Pay but I'd rather someone who has coached League before.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are truly a basket case of a club. Nothing against Eddie Jones but years ago we would never consider getting someone who has never coached a rugby league team in his life to take on our head coaching role. Yes, the media say he's a big fan of league but should we just appoint a coach because he's a fan of the game?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anything would be to be honest. But Jones?? Rugby and League are two very different games. Has Jones been anything more than a consultant in League?

To be honest, I'd take a fucking Netball coach instead of Pay but I'd rather someone who has coached League before.
Anybody from @AlzzBulldog to Jones can get us 16th position with this squad. I’d take a pig stuck in mud then Pay as head coach of the Bulldogs. His time is done as a head coach anywhere in professional sports

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are truly a basket case of a club. Nothing against Eddie Jones but years ago we would never consider getting someone who has never coached a rugby league team in his life to take on our head coaching role. Yes, the media say he's a big fan of league but should we just appoint a coach because he's a fan of the game?
The problem is the Bulldogs position isn’t attractive at all in league circles despite the warchest. We are going to have to look at a another rookie coach or England for a coach. We are not getting an established NRL coach. So it’s going to be a risk who ever we appoint but it won’t be worse then Pay.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Makes no sense. We need someone that can attract players and build a roster (Bennett and Bellamy the best at this).

What will ed do? Bring rona, korebeiti, radradra back? Or maybe being George gregan (as you can tell I don’t know many Union players) :p

oh actually I came up with a few.

who else will he bring? Beale and Quade?

I see the value in Bennett. And we have cap space and roster spots. I don’t like his game play entirely, I think he is a bit too conservative for the new game. But if he can attract players like gayguy, Roberts, arrows, Mitchell (fair enough none have fired, but his active recruitment can’t be underestimated).

Bennett would not give us a premiership. But if he gets us relevant, he will assist in securing our financial future, brining in corporate dollars and exposure and strengthen a team that honestly lacks even role players, let alone first graders.

Put it this way. He won’t put up with Lewis playing 30+ games in the halves and persisting with in the hope he will come good.

Pay unfortunately seems like a great bloke, a good people person, and does protect his favourites. But maybe instead of bringing the “madness“ in the offseason he should have been bringing in some attacking flair, So we aren’t scoring 10ppm again. Like we have for the last 3 season.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hot air... doubt it’s true... Eddie’s one of the best rugby coaches in the world but would be a rookie NRL coach and we already have a rookie NRL coach. It would be the ultimate sign of desperation if true. Once again a sponsor or somebody close to the club would have floated this idea.

Malla

Reaction score
I think Eddie Jones would be a great signing, but he needs to have a great team of assistant coaches with him.

Eddie is the type of big name coach this club desperately needs.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Keep writing this shit up to stir up the coach and kick us while we are down. Fucking parasite journos.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mole admitted on Twitter he doesn’t even know who Jones’s manager is, so he hasn’t even tried to confirm this bullshit rumour.

It’s a space filler, nothing more

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You through enough mud something will stick eventually

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really?? A Union coach can be the answer.?

Different game and structures although Les Kiss who used to play NRL made the transition to union as a defensive coach....

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I still feel like we’re going to end up with Griffin...
I have an 2 uneasy feelings:

1. no one will want to touch us and we’ll be stuck with Pay.
2. The club will not even consider anyone else and extend Pay for another year

Feeling 1 is horrible, but feeling 2 is cataclysmic

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We missed the boat in Holbrook and o,brien