Fox Sports Exclusive: Storm to ‘lease’ best young star to Tigers in radical NRL swap deal

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good deal for the tigs until grant leaves..
But doesnt this mean the best teams are beginning to stack talent?

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is if you can get the bloke real comfortable at the club with some new besties he may turn his back on old club so both clubs will be attempting to do that as well. Interesting swap and interesting to watch what occurs in future

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
what i heard regarding this is harry grant wants to be playing nrl, storm couldn't give him a guarantee that he would be playing this year due to cameron smith still being there, and smith wanting another season after this one, harry wanted out of storm, storm came up with this idea on the basis he will return to storm next season as hooker if smith has retired

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't happened before but when I actually think about it and how top clubs can use this to their advantage (they already have a big enough advantage) I don't really like it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Storm are cheering, Wests also..well until 2021 when Momo stays at the Storm and Grant returns and Wests are left with nothing haha.
Agree, how stupid do you have to be to loan someone when he's off contract haha tigers are stupid for entertaining it

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, how stupid do you have to be to loan someone when he's off contract haha tigers are stupid for entertaining it
Yes and No.

1) They just signed Leilua
2) They have Tommy Talau, who they are thinking could be a better player.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Loaning players can work, especially if teams lose key players to injuries in pre season.

However, I think the NRL is better off with a draft and trade system than a loan system. I think junior leagues should be run completely independent to NRL clubs, right now you've got only a handful of clubs who prioritise youth development and I think it's shows with the lack of quality players around. It should be run similar to the NBA, each team is given draft picks and they can use them how they see best.

That way the junior players can be put through a better system to aid their development, they could be better educated with how to deal with social media and the pressures of the game as they would be the main priority of the clubs, instead of first grade.

That way you wont have teams like Melbourne ending up with 3 of the best hookers in the comp, or Panthers have 4 first grade quality halfs whilst we have none.

Financially it may be challenging at first but it would open up so many opportunities for the game, imagine the hype they could build for the Nrl Nines after a draft in the off season, they would market it as the first chance clubs get to see their new young stars in their colours. Imagine a team like ours, we wouldnt have to sit through a 4 year rebuild, we wouldn't have to lose the likes of Klemmer for nothing, we could trade him away for a draft pick etc.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Loaning players can work, especially if teams lose key players to injuries in pre season.

However, I think the NRL is better off with a draft and trade system than a loan system. I think junior leagues should be run completely independent to NRL clubs, right now you've got only a handful of clubs who prioritise youth development and I think it's shows with the lack of quality players around. It should be run similar to the NBA, each team is given draft picks and they can use them how they see best.

That way the junior players can be put through a better system to aid their development, they could be better educated with how to deal with social media and the pressures of the game as they would be the main priority of the clubs, instead of first grade.

That way you wont have teams like Melbourne ending up with 3 of the best hookers in the comp, or Panthers have 4 first grade quality halfs whilst we have none.

Financially it may be challenging at first but it would open up so many opportunities for the game, imagine the hype they could build for the Nrl Nines after a draft in the off season, they would market it as the first chance clubs get to see their new young stars in their colours. Imagine a team like ours, we wouldnt have to sit through a 4 year rebuild, we wouldn't have to lose the likes of Klemmer for nothing, we could trade him away for a draft pick etc.
As Paul Kent pointed out, the salary cap is not working, as evidenced by both the Roosters and the Storm appearances in 16 of the last 20 Grand Finals and it never will until a draft is introduced. A draft will allow a fairer distribution of talent and stock sides stockpiling in specific positions but will be a tough ask to get it introduced as it is seen as a restraint of trade.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah.... not so much
They are still 9th may make the 8 if other sides like Newcastle choke. Then Grant leaves and they arent a top 8 side anymore.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still don't see how this benefits the Tigers beyond a few more meaningless wins... Sure he's made a huge impact this season but they'll still be irrelevant past the first week of the finals if they make it that far and next season they'll still need to find another hooker.

These loan deals just make the elite clubs stronger and allows them to stockpile talent in a farm system while letting them get experience at other clubs.

If the Tigers didn't do the loan deal, Grant would be ball boy right now and probably ask for an immediate release to sign outright with another club. So if you ask me, the Tigers did Melbourne a favour.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't see how this benefits the Tigers beyond a few more meaningless wins... Sure he's made a huge impact this season but they'll still be irrelevant past the first week of the finals if they make it that far and next season they'll still need to find another hooker.

These loan deals just make the elite clubs stronger and allows them to stockpile talent in a farm system while letting them get experience at other clubs.

If the Tigers didn't do the loan deal, Grant would be ball boy right now and probably ask for an immediate release to sign outright with another club. So if you ask me, the Tigers did Melbourne a favour.
If Grant had decided to stay past this season and not bide his time behind Smith it would have been all worth it.
I don’t think loan deals will be the norm once lower grades resume, they are only useful because there’s no other games going on.
I agree that this could help teams stockpile talent if it goes unchecked, although the cap is ‘supposed’ to stop that from happening.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Perfectly stated..!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I guess they thought if he performs then they can try and lure him away from the Storm if he enjoys his time there. That or they were just desperate to get into the finals.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As Paul Kent pointed out, the salary cap is not working, as evidenced by both the Roosters and the Storm appearances in 16 of the last 20 Grand Finals and it never will until a draft is introduced. A draft will allow a fairer distribution of talent and stock sides stockpiling in specific positions but will be a tough ask to get it introduced as it is seen as a restraint of trade.
I think the NRL could right that up in player contracts that they can be traded, if the refuse to move then they sit out without pay. Imagine us in this position but having the prospect of drafting the best young player at the end of the season. The hype alone would bring more fans to the game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big thing stopping a draft as I see it is that currently we bid on players to establish their value. A draft would remove that aspect of things.

But realistically the NRL has already made provisions for clubs to pick up a player at the highest value offered. They're just not applying the system as seen by the fact that SBW is allowed to walk back into a dual premiership side without having been really placed on the open market. Further to that is the fact that Keary is apparently allowed to be extended for about 30% less than his market value on the proviso that it's his best chance of getting more premierships. This is on top of the fact that Tedesco has apparently accepted less for the same reason. If we make an estimate that it saves the Roosters 500k under the cap that can be a pretty good player they add. So clearly the NRL isn't applying the system they set up.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The draft was ruled illegal when Terry Hill took it to court in early 90s. The players have to sign off on it. It they do then it won't be a true draft as the player will only get moved to where he want to go. So basically its a trade no draft. Nrl players are so selt centred it will never happen.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I guess they thought if he performs then they can try and lure him away from the Storm if he enjoys his time there. That or they were just desperate to get into the finals.
Be great if the tigers pulled 9th spot again