EXCLUSIVE: Kyle Flanagan's bold claim ahead of 2023 season

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By Emily Patterson -
Wide World of Sports..

[URLunfurl="true"]https://amp.nine.com.au/article/4f461c74-cbee-4139-b29e-831b4a98c9d6[/URL]

Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has vowed he will finally realise his full potential this NRLseason.

After being axed from the Roosters at the end of the 2020 season, Flanagan has faced two tough years at Belmore.

But Flanagan says incoming senior coach Cameron Ciraldo has instilled in him the confidence to be himself and take the reins of the new-look Canterbury team.

Speaking to 9News Sydney's Luke Dufficy, Flanagan admitted he has previously struggled to make an impact in the Bulldogs' attack.

"I feel like in my NRL career so far, I haven't shown a fair representation of myself on the big stage," he said.

"[But] I've always had the mentality to back myself and put in the hard work and I'll see the results."

Last year, Flanagan rejected a huge offer to move to the English Super League after struggling to find consistency in the Bulldogs' lineup.

The 24-year-old is now entering the final year of his three-season deal with Canterbury.

With an injection of star power and new leadership with Ciraldo this season, the pressure on Flanagan to fire with his playmaking has never been greater.

While playing an integral role in developing Nathan Cleary's craft while assisting at the Panthers, Flanagan says Ciraldo does not want him to be a carbon copy of the two-time premiership halfback.

"He wants me to go out there and be Kyle Flanagan," he said.

"The biggest focus for me this off-season and pre-season [has been discovering] what suits me, what's my personality and what are the strengths of my game."
Never say never !

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Little doubt that Flanagan has been a slow developer. However, he is now at an age where he should be able to learn from his past errors, and having guidance from the new coaching staff, he should be able to deliver. Besides, he is the only real option we have. Bailey Haywood has shown promise and will probably be next in line if he doesnt deliver.
Yes and become a star 7 or 6 lol, but that’s in a perfect world. Think he’s done about all he can TBH, but hey I guess I can always be proven wrong which would be. Good thing when it comes to the gun lol !!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It annoys the crap out of me when these stories come out about what a player is "gonna" do, or how this year will be different. TPJ is in the same boat.

From what we have seen from him so far Flanno just doesn't have it in him to be the player we need at number 7 and no amount of talk will change that

At this stage we are stuck with him for this year and I guess we can hope for a miracle that he can miraculously turn into the player we want...but then again pigs might fly

I wish he took a page out of Nico Hynes book last year. He didn't come out and predict it was gonna be his year , he was gonna do this and that. He just took the bull by the horns, had an outstanding year and ultimately was Dally M player of the year....one difference is that Nico Hynes is highly skilled and talented and killed it in his first year of playing at 7

Flanno has played 7 his whole career and is still nowhere near the mark
There is a lot who say there "gonna do" unfortunately very few do anything.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pass me a bucket, my lunch is suddenly not confortable sitting in my stomach anymore!
Not sure whether I am allowed to say this, but is it just me or does he have a very punchable face?
Guy needs a career change, NSW Govt are offering lots of free TAFE courses at the moment, can someone send him an enrolment form?
Seriously, he adds nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, in attack, why is he still wearing the 7 jumper, he is just making up the numbers. Pick some other random to wear the number 7, anyone in the top 30 except Corey Waddell or Ocky.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you have something to prove just do it, hes setting expectations high and if he fail's he will look much worse.

No club in the NRL will give him a contract and he has a year to prove his supposed ability, as of now I doubt SL will want him.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've seen the last thing I want Kyle Flanagan to try and be is Kyle Flanagan
Perhaps that’s been his mistake? All this time he should have been trying to be Thurston or Johns!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By Emily Patterson -
Wide World of Sports..

[URLunfurl="true"]https://amp.nine.com.au/article/4f461c74-cbee-4139-b29e-831b4a98c9d6[/URL]

Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has vowed he will finally realise his full potential this NRLseason.

After being axed from the Roosters at the end of the 2020 season, Flanagan has faced two tough years at Belmore.

But Flanagan says incoming senior coach Cameron Ciraldo has instilled in him the confidence to be himself and take the reins of the new-look Canterbury team.

Speaking to 9News Sydney's Luke Dufficy, Flanagan admitted he has previously struggled to make an impact in the Bulldogs' attack.

"I feel like in my NRL career so far, I haven't shown a fair representation of myself on the big stage," he said.

"[But] I've always had the mentality to back myself and put in the hard work and I'll see the results."

Last year, Flanagan rejected a huge offer to move to the English Super League after struggling to find consistency in the Bulldogs' lineup.

The 24-year-old is now entering the final year of his three-season deal with Canterbury.

With an injection of star power and new leadership with Ciraldo this season, the pressure on Flanagan to fire with his playmaking has never been greater.

While playing an integral role in developing Nathan Cleary's craft while assisting at the Panthers, Flanagan says Ciraldo does not want him to be a carbon copy of the two-time premiership halfback.

"He wants me to go out there and be Kyle Flanagan," he said.

"The biggest focus for me this off-season and pre-season [has been discovering] what suits me, what's my personality and what are the strengths of my game."
For his sake and ours, hope he has a cracker of a year - not only does he need a strong year, he would need to be near perfect to keep Oluapo out or the club from signing a reputable 7

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Rajab or olaupu in asap
That is what is buying Flanno so much time. Oloapu hasn’t played yet and Rajab isn’t even close to first grade as ballsy as he is. Flanno will be there at least until mid season unless Ciro wants to do something out of the box and go left field which I doubt.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I weirdly want him to do well.. hopefully he has a good year and keeps developing. You may right, he is a slow developer.
We should extend him on the cheap before his value rises.

We don't want to get into a bidding war.
Make it happen Gus.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have something to prove just do it, hes setting expectations high and if he fail's he will look much worse.

No club in the NRL will give him a contract and he has a year to prove his supposed ability, as of now I doubt SL will want him.
You are absolutely right.

He is better off saying, "last year was my best season in NRL and I reckon this year, with new recruits and coach, I can take my footy to another level".

He's doing himself no favours admitting he had been poor and setting unreasonably high expectations.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading he knocked back an ESL deal last year hurts
So he knocked back a luctrative offer to go to the ESL, just talking himserlf up IMO.
The only people who would know that is his manager, himself, his dad, and the ESL club that made the offer
We should extend him on the cheap before his value rises.

We don't want to get into a bidding war.
Make it happen Gus.
I'd bet that if he has any value at preaent, it will be even less at the end of the 2023 season.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
It’s Oloapu guys….!

There is 3 posts in a row butchering Karl’s surname, all in different ways

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s Oloapu guys….!

There is 3 posts in a row butchering Karl’s surname, all in different ways
I have edited my post and regret this error. My humble apologies to the Oloapu Aiga. Looking forward to seeing your son excel in the blue and white very soon.

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think back it’s basically a copy paste of what he said when we bought him from the Roosters and Barrett was going to release his best potential .