Rumour Ex St Helens forward Luke Thompson sets the ball rolling for huge Super League move

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former St Helens prop Luke Thompson is one of the most talked about forwards in the game.

The Englishman is on big bucks at the Canterbury Bulldogs and there has been talk over the past year that the club would be open to letting the 26-year-old go in a bid to ease salary cap pressure, with Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney on their way to Canterbury next season.

And, according to the Sydney Morning Herald, that deal is worth $800,000 – a contract worth a staggering £455,000.

That means that Thompson’s wage in Super League would take up almost a quarter of a salary cap if he ever did return!

Despite that potentially ruling out a number of clubs from signing the England international, there is speculation Down Under that Thompson is heading for the UK.
https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/st-h...e-alongside-sam-burgess-for-shock-club-54574/
The Daily Telegraph had previously reported that speculation on Luke Thompson’s future continued to rage with Fox Sports previously adding fuel to the fire as Canterbury attempt to cut a number of their stars in a bid to refresh the club with Melbourne Storm one of those who are sniffing round the Super League Grand Final winner.

Storm will be losing veteran prop Jesse Bromwich to new franchise the Dolphins as they begin their NRL story in 2023.

Thompson was reportedly offered to the Wests Tigers before the season started and now, according to Fox Sports, the Tigers are still in the hunt.

The former St Helens man had talked about the rumours previously, stating his intention to stay at Belmore for the whole of his contract. However, the speculation continues to mount – and he has now talked about ‘going back home’ being an option.

“I signed a three-year contract at the Bulldogs and I have every intention of fulfilling my contract.” Thompson told the Daily Telegraph.

“I am really looking forward to the season ahead and the year after.

“Going back home is always going to be an option but I think I will decide when it comes around to it.

“I’m enjoying my time over here [Australia] at the minute.”

Thompson has been one of the bright sparks for Canterbury since joining and has earned himself a reputation Down Under for bulldozing runs and big hits in defence.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldozing runs and big hits in defence. Lol he’s been good for us I’ll admit. But not worth the 800K pay packet. It’s just odd that he’s always rumoured to be on his way out, and it’s been like that since he got here. But got handed the captaincy earlier this year. Clearly held in high regard. It’s a weird one.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Don’t think his mate Alctros replied? Probably more a sign something else happening

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No new news or quotes, but something has to be going on behind the scenes.
Gus is planning a big play. I reckon it’ll be similar to a surprise signing no one sees coming. Everyone bags him but you know what? For years in commentary he always praised us, his ego on the line and I think he’s gonna driver. ( i hope)

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Fox Sports previously adding fuel to the fire"

-Tell us something we don't know.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He did. He posted yesterday that thommo isn’t going to the tigers, ship has sailed. And he will be at the dogs this year and next year
Ah thanks mate missed that.

Hopefully he pulls his socks up and dramatically improves. Massive bust so far.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think initially he was meant to be back for this game, things must be worse than expected over there unfortunately

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's back in Australia now, but probably with jetlag is being given a week off to get himself back in the throw of things.
Well that's good.We will never get the best out of him while he has issues other than footy on his mind