Euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Although I will say, heaven forbid someone I knew was terminally ill and in pain. My thoughts and prayers at the time might contradict what Im saying now.

But in terms of what right IMO, the judgment of death by anyone but God is not IMO

Then again we are always breaking commandments and all the rest of it, daily !!!

Its a tough topic :o

G

Gladiator.

**** its illegal, end of story, you can debate till the cows come home, its not going to change the law in aus.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[video=youtube;qRDZFwlWU1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDZFwlWU1s[/video]

Pro-euthanasia ads pulled from TV
Danny Rose, Medical Writer
September 10, 2010

An advertisement which calls for a government re-think on euthanasia cannot be shown on Australian television following a "last minute" backflip by a classification body.

Pro-euthanasia advocate Dr Philip Nitschke was informed of the revised position of CAD (Commercials Advice) on Friday afternoon.

Filming for the ad was completed earlier this week.

The ad, which was to be shown as part of a $60,000 advertising spend, was scheduled to air across several Australian cities in late-night TV slots from Sunday.

"This has really gutted our program and we're pretty annoyed," Dr Nitschke told AAP late on Friday.

"It has happened at the last minute ... We only went ahead with the project after we received CAD approval.

"The ad agency wouldn't have even embarked on this without that approval."

Dr Nitschke said he was in talks with the Council of Civil Liberties in a bid to have the decision overturned.

"This is an attempt to stifle the debate about this vexed issue," he said.

The ad was inspired by the ABC Television's spoof marketing program, The Gruen Transfer, which recently aired two fake advertisements making a fictional call for mandatory euthanasia.

Dr Nitschke employed one of the ad agencies that had contributed to the ABC program.

He said the resulting serious ad was "urging political change" and was not "convincing people to commit suicide".

"It shows a person saying I didn't choose to be terminally ill, all I want is choice," Dr Nitschke said.

"It says 85 per cent of Australians want this choice, why isn't the government listening?"

In an email to Dr Nitschke, CAD said it had withdrawn its earlier approval on the grounds the advertisement did not comply with the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice relating to the "promotion or encouragement of suicide".

"CAD has discussed the advertisement with the television networks and they are of the same view as CAD," the email stated.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/proeuthanasia-ads-pulled-from-tv-20100910-154x9.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the ad is fine. The reasons for it being banned are ridiculous saying it promotes suicide. I think people should have a choice when they are terminally ill and are in pain.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was listening to Dr Nitschke on the radio last night and he was saying to be euthanised you have to establish that the illness is terminal from four different Doctors, you have to see a psychiatrist to make sure you are mentally stable, you have to be a certain age (possibly 50) and there were a few other things as well. Its not like 'I cbf living anymore, I want to die' so you get euthanised. There will be very strict laws regarding it. The alternative if I was in that situation would be to scrape my blood and guts out from underneath a train, instead of saying goodbye to all my friends and family in a controlled environment before taking a dose of Nambutel and peacefully dying.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what do you think we do in palliative care?

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont you let them die on there own, but just give them a little push?
9/10 of all the ones i have worked with die from respiratory distress from too much morphine. just remember, we ask the family if they're happy for us to give the final dose of morphine. once they're morphed they just go to sleep and never wake up. we don't ask families if they're ready for us to put nanna out of her misery, but we certainly make sure the doctors have explained what the effects of the final dose of morphine will do. there's a loophole in the legalities behind it, but if someone really wanted to push the point then yeah you can say we do euthanase. from memory the ruling is that the pain relief is necessary, and respiratory distress is a well known complication of narcotic use. due to the quality of life issues, it's legal to keep them maxed out on pain relief, and if the morphine does kill a palliative patient it's not a big deal. grey area i know.

ps - i'm getting an advanced health directive that is to ensure no cpr, mechanical ventilation, enteral feeding, IV hydration, absolutely nothing. i don't want someone to keep me ventilated at home as a vegetable.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bump.

With NSW having decided against it, and Victorian parliament in the middle of a marathon (been going more than 24 hours now) session debating assisted dying / euthanasia laws.

What are people's thoughts on the topic? Does it need to be legislated at all (and we just turna blind eye to be helping others to end their life), or does legislation give comfort and legitimacy t those who are seeking it? etc.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It is never ok to prematurely end ones life.

I'm against it.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course it should be allowed.
Anyone against it should be forced to sit and watch a loved one, die a slow, painful, death.
My dad would’ve ended it 2 years earlier if it was up to him. Instead he had to slowly choke to death and suffer a massive stroke.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone against it should be forced to sit and watch a loved one, die a slow, painful, death.
My dad would’ve ended it 2 years earlier if it was up to him. Instead he had to slowly choke to death and suffer a massive stroke.
Sorry about your Dad.

Death is never easy to talk about, whether religious or not.

My view is that, whilst, i'm not particularly comfortable about it, and of course consider that proper safeguards should be in place (and its not a bad thing that the debates like the one in Victorian Parliament are so detailed), overall I absolutely don't have a right to infringe on others who are in so much pain. Their body, their life, their decision (even if its something so sad and serious). If there was a poll similar to the one we just had on SSM, i would absolutely vote in favour.

Ironically, we put our family pets down without a second thought and call it being "humane".

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about ya dad, totally agree with everything you said here.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It is a very tricky one. My grandfather is suffering from terminal cancer (mutiple myeloma), and there was a time 8-12 months ago I'm sure he may have considered it had it been an option as he was incredibly crook from chemo sessions.

Since then it went into a holding pattern, but has recently started on the move again.

Had he decided to end his life, he would have missed out on quite a few great memories, and he is still with us.

It's a real tough one, but I believe it should be allowed in circumstances where Quality of Life will be impacted.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is a very tricky one. My grandfather is suffering from terminal cancer (mutiple myeloma), and there was a time 8-12 months ago I'm sure he may have considered it had it been an option as he was incredibly crook from chemo sessions.

Since then it went into a holding pattern, but has recently started on the move again.

Had he decided to end his life, he would have missed out on quite a few great memories, and he is still with us.

It's a real tough one, but I believe it should be allowed in circumstances where Quality of Life will be impacted.
Multiple myelnoma is very nasty. We thought my own father might have had it recently, but he was "lucky": in that it was a melanoma, and there were no secondaries. I'm glad to hear he is still going and you can have some more memories with him.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Firstly, sorry about your dad. I know it's tough - however most of us have been through this, and yes it is painful. I think though watching people fight with what they've got and not giving up is something to be admired.

On a personal note, within Catholicism, we believe that if someone has been suffering for a long time, years as was the case with your dad, that painful means they by-pass purgatory and go straight to heaven. You do need to have faith though.

So my reason for being against this is that God brought us into this world, God should also be the one to take us from it (to a much better place of course).

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Firstly, sorry about your dad. I know it's tough - however most of us have been through this, and yes it is painful. I think though watching people fight with what they've got and not giving up is something to be admired.

On a personal note, within Catholicism, we believe that if someone has been suffering for a long time, years as was the case with your dad, that painful means they by-pass purgatory and go straight to heaven. You do need to have faith though.

So my reason for being against this is that God brought us into this world, God should also be the one to take us from it (to a much better place of course).
Most of those people aren’t “fighting” they have no choice, they’re “enduring”.
My dad was catholic, and a fucken hard-ass, but if I gave him a gun in the last couple of months, he’d have shot himself.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is never ok to prematurely end ones life.

I'm against it.
My Dad had MND for 5 long years.

Nothing worse than watching a loved one fucking struggle every day.

I thought about taking my dad's life to ease his pain.

And yes I would gone to jail & no I wouldn't have regretted taking his life or going to prison for it.

I sometimes regret not doing it.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you've ever seen someone in end stage terminal lung cancer.. you'd be 100% okay with euthanasia.

I have ... it aint pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.