Ennis wants the dogs to sign Reynolds again. Shut yo mouth fool!!

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
why we even talking about the worst No6 to ever play for Canterbury?

best thing the club ever did was not renew his contract

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why we even talking about the worst No6 to ever play for Canterbury?

best thing the club ever did was not renew his contract
Cos some people are still mesmerised by the memory of his sideway running and decided its a good idea to go sideway with our recruitment too.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My view is that Wakeham will play as many NRL games as he deserves by his form and proving that his body (and brain) can handle. Although he has demonstrated the skill set he is unproven for the unrelenting week in week out physicality and pressure of NRL games. I don't know, genuinely don't know, if he can handle it, and I believe that he needs to prove himself. Obviously Foran also has risk associated with depending on him to be available every game. The step down from them is not exactly small, with Cogger who is a liability in defence and Lewis who has limitations in offence. I don't believe that Grub is the answer long term or even medium term, but he could fill the void between our first choices, neither of whom are not exactly risk free, and their backups for the next 20 games. Depending on how much the Tuggers contribute, a 1 + 1 (club option) contract may not be the worst thing ever.

As for Averillo, he's only 19, contracted to us for this year and next year and, although he has demonstrated potential, he has only played 3 x CC games. As a result I'm not in favour of throwing him in the very deep end of NRL this season.

Go Dogs

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Doesn't this all depend on the accountancy side of things? Do the dogs have money to spend in the cap this season? If they do and don't spend it, is that advantageous later? I don't know how the cap works but i think it's a factor in deciding the value of taking Reynolds.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Difference is Foran is elite and can carry a side to victory, the boys would actually learn something from him. But yes I'd rather have his million invested elsewhere lol.
Can you tell me what games he’s won for us by himself? I can only think of 1 or 2 where he was the difference for us. Money poorly spent

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cos some people are still mesmerised by the memory of his sideway running and decided its a good idea to go sideway with our recruitment too.
Don't forget his best attribute: the trip

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can you tell me what games he’s won for us by himself? I can only think of 1 or 2 where he was the difference for us. Money poorly spent
Of course it's money poorly spent but he's elite tier when he can play and actually get on the ball and as a result was averaging as many try contributions himself as the entire team.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course it's money poorly spent but he's elite tier when he can play and actually get on the ball and as a result was averaging as many try contributions himself as the entire team.
Whats the best site to view these stats?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Totally disagree with you.
He speaks the truth.
We need a shot in the arm, which parts of his commentary on us don't you disagree with??
All good Teddy, it's a democracy after all.
Truth is subjective.
What I don't agree with:

- Indecision - Mick knows nothing because nothing has been announced (and won't be until after 30 June).
- Grub 'took us to two grand finals' - single handedly? Hardly.
- Yes, featured in a winning Origin series: SIX YEARS AGO...
- 14 games average 36min - paints that as a good thing when it simply highlights Grub's injury and/or form woes.
- Short term: If only 2020 maybe slightly more appealing - but 2021 too - likely doesn’t fit the clubs plans for next year.

The Tigers made plenty of questionable decisions themselves, but they're not stupid. What club would pay Grub more than minimum wage ($110k this year) - or if they're feeling generous a bit more.
Do you honestly think the Tigers would pay $500k+ for him to play elsewhere?

Things I agree with:

- We are short on playmakers - but I'm confident that's coming.
- We do need a shot in the arm (not Grub).

As a commentator alone, Mick‘s comments don't add up for me.
He was 'frustrated with the decisions the Bulldogs made' - including not renewing him for 2 years post 2014 which is what he wanted.
He can't help but have a dig. He went on to win a comp - why would he care except that he still has a sore spot or he wants his mate to get a gig?

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My view is that Wakeham will play as many NRL games as he deserves by his form and proving that his body (and brain) can handle. Although he has demonstrated the skill set he is unproven for the unrelenting week in week out physicality and pressure of NRL games. I don't know, genuinely don't know, if he can handle it, and I believe that he needs to prove himself. Obviously Foran also has risk associated with depending on him to be available every game. The step down from them is not exactly small, with Cogger who is a liability in defence and Lewis who has limitations in offence. I don't believe that Grub is the answer long term or even medium term, but he could fill the void between our first choices, neither of whom are not exactly risk free, and their backups for the next 20 games. Depending on how much the Tuggers contribute, a 1 + 1 (club option) contract may not be the worst thing ever.

As for Averillo, he's only 19, contracted to us for this year and next year and, although he has demonstrated potential, he has only played 3 x CC games. As a result I'm not in favour of throwing him in the very deep end of NRL this season.

Go Dogs
Cogger isn't the liability people make him out to be. As for Wakeham, if Soward can make a fist of NRL with his size I think Wakeham can handle it also.
He gets us playing over the advantage line that's the key attribute he brings imo. Not many halfs we have have shown they can do that. Cogger was doing it but got dropped for Lewis

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cogger isn't the liability people make him out to be. As for Wakeham, if Soward can make a fist of NRL with his size I think Wakeham can handle it also.
They both defend like typical halves and get their body in front you can't ask for much more then that.

People just compare them in defence to Lewis which is the only area he is superior to them and form the opinion that Cogger and Wakeham can't defend which isn't true.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They both defend like typical halves and get their body in front you can't ask for much more then that.

People just compare them in defence to Lewis which is the only area he is superior to them and form the opinion that Cogger and Wakeham can't defend which isn't true.
Yep that's exactly right, if they aren't arm grabbing then I can't fault them. Always putting his body Infront and chasing to cover centres errors aswell.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you honestly think the Tigers would pay $500k+ for him to play elsewhere? Can't see it happening.
I can't see it happening either, but it's not completely out of the question. It's simple maths, the Tuggers are reportedly contracted to pay Grub $850k a season for the next 2 seasons (ignoring any Cap reduction effects). If they can offload him and only pay $400k, to the team getting him, it frees up $450k in Cap space for them. If they have a bit left over already in their Cap it might be enough to get whoever it is that they want. Of course paying nothing to the team getting him is a better deal for them, but realistically who's going to pay $850k? So the answer as to how much they contribute lies somewhere between nothing and $850k, and the bargaining continues.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see it happening either, but it's not completely out of the question. It's simple maths, the Tuggers are reportedly contracted to pay Grub $850k a season for the next 2 seasons (ignoring any Cap reduction effects). If they can offload him and only pay $400k, to the team getting him, it frees up $450k in Cap space for them. If they have a bit left over already in their Cap it might be enough to get whoever it is that they want. Of course paying nothing to the team getting him is a better deal for them, but realistically who's going to pay $850k? So the answer as to how much they contribute lies somewhere between nothing and $850k, and the bargaining continues.

Go Dogs
So it may come down to who is the bigger fool...and fools and their money are soon parted... I know it was a previous administration at Concord, but they offered Grub the deal of a lifetime and the value was always questionable. In my view they can live with it, just as we’ve had to live with Foz and his bang for buck.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So it may come down to who is the bigger fool...and fools and their money are soon parted... I know it was a previous administration at Concord, but they offered Grub the deal of a lifetime and the value was always questionable. In my view they can live with it, just as we’ve had to live with Foz and his bang for buck.
If someone was willing to contribute enough for Foran I'd like to think we would of moved him on too (this was rumoured either last year or the year before). We just weren't going to find anyone willing to pay ~700k to get Foran (with us paying ~500k, what he's probably worth). Not really sure how much it would of helped us either tbh. It just looks like we're trying to get top players for value (good luck).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If someone was willing to contribute enough for Foran I'd like to think we would of moved him on too (this was rumoured either last year or the year before). We just weren't going to find anyone willing to pay ~700k to get Foran (with us paying ~500k, what he's probably worth). Not really sure how much it would of helped us either tbh. It just looks like we're trying to get top players for value (good luck).
Value in recent seasons, yes - we had no choice. Next year, no - but we won’t know the outcome of that until after 30 June. Grub and Foz are both examples of risks clubs take on long and expensive contracts. I’m more in favour of doing two years at a time and pay upgrades when they are earned. Too much can go wrong otherwise as we’ve seen. Of course you also risk losing players with a policy like that - what hurts more?

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Value in recent seasons, yes - we had no choice. Next year, no - but we won’t know the outcome of that until after 30 June. Grub and Foz are both examples of risks clubs take on long and expensive contracts. I’m more in favour of doing two years at at time and pay upgrades when they are earned. Too much can go wrong otherwise as we’ve seen. Of course you also risk losing players with a policy like that - what hurts more?
I agree, but offering someone three years instead of two can help with recruitment (someone like Cotric for e.g. I wouldn't have a problem doing it with). We definitely don't want to put injury prone players on big contracts for three years tho.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, but offering someone three years instead of two can help with recruitment (someone like Cotric for e.g. I wouldn't have a problem doing it with). We definitely don't want to put injury prone players on big contracts for three years tho.
Yep. The club is clearly OK with 3 years where they believe they’ll get value: reliability, character etc - DWZ, Thompson, Jackson, Stimson as recent examples.