Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ennis to meet Idris

02/03/2011 6:49 AM
Steve Orme - Sportal

He doesn't quite possess the bank account of mining magnate and would-be Knights owner Nathan Tinkler - but Canterbury-Bankstown hooker Michael Ennis has emerged as the strong favourite to win the race for Jamal Idris' signature.

Ennis, who re-signed with the Bulldogs until the end of the 2014 season on Tuesday, will sit down for a heart-to-heart chat with the boom centre in the coming days.

It is a conversation that will go a long way to deciding the immediate future of two clubs as well as the game's brightest young star.

Idris, who is off contract at the end of the season, is at the top of Tinkler's shopping list and is weighing up a reported $1 million three-year deal to link with the Knights.

"The conversations we've had he wanted to know what I was thinking and if I was going to stay," Ennis revealed on Tuesday.

"When I spoke to him earlier this week and told him I was going to stay, he said, 'can we have a chat when we get some time together on our own?'"

"As a mate I'll listen to him and try and give him the best advice I can in terms of taking off my club hat and giving him friend's advice."

"That's what he's looking at from me."

"It's certainly not about money. It's always nice to be paid what you're worth, and most players have an indication of what they are worth, but for the sake of $50,000 or $20,000 extra a year somewhere else, by the time you pack up and pay management fees, you don't see a lot of that money."

"I'd hate to see him go somewhere else and not be shown the care this club gives him."

"It's a decision he'll have to make in time ... my advice to him is it's not always greener."

Coach Kevin Moore is adamant the Bulldogs won't enter a bidding war with the Knights but remains confident the NSW centre will remain at the club.

"It's not always about money, obviously it's important, but if you create the right environment and make people happy, I suppose they're prepared to stay for less than what they can command on the open market,'' Moore said.

"That's what we're hoping will work in our favour with Jamal."

"If you splash too much money around on individuals, I don't think Newcastle will be too successful on the field, to be honest."

"Every club has a salary cap you have to abide by and if you spend too much in certain areas, you'll be weaker in other areas."

"The balance of the cap makes sure you should spread money right across the board and cover all bases. Going out and throwing silly money at individuals is a recipe for disaster and not something we're going to do.''

Ennis believes Idris will blossom as part of a Bulldogs roster boasting a potent mix of boom youngsters and experienced hard heads.

"I think with the current group we've got and a few blokes locked away long-term guys like (Trent) Hodkinson, (Frank) Pritchard, (Greg) Eastwood, (Steve) Turner, (Josh) Morris and now myself, we're building some stability among the group for a long time, and if you add Jamal to that I think you'll see him grow even more," Ennis said.

Photograph Copyright : Getty Images

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/ennis-to-meet-idris-113596

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Clearly Ennis will be Captain next year. Idris shouldn't be getting this much attention, what a head !

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good read. Plenty of quotes.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with Moe, one of the better articles about the Dogs in a very long time.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Jamal: "Hi Mick, can we just have a chat, you know just you and me. I value your opinion as a mate and a senior player at the club and wanted to get your ideas on what is best for my future."

Ennis: "Sure Jamal, right after I drop my pants to a journalist and let them know I will basically have to be the saviour if you are to stay with the Dogs"

Jamal: "No probs mate, I don't mind our private conversations played out in the media."

Is nothing sacred anymore? ffs

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
i can see this becoming another SBW or willie mason saga unfolding... Idris will pledge his support to our club, only to leave for the money. tbh idris is no greg inlis, hayne or slater, so i wouldnt be concerned if he left, we can replace him, it would free up some cap money and give one of our new signings or juniors a shot at his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.