News English stars Alex Walmsley and Oliver Gildart are on Canterbury Bulldogs radar

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury could be ready to make a play for the two latest British footballers ready to test themselves in the NRL, while they also closely monitor the contract situation around Brisbane powerhouse Tevita Pangai Jr.
St Helens and Great Britain prop Alex Walmsley and Wigan centre Oliver Gildart both want to play down under, despite the pair both remaining contracted to their current clubs.

Walmsley, who has a deal with Saints until the end of 2022, and Bulldogs enforcer Luke Thompson were the front-rowers which helped St Helens claim last year’s Super League grand final.

Canterbury spoke with 115kg, 196cm Walmsley last year but a deal couldn’t be reached, instead the club returned home with Thompson’s signature.

The Bulldogs would have money to spend should they elect against re-signing off-contract warhorse Aiden Tolman, while backrower Adam Elliott is also yet to re-signed.

Gildart, 23, is rated among the finest centres in Super League.

He has won two Super League grand finals and a World Club Challenge while also representing England and Great Britain.

Gildart, who has signed with leading Australian agent, Sam Ayoub, is under contract at Wigan until the end of next year but sources claim he has a get-out clause should he secure the NRL deal sources say he craves.

There is mutual respect between Gildart and Canterbury, who have a long and rich history when it comes to English players.

Some of the finest Poms to play at Belmore include Jonathan Davies, Brian Lockwood, Doug Laughton, Mick Adams, James Graham and Thompson.

There is no suggestion Walmsley and Gildart will definitely sign with Canterbury but there is interest from both parties.

Walmsley said recently: “The NRL is certainly something I’ve thought about and it’s something I’m open to but what I can say is, if I don’t do it now, I won’t ever do it.”

It is unknown whether the Bulldogs may enlist Thompson to help lure some further English players to Belmore.

Pangai Jr is under contract at Brisbane until the end of 2022 but close friends claim he is restless.

The Bulldogs have a private interest in Pangai Jr although no formal offer has been lodged. Certainly Canterbury would have the cash to make Pangai an extremely attractive offer.

Reports out of Sydney this week suggest Pangai Jr wants to leave Brisbane and contacted the Sydney Roosters in July asking whether there was interest in him.

Losing Pangai Jr after David Fifita quit for the Gold Coast would be a crippling blow to Brisbane and coach Anthony Seibold.

The Roosters weren’t overly keen although the Bulldogs would thrive on signing a strike forward like Pangai Jr. Souths have also looked at Pangai Jr but the club has already signed Gold Cast’s Jai Arrow.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys, been hell for me the last few days. And obviously haven’t been around a lot and probably won’t be much longer...

this new look site is utter trash and I will never get used to it, it’s garbage and a very depressing place to visit these days. So my time on TK has almost come to and end. A pitty really, love the people love the chat. Can’t stand the set up, used to spend all of my spare time here. Now can’t even be stuffed logging on.

might see ya on our game days if that, bye for now my peeps.!!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as i would love all these players i still think a 6 and 9 is way more important! Our forwards are doing okay at the moment, we just lack the class in spine positions to transfer the hard work into points

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Gildart will adapt well to the NRL. TPJ would be a huge signing. Walmsley would make an impact but he's getting on a bit. It's great that we're looking at more Super League players.

While I'd be happy with Gildart and/or TPJ, hooker and halves are still the main priority and I hope they have money put aside and players lined up for those positions also.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Roosters weren’t overly keen although the Bulldogs would thrive on signing a strike forward like Pangai Jr. Souths have also looked at Pangai Jr but the club has already signed Gold Cast’s Jai Arrow.
Roosters not overly keen......lol....... and the Bulldogs would thrive....sarcasm to the nth degree by the media.....

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys, been hell for me the last few days. And obviously haven’t been around a lot and probably won’t be much longer...

this new look site is utter trash and I will never get used to it, it’s garbage and a very depressing place to visit these days. So my time on TK has almost come to and end. A pitty really, love the people love the chat. Can’t stand the set up, used to spend all of my spare time here. Now can’t even be stuffed logging on.

Hang in there Scoob, the look might have changed but same people so worth the pain.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Daily Smellagraph... meh... will believe it when I see any of these guys wearing the blue and white.

In the meantime, hopefully the club is busy signing a decent #9

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

What the?? Is it really that bad mate??? Don't leave yet.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as i would love all these players i still think a 6 and 9 is way more important! Our forwards are doing okay at the moment, we just lack the class in spine positions to transfer the hard work into points
Agreed.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Scooobs?? I know you have kidney stones and they are a real bitch mate my brother in law has suffered with them but hang in there bud. The new site is different and I am with you that I preferred the old one but dont talk silly about not being around the kennel, you are part of the furniture for fucks sake.8-)

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Same here Scoobs!! I just can't get used to it too.... The new site is a real turn off. I only log on every now and then.... mostly for the game day thread to rant. Bring back the old ratings like best post and agree. Plus I hate how it doesn't tally the amount of likes but lists the people who liked it instead..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury could be ready to make a play for the two latest British footballers ready to test themselves in the NRL, while they also closely monitor the contract situation around Brisbane powerhouse Tevita Pangai Jr.
St Helens and Great Britain prop Alex Walmsley and Wigan centre Oliver Gildart both want to play down under, despite the pair both remaining contracted to their current clubs.

Walmsley, who has a deal with Saints until the end of 2022, and Bulldogs enforcer Luke Thompson were the front-rowers which helped St Helens claim last year’s Super League grand final.

Canterbury spoke with 115kg, 196cm Walmsley last year but a deal couldn’t be reached, instead the club returned home with Thompson’s signature.

The Bulldogs would have money to spend should they elect against re-signing off-contract warhorse Aiden Tolman, while backrower Adam Elliott is also yet to re-signed.

Gildart, 23, is rated among the finest centres in Super League.

He has won two Super League grand finals and a World Club Challenge while also representing England and Great Britain.

Gildart, who has signed with leading Australian agent, Sam Ayoub, is under contract at Wigan until the end of next year but sources claim he has a get-out clause should he secure the NRL deal sources say he craves.

There is mutual respect between Gildart and Canterbury, who have a long and rich history when it comes to English players.

Some of the finest Poms to play at Belmore include Jonathan Davies, Brian Lockwood, Doug Laughton, Mick Adams, James Graham and Thompson.

There is no suggestion Walmsley and Gildart will definitely sign with Canterbury but there is interest from both parties.

Walmsley said recently: “The NRL is certainly something I’ve thought about and it’s something I’m open to but what I can say is, if I don’t do it now, I won’t ever do it.”

It is unknown whether the Bulldogs may enlist Thompson to help lure some further English players to Belmore.

Pangai Jr is under contract at Brisbane until the end of 2022 but close friends claim he is restless.

The Bulldogs have a private interest in Pangai Jr although no formal offer has been lodged. Certainly Canterbury would have the cash to make Pangai an extremely attractive offer.

Reports out of Sydney this week suggest Pangai Jr wants to leave Brisbane and contacted the Sydney Roosters in July asking whether there was interest in him.

Losing Pangai Jr after David Fifita quit for the Gold Coast would be a crippling blow to Brisbane and coach Anthony Seibold.

I would have a chub a Bulldog couldn't chew thru..I am a big fan of both Walmsley and Gildart and with Thommo they would be awesome.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Same here Scoobs!! I just can't get used to it too.... The new site is a real turn off. I only log on every now and then.... mostly for the game day thread to rant. Bring back the old ratings like best post and agree. Plus I hate how it doesn't tally the amount of likes but lists the people who liked it instead..

Try using the mobile app. It hasnt changed and is user friendly