England boss backs Graham to star for Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
October 25, 2011 - 10:16AM

"Great football brain" ... James Graham.

England coach Steve McNamara has backed prop James Graham to be a superstar in the NRL with Canterbury next season.

The 26-year-old St Helens forward will link up with the Bulldogs after the Four Nations tournament in the UK next month, and McNamara believes he can follow the success of Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess when he heads to Sydney.

"What you see from James is what you get," McNamara said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"He is a real competitor, has a great football brain and superb hands and I think Canterbury fans will really warm to him and the way he plays and he'll be a great addition to their side."

McNamara admits he was not thrilled at Graham's decision to leave the Super League but said he had no problems with him wanting to try his luck in Australia.

"You want to keep your best players in the Super League because there is a danger of diluting the competition if they head to Australia," he said.

"Our fans want to see our best players so it is a bit disappointing to see him go, but I wish him luck and completely respect his decision to try a new challenge."

Despite being a fan of the NRL, McNamara was not about to agree that the Australian competition is much superior to Super League or that Ellis and Burgess had become better players since moving Down Under.

"I wouldn't say the NRL is better than Super League, but the two competitions are very different," he said.

"I think both demand different skills and Sam and Gareth have learned new skills since going out there, but they were both very good players before they went, and it's wrong to say they are better now than before."

McNamara has included four NRL players in his Four Nations squad in Ellis, his Wests Tigers teammate Chris Heighington, Brisbane's Jack Reed and Melbourne playmaker Gareth Widdop.

Reed scored a long-range try on his debut against France last Friday and McNamara has been impressed with the 23-year-old Yorkshire-born, Queensland-raised centre.

"He is a real character around the squad, a real Jack-the-lad and he has fitted into the squad really well," McNamara said.

"He is a very talented lad and we are delighted to have him."

Heighington also made his debut against the French in Avignon, a game the Lions won 32-18, and McNamara revealed he spoke to a number of people in Australia, including Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith before naming him in his squad.

"Chris is very solid player and a real 80-minute guy," he said

"I spoke to Brian among others about all of the guys that play in the NRL and they all had good things to say about him.

"Gareth (Ellis) also gave him a ringing endorsement and had only good things to say about Chris."

AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-bulldogs-20111025-1mh1n.html#ixzz1bl9hzbDq

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
watched glimpses of the france vs england game on the weekend. Even when he made awesome runs, he was still dominated in the tackle. That's what worries me. If the French can do it, imagine what the better teams in the NRL will do.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I have been watching him all year on cable in ESL, (i think some games were also on channel 9 late at night). he is a very decent player. Very gutsy, motivated and will provide some starch in the pack. he also appears to be in the right place at the right time a lot. he does have a good footy brain like the article says. He will be a great signing i think.

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
watched glimpses of the france vs england game on the weekend. Even when he made awesome runs, he was still dominated in the tackle. That's what worries me. If the French can do it, imagine what the better teams in the NRL will do.
Thats what i have been saying we will Struggle in the front row once again! Tolman + Graham =Work Horses Tapua + Kasiano + Browne = Line Benders...

You can only have one work horse not two!

But i hope i eat my words!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what i have been saying we will Struggle in the front row once again! Tolman + Graham =Work Horses Tapua + Kasiano + Browne = Line Benders...

You can only have one work horse not two!

But i hope i eat my words!

If youve watched his games you would have seen that whilst he is a workhorse he can get an offload away pass the ball and bend the line, something we are lacking personally i hate watching tolman looks great on the stat sheet but we already have that in Stagg who IMO should be dropped also for Finucane or Halatau.

Status
Not open for further replies.