Engagement Rings

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Firstly congrats, I just bought one for my missus and dropped 39k, 2ct, WG, 6 claw with paved diamonds 3/4 plus hidden halo and a personal touch, I included my birthstone within the inside of the band, which is really personal and no one does.

What you want to look for are the 4Cs of Diamonds - cut, colour, clarity, and carat. The actual band itself is easily made by the jeweller YG, WG, or Plat. Choose your style, solitaire, diamond-paved, look online see what you like, or what she likes and go from there.
@tonee mate you really know your stuff, thanks a lot. I like the idea of white gold but the lady wants yellow so I don't know what to do there. I guess the 4Cs are what I'll look out for.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, I haven't read any of the other responses as i don't need to. I've been married twice so I know what i'm doing. I'll keep this brief.

1. Too many guys get hung up on trying to get the perfect ring. Don't.

2.. Unless you're marrying another guy, as a man, you know nothing about jewelry. Nothing. Don't pretend you do. Don't try to find that little jeweler to "design" the ring. You're blowing, what, $10K+ on this? Would you spend this sort of money on anything else for another person without knowing anything about it? The girlfriend cum fiancee will be so happy to see you get down on one knee and she won't even really look at the ring at the time. She will say its beautiful. But chances are you will fuck it up, and she will secretly dislike it and whine to her friends about it.

3. So, knowing the above, do what I did (the 2nd time i got married as i'd learned from the first time). Firstly, buy a cheap ring from Michael Hill or wherever at one of their half price sales. Don't spend more than a few hundred. Fuck, you could even buy a fake diamond for a similar price as well (most women are usually just a clueless as blokes when looking at gemstones at first glance anyway). Lets call this ring "the practice ring". (Mrs CD actually got hers later adjusted by a jeweler friend and she still wears it occasionally on her other hand).

5. Propose. Congratulations. Make the situation romantic etc and the ring itself will almost be a sideshow. Then explain to the fiancee that you now want her to go ahead and get the ring of her dreams because you love her and she deserves it.

4. Let her take over from there. She will be so excited going to the jewelers with her mum or sister of BFF or whatever. She will now get the ring she really wants and is going to hopefully wear for a long time. its a win for you as, apart from paying for it, your job is done. if by any chance she is not happy with the end result, you are completely blameless. My wife's ring was eventually done by the Chinese jewelry place in Thailand who has been doing stuff for her family since they fled the revolution (which scored me even more brownie points with my MIL). It cost more than my car, and is beautiful. How the hell would I have been able to match that?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
congrats Wahesh.............................DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! jokes mate, I have been happily married for 22 years,raised two kids and been through all the good times and bad that go along with that and I can honestly say material things like rings mean fuck all in a marriage. it's just a symbol of your commitment to each other, the real tests come when the shit hits the fan and it will. The only advice I would give you is don't go overboard because they are not as important as you or she thinks.
All the best my friend.

Wahesh

Reaction score
congrats Wahesh.............................DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! jokes mate, I have been happily married for 22 years,raised two kids and been through all the good times and bad that go along with that and I can honestly say material things like rings mean fuck all in a marriage. it's just a symbol of your commitment to each other, the real tests come when the shit hits the fan and it will. The only advice I would give you is don't go overboard because they are not as important as you or she thinks.
All the best my friend.
Thanks a lot brother. My Mrs isn't the type to be a Bridzilla or anything like that, but just want to make sure she likes the ring so want something nice that she deserves.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
determine this chicks finger size. Steal her rings and take note if the size and either out it back or sell it on the streets of the area.
big difference in price or quality.
Lab diamonds are a bit cheaper because theres no africans getting killed trying to get them, and quality i virtually the same, although personally i like the authentic and 'blood sweat and tears' that went behind it
you cant go to belgium or somewhere for a xcheaper deal atm so thats out.

figure out te style you like, at the size you like, then shop around because some places are wayyyyy cheaper.
also you sound like you arent the best looking bloke so are you 100`% sure she will say yes?
if you order online you have a 30 day return period and that can be exploited to advantage (like the blood diamond africans) if she indeed does say no.
alot of other places will not offer a return, although some will do same day if u pay cash.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
btw australian diamond brokers in sydney cbd is the place to go.
You can search everything they have online, gain an understanding.
CD is correct, men know nothing about jewelry. Most women dont either
Once you've got an understanding on the types that visit them etc.
I went with something simple, cost about 6k but she loves it and i got the best head off my life the day i gave it to her
Go see my mate Rob. Tell him Cappuccino sent you and he will fix you up

Wahesh

Reaction score
btw australian diamond brokers in sydney cbd is the place to go.
You can search everything they have online, gain an understanding.
CD is correct, men know nothing about jewelry. Most women dont either
Once you've got an understanding on the types that visit them etc.
I went with something simple, cost about 6k but she loves it and i got the best head off my life the day i gave it to her
Go see my mate Rob. Tell him Cappuccino sent you and he will fix you up
I've taken a look at their Instagram page but haven't really seen what I'm after. I've got an idea of what I'm after so the style isn't the issue, it's more the diamond type/cut etc... if that makes sense.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, I haven't read any of the other responses as i don't need to. I've been married twice so I know what i'm doing. I'll keep this brief.

1. Too many guys get hung up on trying to get the perfect ring. Don't.

2.. Unless you're marrying another guy, as a man, you know nothing about jewelry. Nothing. Don't pretend you do. Don't try to find that little jeweler to "design" the ring. You're blowing, what, $10K+ on this? Would you spend this sort of money on anything else for another person without knowing anything about it? The girlfriend cum fiancee will be so happy to see you get down on one knee and she won't even really look at the ring at the time. She will say its beautiful. But chances are you will fuck it up, and she will secretly dislike it and whine to her friends about it.

3. So, knowing the above, do what I did (the 2nd time i got married as i'd learned from the first time). Firstly, buy a cheap ring from Michael Hill or wherever at one of their half price sales. Don't spend more than a few hundred. Fuck, you could even buy a fake diamond for a similar price as well (most women are usually just a clueless as blokes when looking at gemstones at first glance anyway). Lets call this ring "the practice ring". (Mrs CD actually got hers later adjusted by a jeweler friend and she still wears it occasionally on her other hand).

5. Propose. Congratulations. Make the situation romantic etc and the ring itself will almost be a sideshow. Then explain to the fiancee that you now want her to go ahead and get the ring of her dreams because you love her and she deserves it.

4. Let her take over from there. She will be so excited going to the jewelers with her mum or sister of BFF or whatever. She will now get the ring she really wants and is going to hopefully wear for a long time. its a win for you as, apart from paying for it, your job is done. if by any chance she is not happy with the end result, you are completely blameless. My wife's ring was eventually done by the Chinese jewelry place in Thailand who has been doing stuff for her family since they fled the revolution (which scored me even more brownie points with my MIL). It cost more than my car, and is beautiful. How the hell would I have been able to match that?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Can you please YouTube link me to your TED talk