Engagement Rings

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats and commiserations mate.
I went and had a look at rings without the future bride and found a jeweller who I liked.
Explained to him that I had no idea what I was after and that I'd bring the missus in to look at a new watch for me.
While we were in there one of his workers started showing her engagement rings and got an idea on what she liked. Made some jokes about it being too soon for that and left with my new watch.
Went back a few days later and they showed me the one she really liked so I bought it.
She said yes so it worked.
Did the same thing with my ex-missus when getting engaged and as you can see, the marriage went well.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One big diamond is better than a bunch of smaller diamonds. Never let her know the price. Never let her know where you bought it from ('cause she'll figure out the price)

Not much else to it. The rest is subjective.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Congrats and commiserations mate.
I went and had a look at rings without the future bride and found a jeweller who I liked.
Explained to him that I had no idea what I was after and that I'd bring the missus in to look at a new watch for me.
While we were in there one of his workers started showing her engagement rings and got an idea on what she liked. Made some jokes about it being too soon for that and left with my new watch.
Went back a few days later and they showed me the one she really liked so I bought it.
She said yes so it worked.
Now that's a smart man! :grinning:

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well fellas I'm almost at that point and I'm a bloke who knows SFA about rings. All I know is that the Mrs wants yellow gold instead of white (even though I'm trying to convince her to go white), and I know her ring size, but not sure what I'm meant to be looking for in terms of diamond cut and all the other things. I know nothing about metal so I'm at a loss. Does anyone who's been engaged/married recently have any tips?

Thanks

Sidenote: Nasheed's input will be completely overlooked, so no need for his reply.
Take your time you want to get it right....had to upgrade my three times already plus the eternity rings for each kid.

I went a class/clarity D or C for the first ring 0.8 carats worth the most out of all the rings. Custom made was value almost double what paid for it independently of course.

The last upgrade was with Zammels sale wife love it triple the size and cheaper. They do big sales twice the most expensive ring they is 15k new York collection and you can get 7k.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well fellas I'm almost at that point and I'm a bloke who knows SFA about rings. All I know is that the Mrs wants yellow gold instead of white (even though I'm trying to convince her to go white), and I know her ring size, but not sure what I'm meant to be looking for in terms of diamond cut and all the other things. I know nothing about metal so I'm at a loss. Does anyone who's been engaged/married recently have any tips?

Thanks

Sidenote: Nasheed's input will be completely overlooked, so no need for his reply.
I highly recommend you Take your time and do the research yourself. This includes not just understanding diamonds and rings, but understanding the specific style your girl wants. If she’s traditional then a single round diamond with a 6 claw setup is timeless.

When she realises all the effort you went to (instead of just buying something from a shop front, it will be worth it).

Anyone who tells you it’s about the size of the diamond or tries to tell you how much they spent or how much their husband spent on the ring is not someone to listen to. That’s Kmart brand style.

In terms of ring size, steal one of her other rings covertly and give it to your chosen jeweller - but try and make sure it’s one she wears on her wedding finger. If you’re more than 3 sizes too small or large, they will struggle to resize it post production.

If you’re unsure of her style then try and speak to her best friend, who will almost always know exactly what kind of style she wants.

The whole process is a months long effort and not weeks. Give or take 2-4 weeks to research and shop for jewellers, and then production process can take another few weeks depending on design etc.

Finally - avoid any business with a shop front - you’ll pay overs and you’re mostly paying for their rent, not the diamond or ring.

If you want a top quality custom jeweller PM me.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Look we have two options.

1. inbox me about my Lebanese Syrian (parents from each) friend. He does break and enters in good areas and often looks for things like rings and jewellery as custom orders for boys form the area and only gets quality. He also goes that extra stepto find the box and any certificate associated with then jewellery.
He is fairly well off and works as a front end developer but the Bankstown in him is very strong so he does this as a side hobby.
If you’re not too picky on the style, and want something like a mint condition 12 grand ring for less than half the price which it sounds like, this is a good option. What’s more, since your Lebanese he will do an even better deal for you if you ask him in Arabic. My friend ordered a ring from him that cost 14k for 3k! Even without the Cedar discount that still would have been 5. But it didn’t have a cert.
These houses are all insured so it’s literally win win,
His wife said yes instantly and they have a strong marriage!

Also,
I have another friend of a friend in the eastern suburbs, who cleans rings and will swap your ring for a fougazi upon first clean. This way you can resell the ring or get your money back and she won’t know the difference. This service will set you back about 500 + nominal amount to sort the fougazi. It does however take a couple weeks because he orders replicas from his contacts back in Israel.

you can also pull something off wit the same guy where you buy a 100k ring and deposit 10, he switches up the ring, and you claim insurance and keep the stone.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly recommend you Take your time and do the research yourself. This includes not just understanding diamonds and rings, but understanding the specific style your girl wants. If she’s traditional then a single round diamond with a 6 claw setup is timeless.

When she realises all the effort you went to (instead of just buying something from a shop front, it will be worth it).

Anyone who tells you it’s about the size of the diamond or tries to tell you how much they spent or how much their husband spent on the ring is not someone to listen to. That’s Kmart brand style.

In terms of ring size, steal one of her other rings covertly and give it to your chosen jeweller - but try and make sure it’s one she wears on her wedding finger. If you’re more than 3 sizes too small or large, they will struggle to resize it post production.

If you’re unsure of her style then try and speak to her best friend, who will almost always know exactly what kind of style she wants.

The whole process is a months long effort and not weeks. Give or take 2-4 weeks to research and shop for jewellers, and then production process can take another few weeks depending on design etc.

Finally - avoid any business with a shop front - you’ll pay overs and you’re mostly paying for their rent, not the diamond or ring.

If you want a top quality custom jeweller PM me.
Hey guy,

Sounding like a true professional. I have never had to buy a ring but advice like this sounds choice.

I like the fact that staying away from shop fronts is a good idea because you are paying the rent for them.

At least someone in this thread has given some great info regarding the specs and what to look out for and obviously knows what he is talking about.

@Wahesh take note champ.

Like and reply.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
also you sound like you arent the best looking bloke so are you 100`% sure she will say yes?
if you order online you have a 30 day return period and that can be exploited to advantage (like the blood diamond africans) if she indeed does say no.
alot of other places will not offer a return, although some will do same day if u pay cash.
Very fair point raised . You want to be pretty sure it's a done deal before you spend the cash. Some guys with a big potato head think they are a good looker, think the girl is in the bag when in reality she is embarrassed to be seen with them.

A good way forward would be to propose with a $50 cubic zirconia ring... if she says yes (the ring shouldn't be required to get the deal the done).. if she says yes, then maybe you can slip away with a $50 ring... Otherwise if you feel like doing the right thing, then say to her, now that the deal is done, we can go shopping for a proper ring. She gets what she likes.. if she says no, you can insult her by telling her the ring was $29.99 on sale at goldmark

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very fair point raised . You want to be pretty sure it's a done deal before you spend the cash. Some guys with a big potato head think they are a good looker, think the girl is in the bag when in reality she is embarrassed to be seen with them.

A good way forward would be to propose with a $50 cubic zirconia ring... if she says yes (the ring shouldn't be required to get the deal the done).. if she says yes, then maybe you can slip away with a $50 ring... Otherwise if you feel like doing the right thing, then say to her, now that the deal is done, we can go shopping for a proper ring. She gets what she likes.. if she says no, you can insult her by telling her the ring was $29.99 on sale at goldmark
Ladies and gentlemen's we have a fucking winner.

Like and reply.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Congratulations habibeh.

I'll tell you about the 3 rings of marriage....

Engagement ring
Wedding ring
Suffer-ring
That sounds like the three stages of sex for married couples.

Newlywed sex- This can take place anywhere in the house spontaneously.
Sex after 1-2 years- Likely to just be occasional sex that only takes place in the bedroom.
Sex after 3-5 years- This is when you pass each other in the hall and say fuck you.

On a serious note though I hope this goes well for you. I'd been wondering why your threads about the women at work you admired had stopped. I'm no help on rings though. You could try one of those gumball machines. Might cost you a few dollars but you'll eventually pull a ring out of one of those, in the meantime you'll also get a few toys to give to the nephews and nieces.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Thanks

The cut and type wont matter, if the ring doesn’t cost you 50% of your yearly salary she wont like it and will think you don’t truly love her mate!

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Sounding like a true professional. I have never had to buy a ring but advice like this sounds choice.

I like the fact that staying away from shop fronts is a good idea because you are paying the rent for them.

At least someone in this thread has given some great info regarding the specs and what to look out for and obviously knows what he is talking about.

@Wahesh take note champ.

Like and reply.
I was once in the same shoes as Wahesh and had no clue what to do.

just passing it on :grinning:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy her family a goat ,then legally you own her,a goat is much cheaper than a ring then they can cook the goat on the wedding day and you dont have to pay for food, covid has fucked travel so you will save even more on a honeymoon.so go to the royal hotel at wyong about $50 a night buy a kebab then go watch meth addicts go up the escalators the wrong way at wyong Coles.
Borrow some ones pension card and catch the train up for $2.50 tie a bunch of cans and shit to the back of the train job done