Elliott: Attack wasn't an issue in loss to Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs forward Adam Elliott has stuck up for his side's attack after they were kept scoreless in the 6-0 loss to the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium on Thursday night.

The Bulldogs were tackled out of the game by the premiership favourites, who defended inside their 20-metre zone for close to 10 extra sets on the goal line.

Elliott credited the Roosters' defensive efforts rather than focus on the Bulldogs' inability to score points in the greasy conditions.

"I don't think many teams would've held us out to zero when we threw so much at them," Elliott told NRL.com after the game.

"You can have a go at our attack but we had a game plan and stuck with it. We built pressure and in this competition, that's the best way to score points ... they were just too good in response.

"Both teams were in the grind and hung in there for play after play. To their credit, they did so well to hold us out. At the end of the second half we had a lot of ball and just couldn't crack it.

"We did all the fundamentals well but it come down to one try and individual skill on their behalf."

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay offered similar comments, arguing his side had made further improvement on their 27-10 victory against the Cowboys in Townsville a week earlier.

"There wasn't much in it," Pay said.

"I just thought from where we were last week I thought we improved again tonight, I really did.

"You can never question their effort. Their effort is fantastic. There were three or four times there where you're one pass away from scoring. We got over the line probably four or five times and couldn't get the ball down.

"You jag one of those and it could be a different story."

The Bulldogs have an eight-day turnaround before heading to Penrith for a second clash against the Penrith Panthers within the space of a month.

"The thing is we're getting close," Pay said.

"If we had of played [the Roosters] the way we played tonight in the first month I think we could've jagged another couple of wins. We've improved from that time and that's what we want to do."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/19...ck-wasnt-an-issue-in-loss-to-sydney-roosters/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attack wasnt an issue for loss? last time i checked you need to score points in attack to win games.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Clueless. Yes the Roosters defended well, but we often looked lost on the 5th and were just making it up as we went along. We only ever looked dangerous when Mbye or Morris almost made line breaks, but we were always just roped in.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
OMG I stopped after the "when we threw so much at them" part. Seriously this guy IS as dumb as he looks.

5 one up tackles and a bomb is not attacking football. This guy needs to be dropped.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Since when did this niff nuff become a voice for the dogs...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Too much time fronting the media this bloke, he should be out the gate lol

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Threw what at them you clueless fuk! 1 out hit ups for 4 tackles in there 20 then next play 2 passes wide then all of a sudden it's 5th tackle for a kick and hope get fukd you and pay seriously that attack was as bad if not worse then all of haslers years here!

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to stick to that rubbish up the middle game plan for 80 min you need quick the balls, alot of scoots from dh up the middle where they are tired and quicker service from dh. We ticked none of those boxes.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Toe the company line. If that was the game plan and they stuck to it then nah I’m good thanks.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never looked dangerous in attack once. Defence was solid yes. Literally Desball

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great to see Pay breeding the loser culture and attitude in the dressing rooms. No doubt Elliot was replicating what he was told in the sheds

Status
Not open for further replies.