Elliot / Mariner

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I know Elliot set up a try ... But fuck me these 2 ***** stifled every single left edge shift we made, always getting in the fucking way thinking they are the main option or playmaker. Absolutely sick of seeing our forwards dictate play. Averillo should have seen way more ball tonight.
Jackson has the same issues aswell but I won't get into that now.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Elliot set up a try ... But fuck me these 2 c*** stifled every single left edge shift we made, always getting in the fucking way thinking they are the main option or playmaker. Absolutely sick of seeing our forwards dictate play. Averillo should have seen way more ball tonight.
We need Foran to dominate that side and play some cut out passes to Averillo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need Foran to dominate that side and play some cut out passes to Averillo
Agree, Foran was very hesitant tonight imo... We played without a spine tbh

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Elliot was one of our best tonight, he did well and his mistakes came off trying hard to get the team rolling and on the front foot, he had passion and at least he wants to be here and out there giving his all.!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know Elliot set up a try ... But fuck me these 2 c*** stifled every single left edge shift we made, always getting in the fucking way thinking they are the main option or playmaker. Absolutely sick of seeing our forwards dictate play. Averillo should have seen way more ball tonight.
Sorry, I totally disagree. They were our two best forwards in my opinion. Elliot created more then any other player on the field, and RFM was tireless. I honestly didn't think his motor was this big.
If RFM gets too much ball on the left edge it's hardly his fault!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now I know why RFM doesn't start or spent the majority of his career in reserve grade when Des was coach... his decision making in defence is terrible..

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sorry, I totally disagree. They were our two best forwards in my opinion. Elliot created more then any other player on the field, and RFM was tireless. I honestly didn't think his motor was this big.
It's more a structural issue with this side than a problem with the individual. We don't play anywhere near direct enough while the spine spends far too much time getting the ball out the back instead of being in and around the ruck at first receiver and playing direct with options around them.

At the end of the day our systems were poor to begin with and with the rule change they're even more of an issue, unfortunately we simply can't change it up overnight.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Elliot was one of our best tonight, he did well and his mistakes came off trying hard to get the team rolling and on the front foot, he had passion and at least he wants to be here and out there giving his all.!!
That's the problem though, he was one of our best yes, but he blew so many chances by crowding and stopping the ball getting to Averillo

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's more a structural issue with this side than a problem with the individual. We don't play anywhere near direct enough while the spine spends far too much time getting the ball out the back instead of being in and around the ruck at first receiver and playing direct with options around them.

At the end of the day our systems were poor to begin with and with the rule change they're even more of an issue, unfortunately we simply can't change it up overnight.
New coach. One monster of an off season. Poor Thompson

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think RFM was definitely an issue on the left edge, especially late in the game when I think Averillo would have been dangerous. Elliot was good tonight. Can't blame him much. Foz really didn't lead our attack.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm not doubting their workload. Take the emotion out of it and go back and watch the game later and you will see what I mean. Perfect example was late in the first half when Elliot pushed up on Foran and over ran the play, he obviously called for it as Foz forced the forward pass even though we had shape ready to go out the back to Hoppa / Averillo. We always let the so called leaders in the forwards dictate play far too much... and we will never be a cohesive unit until it ends. Again not disputing their effort, it's just that they are focusing alot of their effort in the wrong places at the wrong times

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think RFM was definitely an issue on the left edge, especially late in the game when I think Averillo would have been dangerous. Elliot was good tonight. Can't blame him much. Foz really didn't lead our attack.
Agree, like I've said both forwards tried hard but no one's role and positioning is clear. Must have been frustrating for Averillo just waiting out there for clean ball that never came

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I agree. Far too often our halves are receiving the ball from forwards!
As for the rule change, is the game better for it? Yes. For the most part. It's definitely more exciting. But i can't help but think the refs call 6 again WAY too freely, and this is causing me to dislike it just as much.
Was the timing of the decision to create the 6 again rule adequate? Fuck no!! I can't believe they created a rule that has such massive, massive impact on games after the season had started. As if teams didn't have enough to contend with after Covid. And simply put, the better teams are handling this rule change with ease, and the poor teams are struggling massively. So it has actually just made it harder for us, and made us even worse.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He can still show this effort and passion whilst playing off his halves... Just over our structure where it sees him being our main point of attack... They guy is relentless and doesn't know when to pull back. I like the guy but Dean gives him too much pull in the way we play.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Agree, like I've said both forwards tried hard but no one's role and positioning is clear. Must have been frustrating for Averillo just waiting out there for clean ball that never came
Attack was to flat, slow and sideways. The only time we straighten the attack and went back to the middle we scored. The short passes between forward was the go. But no we played the out the back bullshit that went out 2 years ago. Pay really hasn't progressed. He is always a season behind everyone. I supported him but now he needs assassination because the board are weeks as fuck.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not doubting their workload. Take the emotion out of it and go back and watch the game later and you will see what I mean. Perfect example was late in the first half when Elliot pushed up on Foran and over ran the play, he obviously called for it as Fox forced the forward pass even though we have shape ready to go out the back to Hoppa / Averillo. We always let the so called leaders in the forwards dictate play far too much... and we will never be a cohesive unit until it ends. Again not disputing their effort, it's just that they are focusing alot of their effort in the wrong places at the wrong times
A lot if these problems around who dictates the play and forwards getting the ball in good field position stem from not having a dominant dummy half. We don’t have many options for hookers atm but i suggest Pay give Katoa a start next and if that fails try Cogger.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree. Far too often our halves are receiving the ball from forwards!
As for the rule change, is the game better for it? Yes. For the most part. It's definitely more exciting. But i can't help but think the refs call 6 again WAY too freely, and this is causing me to dislike it just as much.
Was the timing of the decision to create the 6 again rule adequate? Fuck no!! I can't believe they created a rule that has such massive, massive impact on games after the season had started. As if teams didn't have enough to contend with after Covid. And simply put, the better teams are handling this rule change with ease, and the poor teams are struggling massively. So it has actually just made it harder for us, and made us even worse.
It's really frustrating because we see glimpses here and there. Early on during the first half Wakeham was playing closer to the ruck, then with the first try we saw a beautiful piece of play, but for whatever reason we went away from it and persisted with this forward dominated play.

Like I said I think it's mostly a structural issue with the side, but there are other contributing factors. Players simply not being fit enough? Senior players having too much of an influence? Idk.

Either way Pay has to go and the sooner the better imo. A different voice calling the shots is needed and the system and coaching staff simply needs or be blown up and started from scratch because it just isn't good enough.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
is thompson theoretically cleared to play next week? even just off the bench would be great

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt it. He hasn't played in how long? He needs 2 weeks of training I feel. It's not like we are winning lol.
is thompson theoretically cleared to play next week? even just off the bench would be great