El Masri voted greatest goal kicker of all time

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So you attack the man and not the substance?

we aren't talking 2 percent here. One guy kicks 9/10 the other 8/10 and the 9/10 guy is more puffed out and has to steer a team around the park. El Masri just needs to hang on the side of the park smiling about how everyone loves him
Take ya meds

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Anyone who witnessed El Magics kicking during that finals where we played like 3 x 100 minute games in a row would know. That particular kick and I think it was against Parra in gail force wind from the sideline was something special. Think it was to draw the game? Was one of the best kicks in RL history.
mmm that was Halligan.:blush:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://click.nrl.com/?qs=0faf4935c21ff7c4b8484d3a7288fd990e78eae745b9e04a7b2c265b571e110f9ae950fa8df4176661a953e2da3f28e30e7937a2b527129edee2917bb8df1b5f&data=02|01||9eecbaa257494eb20e2108d7d14c3da6|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637207997694519940&sdata=OBQO4cFo42/HFYUKnPb2tk/Ga52vk3iGsf/HNxdOeko=&reserved=0

As good as El Magic was I'd still have Darryl Halligan in front of him as he could kick goals a LOT further away from the goalposts from any angle. Hazem was an outstanding goal kicker from within range and that was probably from 30 to 35 metres from the goalposts. Halligan could kick them from near halfway and I do remember a match where Ross Conlon kicked a goal when he was playing for Canterbury against Easts at the old Sydney Sports Ground (prior to the Sydney Football Stadium) from over half way. Commentators at the time couldn't believe it when he came over to take an attempt at goal from 5 or 10 on his own side of halfway. he kicked it straight through the middle.
George Taylforth could kick them from over halfway too. He was a reliable kicker, and a forward.

Les Johns once landed a huge field goal to win the game against Balmain at Leichhardt. This was before we had video refs. The referee was Col Pearce, if I recall correctly. He later said that he was uncertain if the ball had gone over, and was about to call it no goal, but the Balmain fullback, Keith Barnes, was standing right under the black dot, and applauded Johns. This was back in the days of good sportsmanship. Pearce said Barnes' reaction was good enough for him, and he awarded the goal.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't just call for someone to be banned because you don't like their opinion and can't compete on facts. That's Gulag stuff.
You've just been making up your own stats and "facts" on this thread and been shown up time and time again. Every time you post it needs to be fact-checked because you're such a blow arse.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You've just been making up your own stats and "facts" on this thread and been shown up time and time again. Every time you post it needs to be fact-checked because you're such a blow arse.
U r Fake news.
I simply brought up the fact which is undeniable that Hazem isn't the best goal kicker and not even close. Even Clearly smokes him.

The best for me is Halligan because
A) he was the original kicker
B) taught Hazem el Myth how to kick
C) invented a tee that everyone uses today
D) This is an exclusive.... no one realises that in Halligans first season, he kicked at 63% I kid you not. I don't know why, but he did something in that off season because he improved dramatically. If you run out his first seasom his percentage improves a couple of points.

Halligan deserves the accolades because he paved the way. He virtually invented goalkicking in rugby league.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
U r Fake news.
I simply brought up the fact which is undeniable that Hazem isn't the best goal kicker and not even close. Even Clearly smokes him.

D) This is an exclusive.... no one realises that in Halligans first season, he kicked at 63% I kid you not. I don't know why, but he did something in that off season because he improved dramatically. If you run out his first seasom his percentage improves a couple of points.

Halligan deserves the accolades because he paved the way. He virtually invented goalkicking in rugby league.
If you're basing it solely on goal kicking, halligan probably just inches hazem.

Overall game though there really is no comparison, hazem was better imo.

But they never played at the same time so this whole debate is pretty much pointless

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If you're basing it solely on goal kicking, halligan probably just inches hazem.

Overall game though there really is no comparison, hazem was better imo.

But they never played at the same time so this whole debate is pretty much pointless
They did play at the same time, but hazem floater between first and reserve grade.
He only took the mantle and established himself when Halligan retired.

I will reluctantly agree that Haz was a better player than Halligan on the whole.

The point I was making Was young Halligan was fire, but for some reason completely lost his athLeticism around 94, when probably why north's dumped him.
It is however important to look at a players whole career and judge them so yeah, Haz better than Daryl because Hazem lost his in field ability around 27 years of age whereas Halligan did around 25.
But it's a low bar because they were both turtles that had good footy brains, mainly relying on lethal feet.

2001 was a good year for El Masri on the field though. I won't take that season away from him as a player.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Slow? I remember in the 1995 Semi against Brisbane, he ran-down Willie Carne who was one of the fastest players in the NRL. Also in the GF 2 weeks later he came from the other side of the field to help shutdown a potential try when Nik Kosef broke free and was almost certain to score.

As for Hazem, I don't think anyone will forget the try-saving tackles he put on Lote in 2002 and also against Steve Bell in 2003. Wingers are NOT meant to be the defenders though, they're meant to be point scorers.
Ahh the nik kosef break in 95 he. Halligan come from the far wing did he..hes everywhere halligan

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
U r Fake news.

LOLLL Cleary may have smoked Hazem but by the same stats you're using both Hazem and Cleary smoked HALLIGAN. You're a moron. It's certainly hitting home now why so many people where cheering that you weren't posting on here for as long as you were gone.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
LOLLL Cleary may have smoked Hazel but by the same stats both Hazem and Cleary smoked HALLIGAN. You're a moron. It's certainly hitting home now why so many people where cheering that you weren't posting on here for as long as you were gone.
Do a search. Everyone was asking about Nasheed. They wanted Nasheed. They needed Nasheed.
I have stated my reason why I rate Halligan as number one. In typical fake news style you just glossed over it and took what you want.

I can quote my own post again if you like so you can't run away. Basically, Halligan invented how to do it so he gets the credit.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do a search. Everyone was asking about Nasheed. They wanted Nasheed. They needed Nasheed.
I have stated my reason why I rate Halligan as number one. In typical fake news style you just glossed over it and took what you want.

I can quote my own post again if you like so you can't run away. Basically, Halligan invented how to do it so he gets the credit.
Stats don't lie and your man HALLIGAN is so far down the pecking order people barely even remember him when the greatest goal kickers get mentioned and as a winger he scored 80 try's in 230 games. Lucky he could kick because he couldn't score.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Stats don't lie and your man HALLIGAN is so far down the pecking order people barely even remember him when the greatest goal kickers get mentioned and as a winger he scored 80 try's in 230 games. Lucky he could kick because he couldn't score.
Ok so you don't rate Halligan I take it as a kicker?
Wonder what the rest of the Kennel think about that. Ask them please. Nasheed.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok so you don't rate Halligan I take it as a kicker?
Wonder what the rest of the Kennel think about that. Ask them please. Nasheed.
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because you used Cleary and his stats to say he was far superior to El Masri and I've done the same thing to highlight Halligans lack of ability outside of having a mediocre kicking %

in what stats does Halligan trump El Masri?

Kicking ?
Try's?
Games?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Halligan was lightning in his north's days but lost it early on his bulldogs tenure.

still remember some footage of Halligan scoring a long range bears try and I was stunned at how he blitzed everyone chasing him and ran around them. Think the Moses try on the weekend or the Brett Morris try in the fullback highlight.
That was actually funny lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
338E01FE-F4DA-49DD-8480-7A6E8D0D49BB.jpeg
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because you used Cleary and his stats to say he was far superior to El Masri and I've done the same thing to highlight Halligans lack of ability outside of having a mediocre kicking %
We are talking about KICKING.
I don't care how good Halligan was as a player in a kicking thread.

you should know all about kicking as you do That when peopel are down