Eg 999,999 of media bias against club. QLD 14th man

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is also happened when Souths had 14th man controversy in earlier rounds. So Queensland had 14 at one point last night.. And this SMH article has repeated how it reported the situation, and this time, and it's what compelled me to post, it's gone out of its way to "gloss over what:

1685576373173.png

There's a notion of "lies" by omission that the media do all the time. So here, as with the SMH story over the Rabbits, and other such occurrences in the recent past, they fail to mention that Canterbury missed out on the Minor Premiership, including dismissing an impassioned defence by the club to avoid it during the season.

But now they are also adding in the situation with the Broncos , as if to suggest we weren't the only club to lose points. Again, a lie by omission, because the Broncos ultimately had their points re-instated, a clear double standard:

1685576566388.png

Note too, here, they dropped the year that it occurred for us, but not the Broncos. In my view, an attempt to make it harder for the uninformed to investigate for themselves. Here's the Rabbits article actually, and they do mention the Broncos too. But this is a more recent thing (to mention the Broncos incident) still:

1685576837455.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, so far we are the only club to have ever been docked points for the offense in the NRL era, and it's such a disgrace for us to be so because of what it cost us, that there is an unsaid rule to whitewash this NRL shame.

Also, I know I am citing only the Sydney Morning Herald here, but, obviously because I'm triggered each time, whenever an incident of a 14th man happens, I read articles from all over, and they do pretty much the same thing.

Yes, I know, I'm a fucking bitter old man. But the double standard policing of the Dogs continues to this day. And even if it's screaming into the wind, we have to make sure this knowledge is never lost.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
if anything they'll only cop a fine

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is also happened when Souths had 14th man controversy in earlier rounds. So Queensland had 14 at one point last night.. And this SMH article has repeated how it reported the situation, and this time, and it's what compelled me to post, it's gone out of its way to "gloss over what:

View attachment 72898

There's a notion of "lies" by omission that the media do all the time. So here, as with the SMH story over the Rabbits, and other such occurrences in the recent past, they fail to mention that Canterbury missed out on the Minor Premiership, including dismissing an impassioned defence by the club to avoid it during the season.

But now they are also adding in the situation with the Broncos , as if to suggest we weren't the only club to lose points. Again, a lie by omission, because the Broncos ultimately had their points re-instated, a clear double standard:

View attachment 72899

Note too, here, they dropped the year that it occurred for us, but not the Broncos. In my view, an attempt to make it harder for the uninformed to investigate for themselves. Here's the Rabbits article actually, and they do mention the Broncos too. But this is a more recent thing (to mention the Broncos incident) still:

View attachment 72900

Correct me if I'm wrong, so far we are the only club to have ever been docked points for the offense in the NRL era, and it's such a disgrace for us to be so because of what it cost us, that there is an unsaid rule to whitewash this NRL shame.

Also, I know I am citing only the Sydney Morning Herald here, but, obviously because I'm triggered each time, whenever an incident of a 14th man happens, I read articles from all over, and they do pretty much the same thing.

Yes, I know, I'm a fucking bitter old man. But the double standard policing of the Dogs continues to this day. And even if it's screaming into the wind, we have to make sure this knowledge is never lost.

You do know the ARL are in charge of Origin. And the NRL club games.

Two different organisations.

download.jpg

the-sky-is-falling.jpg

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You do know the ARL are in charge of Origin. And the NRL club games.

Two different organisations.

View attachment 72904

View attachment 72905
The point is not punishing Queensland. The point is that it's a mark on the blot sheet that the Rugby League community was OK with what transpired in 2009, and upon reflection, hide the shame of what clearly was unequal treatment based on a inherit bias against the club.

Remember, Souths did this a few weeks ago, and rightly, there was never the threat of loss of comp points. They collectively learn their excesses against the Dogs (hipdrop crack down, magic round head high "send offs" for incidental head contact, forward pass video ref reviews, the list goes on), and then moderate policing after we've copped the unreasonable penalty.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The bias is real, despite the attempts by some to belittle or reduce the severity of the comparable incidents.
You are correct. Only the Dogs have lost points....fact.

But the whole idea of "14 PLayers on" speaks more to ineptitude and incompetence.

It should never be a post-match changing of the result situation (like docking points).
It should be handled then and there on the field (like it was in last night's game).

In the first instance, the interchange official is responsible. So long as the benchie is doing what that official said, then he can go on the field.
It's a bit like being at 8m instead of back the 10m. If the ref says it's okay, then you're okay (The Ref is still a D!ckhead, but...)

In the second instance, if the Ref/Touchies/Video pick up 14 on, then the penalty is the correct decision, or disallowed try, or whatever the immediate circumstance is.

If a player refuses the command of the official (Ref/Touchie/Bench Control, whatever) then the normal punishment for dissent apply (penalty / sin bin / send off / judiciary / suspension, etc).

This really doesn't have to be a big deal and can be handled much more simply and effectively.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dogs do cop a pineapple on such matters but there is no way they change the result of last nights game.
Damn right. Copped a FIVE-HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE for not dressing well enough (according to the 'fashion police') and for offending 'pearl clutchers' everywhere by not looking suitably contrite while attending a police station over an incident that NEVER HAPPENED.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Damn right. Copped a FIVE-HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE for not dressing well enough (according to the 'fashion police') and for offending 'pearl clutchers' everywhere by not looking suitably contrite while attending a police station over an incident that NEVER HAPPENED.
Agree mate, it’s become part of the fabric for a long time now, once upon a time all the crap used to galvanise us but with the roster and personalities we have had in recent times, the boys struggle to respond to it - admittedly though, this current group of men have shown some resilience this year, definitely a positive step forward!

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
admittedly though, this current group of men have shown some resilience this year, definitely a positive step forward!
I think there is much to be optimistic about this year (and for the future).
Far from perfect, and the performances and results have still been frustrating (very, at times), but plenty to say we're heading in the right direction.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's shocking how biased the administration and the media can be however it's something we are never going to change. The Souths are media darlings and are well connected which explains a lot of decisions that go their way and the Broncos back at that point were owned by News Corp, there's 0 chance that they wouldn't do everything in their power to assist them.

Add onto this the perception that the 'Dogs have bad fans and it makes sense why the bias is there against us. It's just how it is, also keep in mind that the Broncos and Souths also fight the administration consistently. Greenburg in his chase for a higher role basically just folded to what the NRL wanted

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are being punished reading this shit.

I remember Souths doing it. It was against my team. I moved on from it.

Maybe, so should you. It was 14 years ago that it happened to your club.
Relax the man has every right to his opinion and I agree with what he says.
Just cause south’s beat the broncos with 14 players and you’re ok with it doesn’t mean we get over all the bullshit we cop.
Yes it’s double standard and we will keep pointing it out.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry, i can't let this go.. When we copped the points drop, it was based off of a Round 3 indiscretion in the 2009 season. We'd missed out on Minor Premiership and Finals series participation in 2002, for reasons we must all accept as legitimate. Our club (Todd Greenberg... well, that might explain things actually), seemingly tried hard to avoid the punishment. But it's my belief, because they've had form throughout the years, the myopic NRL treated the situation differently as it was early in the season (same as penalties etc early in a match, it's even a human nature thing).

The club fought hard because they knew that dropped points could cost position, which could be any of avoiding wooden spoon, making the 8, making the 4, winning a Minor Premiership, etc. Given it has the word winning in it, I suggest that the latter *is* the biggest cost the club was seeking to avoid.

The NRL just dismissed us as if we were pissants... Early in the season... what are the chances Dogs finish top!

So we now have this aberration where the the Bulldogs are the club that missed out on *winning* two Minor Premierships due to points penalties:

* one for the grave indiscretion that involved even criminal activity
* and the other for fielding a player who had no involvement, for a period of seconds.

The absurdity is palpable.

And now, everytime this 14th man situation comes up, because they never admit their faults and biases, and because the only thing to do is to avoid bringing up the subject, like having a mass murderer in the family, we Bulldogs supporters have to "move on".

Never forget, never forgive.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Never forget
100% on board with that...
never forgive
Meh, more like...forgive only those that show contrition and wish to atone for their transgression.
Since that is and always has been an impossibility for the NRL, let's go with your version... "never forgive".

Back to never forgetting for a moment. Remember, we were screwed twice to miss the 2009 Minor Premiership..."The Milkman Scandal"

I would think the least we could do is receive a $100,000 cheque + interest (12% p.a. should suffice) + any sponsor bonuses we might have lost (again, with interest). Actually, they keep their money. Add whatever that figure works out to be to our salary cap for next year.

for reasons we must all accept as legitimate.
If "legitimate" includes overlooking ("not seeing") similar, and at times worse, indiscretions from competing clubs with lesser penalties then sure, "we must all accept", I guess... (except I don't because of that very assymetric application of the "roolz" - then and since).

I would feel 2002 much less (and be more amenable to "bygones..."), if we had gone on to win (as we would very likely had done) and then had the title stripped later (ala Melbourne)...AND...had it not been the Rorters that had become the direct beneficiary of "the decision" - the irony of that.

We were treated to a quick look behind the curtain that year, and another in 2004.
The difference in 2004 was one Steve Folkes' who led front the front in the biggest FU to the NRL in its short 25 year life.

Dogahol

Waterboy
Reaction score
At the time I thought a Sin Bin should have applied for the incoming player. That would have been fair. No pu8nishment from here really matters

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 72898

View attachment 72899

View attachment 72900

Why would you worry about having an extra man for 30 seconds? When they actually won the game with one less man for 10 minutes