Eels Wants NRL To Help Pay For Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wallabies star Quade Cooper reportedly prepared to join NRL if money is rightBy Peter Badel
August 15, 2010 Wallabies star Quade Cooper is prepared to walk away from rugby union if the NRL provides an extra $200,000 to his offer from Parramatta.

The revelation comes as Eels star Jarryd Hayne declared Cooper would be a hit in rugby league.

Hayne urged the NRL to strike a blow for the code by targeting the Wallabies playmaker.

Hayne's stance was backed by Fox Sports rugby league expert Greg Alexander, who called on the NRL to assist the Eels in their bid to poach Cooper just 12 months out from the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

While Cooper is adopting a diplomatic line to avert ructions with his ARU paymasters, privately the 22-year-old is seriously considering a code switch after meeting with Hayne and Eels powerbrokers Paul Osborne and Roy Spagnolo on Thursday night.

Cooper told the Eels trio he is interested in joining the club next season.

The Cooper camp are unhappy at suggestions they are using Parramatta to drive up their asking price after the Queensland utility turned down a $1 million offer from French rugby.

But the final impediment to his stunning code switch is money, with Cooper reluctant to quit rugby if Parramatta cannot trump the estimated $600,000 he stands to earn with the ARU next year.

With the Eels having around $500,000 to spend, their hopes of snaring Cooper hinge on whether the NRL is prepared to bankroll the biggest Wallaby defection since rugby turned professional in 1996.

Alexander said the NRL would be foolish to ignore the public relations opportunities in poaching Cooper after seeing big-name stars Craig Gower, Karmichael Hunt, Sonny Bill Williams and Israel Folau lost to rugby and AFL in recent seasons.

"It is time for the NRL to do something. Let's get Quade Cooper," Alexander said.

"Why not do it? The other codes have done it to us, why shouldn't we do it?

"I know it wouldn't be a popular decision (for the NRL to subsidise Cooper's Eels deal), but if a guy like Quade Cooper is interested in league, we shouldn't be closing the door on him. The AFL stepped in to help get Israel Folau, the ARU has stepped up previously to top-up several league guys' contracts like Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor.

"If I was David Gallop (NRL boss), I'd be saying here's some money, pick which club you want to play with and we'll give you a top-up. I know NRL clubs will jump up and down, but Quade Cooper would be a massive coup for the game.

"He's got the goods. The NRL's help could drag him across the line."

After meeting with Cooper on Thursday night, Hayne urged the Reds playmaker to play alongside him at the Eels next season.

"He would adapt for sure, I'd love to play with him," said Hayne, who has struck up a friendship with Cooper via Twitter.

"Quade would be good for us, he's a great player."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27557932-5016959,00.html

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Uh how about no?

That would be bullsh!t...

I didn't see everyone advocating this when we weren't allowed to pay SBW more when he was our most marketable player...I didn't see the NRL try and help us poach Kaino, Nonu and etc..

Either abolish the Salary Cap and let the weaker teams die or bloody enforce it properly and stop letting teams like the Eels, Dragons and Broncos accumulate talent that they shouldn't have in the first place

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
all i can say is F@#K OFF EELS!!!
if u can't afford to buy him don't look to the NRL to save u just cause u think "He'll be good for the game".
also gotta love how just because Hayne "thinks he will be a hit" that it means anything.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
so let him go to the Sharks, I'm sure they've got a cool 600k spare

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, see this is the problem.

Dragons got favours for the NRL to sign up Gasiner and as a result every other side will now want a favour. This is what the Eels are asking.

Hey Greenburg for our favour ask NRL to pay Eastwoods transfer fee!!!

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
AFL put money into buying Hunt and Folau, it's a league asset having him. Just not at the Eels.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, see this is the problem.

Dragons got favours for the NRL to sign up Gasiner and as a result every other side will now want a favour. This is what the Eels are asking.

Hey Greenburg for our favour ask NRL to pay Eastwoods transfer fee!!!
I agree if they are gonna do favors give Eastwood back to us...it's the least the NRL can do for us Doggies!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I have a better idea: Sign one of the top AFL players and put him in the front row or anywhere. He will get absolutely pumped all game, thay way everyone can easily see how gay AFL is.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This guy has talent but he won't solve the eels halves crisis.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IF the NRL allow this they should also help us get SBW back

Status
Not open for further replies.