News Eels target Bulldogs star: Transfer Whispers

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric may be on too many $$ with us but let's remember the reason we bought him in the first place. He was a current Australian representative and was a star in a Canberra team which was clearly better than the team he had around him at Bulldogs in 2021. Let's give him a chance with a much improved roster at the Dogs. If (when) he shines for the Dogs in 2022, people will not be so readily saying let's ship him off to the Parra Scum. Make no mistake - Cotric is an extremely good player.
I'm not sure Cotric is as good as he was 2/3 years ago.
Definitely not as fast. Appears to lack agility. Too much muscle mass??

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He seems to have gotten a lot bigger and put on heaps more muscle over the last 24 months which might have soemthing to do with it

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Maybe but I feel it would be pretty hard for anyone to have looked much good in the rabble that was the Bulldogs 2021 team. Let's wait and see - next year's roster will still be a work in progress but no doubt it's stronger and more balanced than the 2021 roster

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Play him as an edge forward instead ? He might even go ok as 13 in the middle with some of his decent footwork. Just looks too crabby and slow in the centres and may not have the pace for the wing any more

Last edited:

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bullshit story, but if we should be offloading someone, it is Corey Allen. Has not delivered anything for us and is now well and truly surplus to requirements, with Naden, Schoup, Cotric, JAC and Dufty forming our back line.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bullshit story, but if we should be offloading someone, it is Corey Allen. Has not delivered anything for us and is now well and truly surplus to requirements, with Naden, Schoup, Cotric, JAC and Dufty forming our back line.
It's not about offloading Corey Allen, it's about "is there another NRL team who is even remotely interested in him" LOL

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unless Cotric doesn't know its BS.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not that simple mate. Cotric at $650k and Okonbur at $200k approx.

Of course Cotric is better but I would actually rather Okonbur if it helped us free up $500k plus to sign a decent halfback / hooker
I opt for Jayden regardless of money. A local junior who can be a real fright to opposing teams. Unfortunate the Injury kept him off the paddock for such a long period. Came back impressively. I would like to see him moved into centre. He would be quite a handful and can bust tackles.

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I believe Cotric will be a very damaging centre or winger, perhaps more suited to centre these days with much better forwards and decent pair of halves. I certainly don’t want to see him go

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe but I feel it would be pretty hard for anyone to have looked much good in the rabble that was the Bulldogs 2021 team. Let's wait and see - next year's roster will still be a work in progress but no doubt it's stronger and more balanced than the 2021 roster
A sensible post.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I opt for Jayden regardless of money. A local junior who can be a real fright to opposing teams. Unfortunate the Injury kept him off the paddock for such a long period. Came back impressively. I would like to see him moved into centre. He would be quite a handful and can bust tackles.
True. But centre is a key defensive position on the backline, and his efforts so far on the wing would indicate he has to improve his defence markedly to be a viable option in the centre.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe Cotric will be a very damaging centre or winger, perhaps more suited to centre these days with much better forwards and decent pair of halves. I certainly don’t want to see him go
Agreed i think naden outside him on the wing could be good

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Word of advice don’t believe everything Gus says, he talks a lot of shit and is always contradicting his statements. He was the one that said we have cap issues then says we don’t blah blah. He always says what he feels is right to say it isn’t always the truth.
Gus is playing the game he needs to play, if he comes out saying they have cap space, every player agent will try and milk them for what it’s worth… by making those statements, confuses everything, never reveal all your cards, the guy is a genius, he’s set up Penrith for life, hopefully does the same with us.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A sensible post.
No doubt about Cotric's ability...
In a good team he can be a devastating wing centre or even a backrower, the question remains can we afford too many expensive outside backs ?
I am not suggesting that he is the one to go but we all now Gus made it clear that we need to make space for a better spine, all I am hoping for that Gus has learnt Bullforg's cunning art, of course I mean it in a good way, to be a great play maker you need to posses a great dummy, the same applies to management otherwise players and their managers and other teams managers will make a fool out of you.
Sadly this has been our problem for many years !!!

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No doubt about Cotric's ability...
In a good team he can be a devastating wing centre or even a backrower, the question remains can we afford too many expensive outside backs ?
I am not suggesting that he is the one to go but we all now Gus made it clear that we need to make space for a better spine, all I am hoping for that Gus has learnt Bullforg's cunning art, of course I mean it in a good way, to be a great play maker you need to posses a great dummy, the same applies to management otherwise players and their managers and other teams managers will make a fool out of you.
Sadly this has been our problem for many years !!!
I agree we need to move expensive players on to improve our spine. I just don't see options for a decent 7 or 9 before 2023. Mitchell Pearce would be a waste of space in his current form and frequently injured.
I also think whoever plays 7 has to be a better than average goal kicker. If we play Wakeham at 7, then apart from Schoupp who kicked a few times in nsw cup, then we are lacking in that area. Not sure if Burton can kick goals.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nick hasn't worked out as a centre, never tried at fullback and too expensive for a winger...I say let him go...if close to contract money. Sure we've been busy in player market and have an issue with inadequate cap space devoted to spine players...but seriously...it's 1 thing to have cap space for spine players but another thing to find reasonably priced spine players on the market.
The bad news is that the market will ONLY tighten for 2023 with the Dolphins coming in. So I predict much action come Nov 1 with many clubs not afraid to rebalance their cap by trading players under contract ahead of the Dolphins joining the NRL with cap allowances in 23.
We never really got to see. JAC would have struggled in the 2021 season with us. All Cotric got was passes when he had defenders on top of him. Hes a finisher, but we barely started anything to finish.

Hopefully with players like Burton, tpj and dufty coming we might see some 2nd phase play so our backs can shine. All they have been doing is running it up like forwards