Eastwood happy to front up for Kiwis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
New Zealand forward Greg Eastwood doesn't see himself as a front rower but he's happy to do the job for his country in the upcoming Four Nations rugby league tournament.

Eastwood played in the back row during his five seasons in the NRL but injuries at Leeds Rhinos during his season-long stint in the Super League this year saw him shift to the front row, and he also starred at prop during New Zealand's 50-6 win against Samoa at Auckland last Saturday.

And when Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney names his team for the Four Nations opener against England in Wellington on Saturday, there's a good chance Eastwood will again find himself in jersey No 8 or 10.

It's a role Eastwood does not see himself performing long-term, but he is happy to occupy if it means helping his country.

"I hope not," the 23-year-old replied when asked if he had a future at prop.

"I'm trying to lose a bit of weight so I can move back into back row.

"We had a lot of injuries at Leeds - I think four of our front rowers were injured - so I had to fit in to prop.

"It's sort of similar to lock in that you're just working around the rucks, so I find it all right. If I get a starting position at lock I'm more than happy to do the job."

The former Brisbane Broncos and Bulldogs star is returning to Canterbury next season and you sense he is already relishing being back in the NRL.

"It probably wasn't to my liking," he said of his time with Leeds.

"I missed my family a bit and it was cold, there was snow until about March, so it wasn't good. It's great to be back in camp, you feel back at home.

"It's good to be back in New Zealand where I grew up and to be back in the black and white, it's a good feeling."

His knowledge of the English pack told him to expect a torrid match on Saturday, with the Kiwis camp reading little into England's 18-18 draw with New Zealand Maori at Auckland last Saturday.

"I know they're going to be fired up. They've got Sam Burgess and Gareth Ellis, who have been going really well in the NRL," Eastwood said.

"(Adrian) Morley will be a loss but I'm sure the other guys coming through will step up, so it's going to be tough in the forwards."

Source

djt

doggies no.1
Reaction score
I'm glad he said that he is trying 2 lose weight so he will be abit more mobile,I thought he would like it up front.

I read in the paper that Dave Shillington is off contract at the end of next year he is exactly wat we need up front,Canberra will have a pretty ordinary year next year with no campese so shillington might have a look around!!
Kasiano n taupau will take armit n hodgeson's spots before anyone says anything about buying more players,we are lacking that experienced forward now that hannant is gone.

Hercules

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm glad he said that he is trying 2 lose weight so he will be abit more mobile,I thought he would like it up front.

I read in the paper that Dave Shillington is off contract at the end of next year he is exactly wat we need up front,Canberra will have a pretty ordinary year next year with no campese so shillington might have a look around!!
Kasiano n taupau will take armit n hodgeson's spots before anyone says anything about buying more players,we are lacking that experienced forward now that hannant is gone.
100% Agree regarding your comments on Shillington, Kasiano and Taupau. Shillington will attract alot of interest and can expect a considerable pay rise with teams jostling for his signature. I don't expect the Dogs to buy many players for 2012, as confirmed by management, but what few players are purchased, rumour has it they will be big names.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"I'm trying to lose a bit of weight so I can move back into back row.

That's what Hickey said year after year. I understand that he had a lot of injuries and thus could not have trained as much but he was hardly in shape when he was with us. I just don't understand how in this day and age, with personal trainers, that one can not come down to an acceptable weight.

I really hope he does lose considerable weight because that would mean he would be on the fielder longer and that beautiful step he possesses would be sharper

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Everyones forgetting Browne and Forster are going to be ahead of Kasiano and Taupau for Prop spots.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Foster has played Prop at NSW Cup level and was a waste everytime he played in that position. He is a 2nd Rower through and through.

Last edited by a moderator:

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's Foster FFS! Not Forster!

Get it right lol

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Olols thank fck for that, I was starting to think it was actually Forster and that I had been wrong all along.
Sounds like a few people here need a holiday up the north coast...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Since when has actual positions stopped Moore playing players out of position.

Morrin is predominately a Second Rower too, and Green a halves player.

and re the spelling... meh typos be typos. These things happen at 80 words a minute !

Sounds like a few people here need a holiday up the north coast...
My parents own shares in a timeshare resort up there in Jamal Idris country! :grinning:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...e=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Forster+New+South+Wales&z=14

Last edited by a moderator:

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Forster and Pattern are da most hectic playerz eva!

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
pretty sure Broncos are returning back to training in November, SO I assume Hannant is back in Gold coast/Brisbane already
I was just joking around lol hence he hectic spelling. :grinning:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
whatever position eastwood plays in he will be a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.