Opinion Early 2021 Ladder Predictions

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's definately way too early to make a prediction on the ladder for next year due to pre season injuries, player transfers and the upcoming off-season player blunders. But based on how things are so far andassuming things don't change from now until season kick off, here's how I think the ladder might look like next season.

1. Sydney Roosters
2. Canberra Raiders
3. South Sydney Rabbithos
4. Melbourne Storm
5. Newcastle Knights
6. Penrith Panthers
7. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
8. New Zealand Warriors
9. Gold Coast Titans
10. Parramatta Eels
11. Brisbane Broncos
12. St George Illawara Dragons
13. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
14. North Queensland Cowboys
15. Cronulla Sharks
16. Wests Tigers

I'm sure that my predicted ladder will change between now and the end of the season.

MAJOR IMPROVERS
Manly-Warraingah Sea Eagles - this one entirely depends on player availability. If players like Tom Trbojevic & Kieran Foran can fit, if they get Maise Fainu back early, if Dylan Walker can go a season without punching someone. Their first 17 is a very solid team with quality around the park. Addin-Fonua Blake is a major loss but was mitigated by Josh Aoloai who is on the up. However they released a few second rowers and their stock there looks thin. This one is up in the air; a few injuries could see their season crashing back down.

Brisbane Broncos - I mean it can't get any worse. They are too big of a club to have two seasons like that back to back and with the squad they have, they should be challenging for top 4. Bringing in a new coach will be good but it's not all on Seibold, cleaning out the administration will help the football team. They've scrapped dead weight like Bird, Boyd and Ofahengaue and whilst Fifta is great he barely played in 2020. They have plenty of young talent who will be all the stronger and more experienced. Whilst I'm not sold on Walters, I think he will be able to get more out of players like Milford which could be key.

FALLEN HEREOS
Penrith Panthers - the mental pain of winning 17 in a row and losing a grand final might just play on the young Penrith team. The Panthers shocked everyone in 2020, that won't be happening again as teams will be up to play them every week. Losing experience like Tamou and Mansour can't be underestimated, neither can losing Barrett. This young Panthers team has a premiership in them, it's just not in 2021.

Parramatta Eels - easily the most inconsistent team over the past decade. They made the top 4 in 2017 then won the spoon in 2018. Nothing surprises me with this team and I think their lack of winning mentality showed in the last few months of the season. Their halfback and marquee signing Mitch Moses goes missing when they need him most and Gutherson is all effort but lacks the polish of the true elite level fullbacks of the game. The definition of a paper tiger.

MAIN DANGERS
Canberra Raiders - my pick for the premiership next year. The logistical nightmare they had in 2020 by playing home games in Campbelltown and were still able to make the prelims. Their first 17 is scary good and consistent across the park. Their forward pack in particular is frightening; they could have 2 major injuries and still have one of the best packs in the comp. They lost Bateman and Cotric who are both excellent players but they have replacements for both. Jack Wighton and George Williams really came into their own last year, plus with Hodgson coming back and the rise of players like Starling and Horsborough, Canberra look geared for a premiership assault.

Sydney Roosters - you can't keep champions down long and 2020 looked like one season too much for the Roosters (mind you they still finished in the top 4). Consistent across the park, with the championship team and a ruthless coach in Robinson, they will be looking to re-gain their title. Don't under-estimate the importance of Radley to this team, if he's fit the whole season they will be back around the top of the ladder. The big circles are around their 7 and the fitness of Cordner, but with the rise of Crichton and Tupouniua in 2020 at least one of those issues is mitigated.

CELLAR DWELLERS
Wests Tigers - this club is honestly a shit show. Maguire seems to have lost the faith of the playing group, players running for the door, back-flipping on deals. Signing James Roberts is a worrying sign. Add to that losing Grant and Marshall, I don't see how Tigers improve on their 2020 season. My favorites for the spoon.

Cronulla Sharks - aeging squad riddled with injuries and players who are past their best taking up massive chunks of the cap. I feel bad for John Morris, he inherited quite a mess but our kind thoughts won't help him in 2021. Didn't beat a single team in the top 8 last year and for good reason.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I think if Cody walker is right Souths will be favourites for sure for the premiership. Melbourne seem to have been able to keep JAC, grant etc if that stays the same they will be right up there as well. I expect the chooks to slide a bit and Titans to finish 7th or 8th. Big year for the knights they have been massive underperformers and their forward pack will be rediculous, klemer, fitzgibon, the Saifitis, Barnet and now frizell! will be interesting to see how they go.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think if Cody walker is right Souths will be favourites for sure for the premiership. Melbourne seem to have been able to keep JAC, grant etc if that stays the same they will be right up there as well. I expect the chooks to slide a bit and Titans to finish 7th or 8th. Big year for the knights they have been massive underperformers and their forward pack will be rediculous, klemer, fitzgibon, the Saifitis, Barnet and now frizell! will be interesting to see how they go.
Agreed, I woulnd't surpised if Knights sneak into the top 4 at the expense of Souths. Injuries were cruel to them last year. This year if they have a clean bill of health, Adam O'Brein has no excuse for not making the 4 or getting very close.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll be bottom half of the 8 as will Melbourne.
Eels and Scabbitohs to collapse out of the 8 completely.
Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Warriors and Broncos biggest improvers.
Raiders and Knights and Manly the hard to beats.
The rest I agree with.

Dogs4eva13

Reaction score
We'll be bottom half of the 8 as will Melbourne.
Eels and Scabbitohs to collapse out of the 8 completely.
Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Warriors and Broncos biggest improvers.
Raiders and Knights and Manly the hard to beats.
The rest I agree with.
Manly is an interesting one at full strength look like a top 8 side but without Fanu can't see them doing much and last year showed they don't have much depth, will have to have a run line Penrith this year with injuries to make the 8 I reckon.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly is an interesting one at full strength look like a top 8 side but without Fanu can't see them doing much and last year showed they don't have much depth, will have to have a run line Penrith this year with injuries to make the 8 I reckon.
They'll have Turbo back and he makes them very dangerous plus they recruited well.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They'll have Turbo back and he makes them very dangerous plus they recruited well.
If TT and Foran both play the majority of games then Manly have good chance of Top 4, but there is a lot of history against that happening.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest improvers is certainly The Titans. They have recruited very well,.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Rabbitohs
3. Panthers
4. Roosters
5. Raiders
6. Knights
7. Bulldogs
8. Eels
9. Titans
10. Warriors
11. Dragons
12. Manly
13. Cowboys
14. Broncos
15. Sharks
16. Tigers

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. Penriff
2. Titans
3. Raiders
4. Souffs
5. Parra
6. Storm
7. Dragons
8. Rorters

9. Knights
10. Cowboys
11. Bulldogs
12. Once Were Warriors
13. Sharts
14. Tigers
15. Hustlers' Manly
16. Broncos back 2 back!

Dogs4eva13

Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Rabbitohs
3. Panthers
4. Roosters
5. Raiders
6. Knights
7. Bulldogs
8. Eels
9. Titans
10. Warriors
11. Dragons
12. Manly
13. Cowboys
14. Broncos
15. Sharks
16. Tigers
That looks pretty spot on to me.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
It's definately way too early to make a prediction on the ladder for next year due to pre season injuries, player transfers and the upcoming off-season player blunders. But based on how things are so far andassuming things don't change from now until season kick off, here's how I think the ladder might look like next season.

1. Sydney Roosters
2. Canberra Raiders
4. Melbourne Storm
5. Newcastle Knights
6. Penrith Panthers
8. New Zealand Warriors
9. Gold Coast Titans
10. Parramatta Eels
11. Brisbane Broncos
15. Cronulla Sharks
16. Wests Tigers

I'm sure that my predicted ladder will change between now and the end of the season.

MAJOR IMPROVERS
Manly-Warraingah Sea Eagles - this one entirely depends on player availability. If players like Tom Trbojevic & Kieran Foran can fit, if they get Maise Fainu back early, if Dylan Walker can go a season without punching someone. Their first 17 is a very solid team with quality around the park. Addin-Fonua Blake is a major loss but was mitigated by Josh Aoloai who is on the up. However they released a few second rowers and their stock there looks thin. This one is up in the air; a few injuries could see their season crashing back down.

Brisbane Broncos - I mean it can't get any worse. They are too big of a club to have two seasons like that back to back and with the squad they have, they should be challenging for top 4. Bringing in a new coach will be good but it's not all on Seibold, cleaning out the administration will help the football team. They've scrapped dead weight like Bird, Boyd and Ofahengaue and whilst Fifta is great he barely played in 2020. They have plenty of young talent who will be all the stronger and more experienced. Whilst I'm not sold on Walters, I think he will be able to get more out of players like Milford which could be key.

FALLEN HEREOS
Penrith Panthers - the mental pain of winning 17 in a row and losing a grand final might just play on the young Penrith team. The Panthers shocked everyone in 2020, that won't be happening again as teams will be up to play them every week. Losing experience like Tamou and Mansour can't be underestimated, neither can losing Barrett. This young Panthers team has a premiership in them, it's just not in 2021.

Parramatta Eels - easily the most inconsistent team over the past decade. They made the top 4 in 2017 then won the spoon in 2018. Nothing surprises me with this team and I think their lack of winning mentality showed in the last few months of the season. Their halfback and marquee signing Mitch Moses goes missing when they need him most and Gutherson is all effort but lacks the polish of the true elite level fullbacks of the game. The definition of a paper tiger.

MAIN DANGERS
Canberra Raiders - my pick for the premiership next year. The logistical nightmare they had in 2020 by playing home games in Campbelltown and were still able to make the prelims. Their first 17 is scary good and consistent across the park. Their forward pack in particular is frightening; they could have 2 major injuries and still have one of the best packs in the comp. They lost Bateman and Cotric who are both excellent players but they have replacements for both. Jack Wighton and George Williams really came into their own last year, plus with Hodgson coming back and the rise of players like Starling and Horsborough, Canberra look geared for a premiership assault.

Sydney Roosters - you can't keep champions down long and 2020 looked like one season too much for the Roosters (mind you they still finished in the top 4). Consistent across the park, with the championship team and a ruthless coach in Robinson, they will be looking to re-gain their title. Don't under-estimate the importance of Radley to this team, if he's fit the whole season they will be back around the top of the ladder. The big circles are around their 7 and the fitness of Cordner, but with the rise of Crichton and Tupouniua in 2020 at least one of those issues is mitigated.

CELLAR DWELLERS
Wests Tigers - this club is honestly a shit show. Maguire seems to have lost the faith of the playing group, players running for the door, back-flipping on deals. Signing James Roberts is a worrying sign. Add to that losing Grant and Marshall, I don't see how Tigers improve on their 2020 season. My favorites for the spoon.

Cronulla Sharks - aeging squad riddled with injuries and players who are past their best taking up massive chunks of the cap. I feel bad for John Morris, he inherited quite a mess but our kind thoughts won't help him in 2021. Didn't beat a single team in the top 8 last year and for good reason.
Very hard to predict right now, so mine will definitely change throughout.
  1. Rabbitohs
  2. Canberra
  3. Penrith
  4. Melbourne
  5. Manly
  6. Eels
  7. Roosters
  8. Titans
  9. Knights
  10. Bulldogs
  11. Warriors
  12. Cowboys
  13. Dragons
  14. Broncos
  15. Tigers
  16. Sharks

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Melbourne Storm
02. Sydney Roosters
03. South Sydney Rabbithos
04. Canberra Raiders
05. Penrith Panthers
06. Parramatta Eels
07. Newcastle Knights
08. Gold Coast Titans

09. North Queensland Cowboys
10. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
11. Cronulla Sharks
12. Brisbane Broncos
14. Wests Tigers
15. New Zealand Warriors
16. St George Illawara Dragons

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

1. Sydney Roosters
2. Canberra Raiders
4. Melbourne Storm
5. Newcastle Knights
6. Penrith Panthers
8. New Zealand Warriors
9. Gold Coast Titans
10. Parramatta Eels
11. Brisbane Broncos
15. Cronulla Sharks
16. Wests Tigers

MAJOR IMPROVERS

FALLEN HEREOS

MAIN DANGERS

CELLAR DWELLERS

Looking back on this, my predictions were either 100% right or 100% wrong :laughing: