Dylan, David and the Dogs: farce or just business?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I usually like articles from op but this one's a little naive.

To think fans who love a club and spend money on it are going to look at this like a business will never happen.

Whatever Klemmer reasons are he didn't really make them public (which is up to him) but he's allowed people to think it's all about money.

And a player coming from a bitter rival isn't going to be welcomed by our fans until he earns that respect (which I'm sure he will in time).

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as people are critical of Dylan Napa, when he missed those weeks at the backend of the season, the Roosters lost a lot of their mongrel. In the grand final against Melbourne, he was excellent. His defence was brutal & his discipline was faultless.
Some players need a change of scenery, I reckon Napa will be the perfect example.
In 5 years I have never seen Klemmer smash someone in a tackle. Napa does it every game

He wont make the yards of Klemmer but the game is 50% defence

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 5 years I have never seen Klemmer smash someone in a tackle. Napa does it every game

My main criticism of Napa watching him over the years is that he sometimes looks like he’s running in slow motion. He’s such a big unit. If only he could run as hard as he tackles.
Also he doesn’t miss many tackles. Hopefully Pay starts him. I know Napa wasn’t happy with his lack of game time under Robinson.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Let the numbers do the talking. Klemmer has scored 4 tries in his entire 6 years with the club!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m glad Klemmer’s finally gone. Not sure about Napa but happy to give him a chance. This is a real ‘backs against the wall’ season for us. Pay is coaching for his future and the uncertainty about how we’ll compete is pissing me off. Can’t wait till it starts.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Exactly.. Premierships are won on defence... Klemmer is great for most of the season, but gets dominated by the better packs, and very rarely gets his own back.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a few things, I’ve held back on heaps, because some people on TK just can’t handle some well informed inside gossip.

I’ve been told I’m a blow arse
I’ve been told I get fed shit
I’ve been told I talk shit
I’ve been threatened that what I say could have legal ramifications on myself and all that jazz

I’m sure there’s hundreds on TK who have inside goss, and I don’t blame them at all for holding their info back, cause they’ll just get smashed.
Pm me the goss. It’s why I’m on here the first place. :grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have lost anything. The only concern with napa is his discipline. It's good he gets fired up, but sometimes needs to channel it differently
Wasn't Klemmer exactly the same?

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Defence isn't just about smashing players though, Klemmer whilst he didn't produce the big hits that people fap over also didn't miss as many tackles and Napa has struggled quite abit with lateral movement especially under fatigue.
As much as I don't mind Napa is actually amazes me that some fans think Napa is somehow a superior player to Klemmer when Klemmer averages 105m a game more than Napa, has a better mis tackle %, less errors, less penalties, more offloads, I mean there is not a single statistical category where Napa is better than Klemmer and to cling on to some hope that Napa would turn into some superhuman player under us is akin to fantasy when you consider how many players have left the roosters and actually improved substantially? Also if I'm being honest we haven't exactly had a good track record with big name signing in recent years

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
how many players have left the roosters and actually improved substantially?
Do you want a list, OK just from memory a few highlights;
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
James Maloney
Joseph Leilua
David Shillington
Sam Perrett (obviously)
George Rose (everyone's favourite)
Anthony Tupou
Justin Hodges
Scott Sattler
Tony Iro
Trevor Gillmeister
The Sorrenson Bros
I should mention the Mozzies old man Steve Morris
One of my favourites to finish on Rod Silva

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I don't mind Napa is actually amazes me that some fans think Napa is somehow a superior player to Klemmer when Klemmer averages 105m a game more than Napa, has a better mis tackle %, less errors, less penalties, more offloads, I mean there is not a single statistical category where Napa is better than Klemmer and to cling on to some hope that Napa would turn into some superhuman player under us is akin to fantasy
As mentioned previously I'm Nappa ambivalent, but of course I hope he works out for us. However I don't think it's remotely fair to compare a player from a team that has plenty of quality around him to another player who basically carries the team, sure not solo but very heavily nonetheless. It simply doesn't give a true representation of what they can do when placed in a similar situation. I don't for a second believe that Nappa's numbers wouldn't be much higher playing with us, especially the last 3 years. Hopefully not so much next year as we start to play like a team, not a bunch of individuals.

Go Dogs

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.stuartthomas.com.au/dylan-david-and-the-dogs-farce-or-just-business/

In one of the most long awaited and at times murky deals in recent rugby league history, David Klemmer has signed a lucrative zillion dollar deal with the Knights and Dylan Napa has joined the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on a three year deal.

There appeared to be a rather false impression of secrecy and subterfuge that developed around the entire saga. For the clubs involved, it was never the intention or a requirement that the negotiations be kept a dirty secret, it was more a case of all parties looking for contentment with their net result from the exchange.

The Roosters undoubtedly needed a little more wriggle room under the cap for upcoming seasons, the Knights wanted their man and the Bulldogs were not going to let Klemmer loose until they were happy with the terms of the deal.

Sadly, the media take a completely different approach to such situations and a hotbed of rumour and innuendo had the journos in a lather over the last month. The Daily Telegraph was particularly noticeable in its orgasmic excitement, potentially deflecting attention away from some of the issues that lay nearer the hearts of certain employees.

In essence, it became something of a farce. However, in all the calls I made to the Canterbury and Newcastle representatives with a role to play in the negotiations, there was never anything but professionalism and due process on their minds.

As the general public lamented the loss of meaning associated with a modern day contract, club loyalty was questioned and the inevitable and hypothetical family reasons behind Klemmer’s decision were irresponsibly presented, the root causes behind the entire situation became somewhat blurred.

Money, family, salary cap ramifications and a fracturing of trust were all incorrectly flung about recklessly in the media. Whilst all serious considerations in modern football, none were the catalyst for the drama that has unfolded over the last four weeks.

In truth, the Bulldog and New South Wales champion had a set of issues that developed with his former manager and the signing of a new four year deal complicated that situation. Despite the best efforts of the club and the manager in question, Klemmer remained frustrated with a situation to which he saw no solution other than a severing of ties with the club he once loved and bled for.

Social media exploded today with the news of the deal finally made public and both players are now able to settle into their new digs. Some of the online vitriol as been unfair to all parties. Many Bulldog fans have vented fury at Klemmer for leaving the place to which he committed publicly some years back, whilst others are happy to farewell a person they perceive to be a traitor.

More alarming has been some of the doomsday predictions for Napa upon his arrival at the club. If ever a player deserved a fair chance it is the 26 year old. Not only will he now need to adjust to a new club and culture, he will face the considerable passion of the Bulldogs’ faithful; some of whom, will dislike him right from the start.

In reality, any assessments of either player are doomed to be unfair. The realities of modern professional sport have once again created a murky and distasteful tale that will be repeated no doubt, time and time again. The toll on the actual people involved is disrespectful and destructive.

David Klemmer is a good man, yet somewhat confused by contractual and professional dilemmas that have been sadly interpreted as a slight on his credibility. Dylan Napa is a respected representative player to whom the Roosters were happy to wave goodbye and cut adrift.

Whatever your take on the situation, I can assure you that much of it is nonsense, some of it is lies and part of it is disturbingly biased. Truth be told, this was business. Ugly, professional sporting business yes, but still business.

The Knights will be chuffed with their new signing and the Roosters will no doubt have a big announcement in the next 18 months off the back of the money they have saved by releasing Napa.

The Dogs stand to be the big losers unless they are able to move forward. David Klemmer is gone, likely never to return. Dylan Napa is a Bulldog.

Rather than lament the past, it might be time for the Bulldog fans to realise that the new signing’s middle name is Hercules and the Bulldogs could use a bit of that strength in 2019.
I'm not trying to be a troll here, but your articles are really long and full of words, but don't ever actually say anything the reader doesn't already know or wouldn't be able to figure out on their own.

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know a few things, I’ve held back on heaps, because some people on TK just can’t handle some well informed inside gossip.

I’ve been told I’m a blow arse
I’ve been told I get fed shit
I’ve been told I talk shit
I’ve been threatened that what I say could have legal ramifications on myself and all that jazz

I’m sure there’s hundreds on TK who have inside goss, and I don’t blame them at all for holding their info back, cause they’ll just get smashed.
Can u pm I’d love to know the truth behind all this. Tight lips here

Altair

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.stuartthomas.com.au/dylan-david-and-the-dogs-farce-or-just-business/

In one of the most long awaited and at times murky deals in recent rugby league history, David Klemmer has signed a lucrative zillion dollar deal with the Knights and Dylan Napa has joined the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on a three year deal.

There appeared to be a rather false impression of secrecy and subterfuge that developed around the entire saga. For the clubs involved, it was never the intention or a requirement that the negotiations be kept a dirty secret, it was more a case of all parties looking for contentment with their net result from the exchange.

The Roosters undoubtedly needed a little more wriggle room under the cap for upcoming seasons, the Knights wanted their man and the Bulldogs were not going to let Klemmer loose until they were happy with the terms of the deal.

Sadly, the media take a completely different approach to such situations and a hotbed of rumour and innuendo had the journos in a lather over the last month. The Daily Telegraph was particularly noticeable in its orgasmic excitement, potentially deflecting attention away from some of the issues that lay nearer the hearts of certain employees.

In essence, it became something of a farce. However, in all the calls I made to the Canterbury and Newcastle representatives with a role to play in the negotiations, there was never anything but professionalism and due process on their minds.

As the general public lamented the loss of meaning associated with a modern day contract, club loyalty was questioned and the inevitable and hypothetical family reasons behind Klemmer’s decision were irresponsibly presented, the root causes behind the entire situation became somewhat blurred.

Money, family, salary cap ramifications and a fracturing of trust were all incorrectly flung about recklessly in the media. Whilst all serious considerations in modern football, none were the catalyst for the drama that has unfolded over the last four weeks.

In truth, the Bulldog and New South Wales champion had a set of issues that developed with his former manager and the signing of a new four year deal complicated that situation. Despite the best efforts of the club and the manager in question, Klemmer remained frustrated with a situation to which he saw no solution other than a severing of ties with the club he once loved and bled for.

Social media exploded today with the news of the deal finally made public and both players are now able to settle into their new digs. Some of the online vitriol as been unfair to all parties. Many Bulldog fans have vented fury at Klemmer for leaving the place to which he committed publicly some years back, whilst others are happy to farewell a person they perceive to be a traitor.

More alarming has been some of the doomsday predictions for Napa upon his arrival at the club. If ever a player deserved a fair chance it is the 26 year old. Not only will he now need to adjust to a new club and culture, he will face the considerable passion of the Bulldogs’ faithful; some of whom, will dislike him right from the start.

In reality, any assessments of either player are doomed to be unfair. The realities of modern professional sport have once again created a murky and distasteful tale that will be repeated no doubt, time and time again. The toll on the actual people involved is disrespectful and destructive.

David Klemmer is a good man, yet somewhat confused by contractual and professional dilemmas that have been sadly interpreted as a slight on his credibility. Dylan Napa is a respected representative player to whom the Roosters were happy to wave goodbye and cut adrift.

Whatever your take on the situation, I can assure you that much of it is nonsense, some of it is lies and part of it is disturbingly biased. Truth be told, this was business. Ugly, professional sporting business yes, but still business.

The Knights will be chuffed with their new signing and the Roosters will no doubt have a big announcement in the next 18 months off the back of the money they have saved by releasing Napa.

The Dogs stand to be the big losers unless they are able to move forward. David Klemmer is gone, likely never to return. Dylan Napa is a Bulldog.

Rather than lament the past, it might be time for the Bulldog fans to realise that the new signing’s middle name is Hercules and the Bulldogs could use a bit of that strength in 2019.
My take on what you are alluding to is that when klemmer signed his 4 year deal directly with the club, he somehow was still contractually/legally signed to previous manager and therefore as long as he stayed at BD's under that contract the old manager would get a cut. Is that what you are saying?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defence isn't just about smashing players though, Klemmer whilst he didn't produce the big hits that people fap over also didn't miss as many tackles and Napa has struggled quite abit with lateral movement especially under fatigue.
As much as I don't mind Napa is actually amazes me that some fans think Napa is somehow a superior player to Klemmer when Klemmer averages 105m a game more than Napa, has a better mis tackle %, less errors, less penalties, more offloads, I mean there is not a single statistical category where Napa is better than Klemmer and to cling on to some hope that Napa would turn into some superhuman player under us is akin to fantasy when you consider how many players have left the roosters and actually improved substantially? Also if I'm being honest we haven't exactly had a good track record with big name signing in recent years
Agree with all that.

The only better points for Napa are that he generally puts more fear into the opposition and he can lift teams with his big hits, especially in important moments (which Klemmer doesn't do). Hopefully he does that, which for starters means staying on the field. Fingers crossed but I can't say I'm confident.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did the Knights illegally plant the seed in the head of a contracted player?

Reactions: DT

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said it a while ago and stand by it, Klemmer is not a massive loss and has probably done us a huge favour.
He can take his one dimensional boring game to the home of boring, Newcastle... good riddance i say