Dylan, David and the Dogs: farce or just business?

Stuart Thomas

Waterboy
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.stuartthomas.com.au/dylan-david-and-the-dogs-farce-or-just-business/

In one of the most long awaited and at times murky deals in recent rugby league history, David Klemmer has signed a lucrative zillion dollar deal with the Knights and Dylan Napa has joined the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on a three year deal.

There appeared to be a rather false impression of secrecy and subterfuge that developed around the entire saga. For the clubs involved, it was never the intention or a requirement that the negotiations be kept a dirty secret, it was more a case of all parties looking for contentment with their net result from the exchange.

The Roosters undoubtedly needed a little more wriggle room under the cap for upcoming seasons, the Knights wanted their man and the Bulldogs were not going to let Klemmer loose until they were happy with the terms of the deal.

Sadly, the media take a completely different approach to such situations and a hotbed of rumour and innuendo had the journos in a lather over the last month. The Daily Telegraph was particularly noticeable in its orgasmic excitement, potentially deflecting attention away from some of the issues that lay nearer the hearts of certain employees.

In essence, it became something of a farce. However, in all the calls I made to the Canterbury and Newcastle representatives with a role to play in the negotiations, there was never anything but professionalism and due process on their minds.

As the general public lamented the loss of meaning associated with a modern day contract, club loyalty was questioned and the inevitable and hypothetical family reasons behind Klemmer’s decision were irresponsibly presented, the root causes behind the entire situation became somewhat blurred.

Money, family, salary cap ramifications and a fracturing of trust were all incorrectly flung about recklessly in the media. Whilst all serious considerations in modern football, none were the catalyst for the drama that has unfolded over the last four weeks.

In truth, the Bulldog and New South Wales champion had a set of issues that developed with his former manager and the signing of a new four year deal complicated that situation. Despite the best efforts of the club and the manager in question, Klemmer remained frustrated with a situation to which he saw no solution other than a severing of ties with the club he once loved and bled for.

Social media exploded today with the news of the deal finally made public and both players are now able to settle into their new digs. Some of the online vitriol as been unfair to all parties. Many Bulldog fans have vented fury at Klemmer for leaving the place to which he committed publicly some years back, whilst others are happy to farewell a person they perceive to be a traitor.

More alarming has been some of the doomsday predictions for Napa upon his arrival at the club. If ever a player deserved a fair chance it is the 26 year old. Not only will he now need to adjust to a new club and culture, he will face the considerable passion of the Bulldogs’ faithful; some of whom, will dislike him right from the start.

In reality, any assessments of either player are doomed to be unfair. The realities of modern professional sport have once again created a murky and distasteful tale that will be repeated no doubt, time and time again. The toll on the actual people involved is disrespectful and destructive.

David Klemmer is a good man, yet somewhat confused by contractual and professional dilemmas that have been sadly interpreted as a slight on his credibility. Dylan Napa is a respected representative player to whom the Roosters were happy to wave goodbye and cut adrift.

Whatever your take on the situation, I can assure you that much of it is nonsense, some of it is lies and part of it is disturbingly biased. Truth be told, this was business. Ugly, professional sporting business yes, but still business.

The Knights will be chuffed with their new signing and the Roosters will no doubt have a big announcement in the next 18 months off the back of the money they have saved by releasing Napa.

The Dogs stand to be the big losers unless they are able to move forward. David Klemmer is gone, likely never to return. Dylan Napa is a Bulldog.

Rather than lament the past, it might be time for the Bulldog fans to realise that the new signing’s middle name is Hercules and the Bulldogs could use a bit of that strength in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like it but at least post the first paragraph then link otherwise people aren't going to follow through.

Hercules Napa. Stripper name.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don't think we have lost anything. The only concern with napa is his discipline. It's good he gets fired up, but sometimes needs to channel it differently

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we have lost anything. The only concern with napa is his discipline. It's good he gets fired up, but sometimes needs to channel it differently
Klemmer was the same and still blows up. But totally agree.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just heard klemmer on 9 and he hasnt spoken to pay at all and only txt a couple of players,i really think behind the scenes there were some problems,sounds like he wasn’t getting on with anyone at the club

Reactions: DT

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just heard klemmer on 9 and he hasnt spoken to pay at all and only txt a couple of players,i really think behind the scenes there were some problems,sounds like he wasn’t getting on with anyone at the club
I know a few things, I’ve held back on heaps, because some people on TK just can’t handle some well informed inside gossip.

I’ve been told I’m a blow arse
I’ve been told I get fed shit
I’ve been told I talk shit
I’ve been threatened that what I say could have legal ramifications on myself and all that jazz

I’m sure there’s hundreds on TK who have inside goss, and I don’t blame them at all for holding their info back, cause they’ll just get smashed.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was all 100% about money, and his wife wanting to move closer to her sister.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Klemmer is pussy whipped and always will be.

***** a glorfied handbag.
I think its that and more very unusual to only have contacted 2 players and not a word to the coach i think theres more to it hence why the club was happy for him to leave

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know a few things, I’ve held back on heaps, because some people on TK just can’t handle some well informed inside gossip.

I’ve been threatened that what I say could have legal ramifications on myself and all that jazz

I’m sure there’s hundreds on TK who have inside goss, and I don’t blame them at all for holding their info back, cause they’ll just get smashed.
Yes the abuse some do on here is pathetic and not necessary,most are good people but some need to get their hand off their dicks and grow up

Reactions: DT

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Inbox me

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hercules?...……. so his parents are retarded too

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its that and more very unusual to only have contacted 2 players and not a word to the coach i think theres more to it hence why the club was happy for him to leave
Agree. Really shows his lack of maturity and lack of balls

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can’t be bothered reading an article that’s way too bias and playing on people’s emotions and political stances.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That’s a real shame whisperer.
We all come here to get info, rant, debate, the whole lot.

We will have different opinions but that’s life, and anyone who want to unload on someone who is giving up some goss he heard is an absolute arse. Most of us enjoy that. It’s a pity a few hold you back but it’s understandable. I personally would love to hear more.

My view, we paid overs for a player we didn’t need. He’s rash and will spend time at the judiciary and hence sidelines. Panick buy From Pay who I’m fast losing faith in. We aren’t winning a comp next year with or without Napa. We needed a gun centre or fullback, plus a good half as unfortunately I think Foran will go down again.... not a forward who are a dime a dozen...

Klemmer?? Fuck her, yep, fuck that little bitch. Her real character has come out. Worst thing we ever did was buy his other woman Sharon Woods. Killed this little whiny ct. Hope that knee of his that’s always heavily strapped holds out for another 5 years...