Dumb Dogs

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I was concerned after watching that presser. He said Okunbor was close to our best ? If that claim in anywhere near the truth then our players aren't performing well enough. Why don't our firsts pass as good as our Reggie team can ? Why isn't Burton kicking bombs high like he was last year. He said in a pre-season interview he can kick even higher now. If there were a fumble or 2 from his kicks it could have made the difference in winning that game.
Maybe that’s Ciro’s point: to embarrass the 1st graders that HMAS Knockonbur was one of the best performers out there…what the fuck were they doing

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I explained why

He can cover back row and 1-5 so it’s needed in the HIA era
Let’s agree to disagree. The thought of HMAS Knockonbur at FB almost put me in the foetal position

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Alls that’s means is he’s saying Johnson had a sicc game only

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He never made the field my bro.

He shouldn't even be in FG but we are that thin...

PS this is the third week in a row where we only used 16 players, Knockonmor didn't play last week and Tanner didn't play in round 2.
So CC is trying to build endurance. Maybe also thinks there’ll be little difference playing with 16

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He never made the field my bro.

He shouldn't even be in FG but we are that thin...

PS this is the third week in a row where we only used 16 players, Knockonmor didn't play last week and Tanner didn't play in round 2.
So he is purposely flogging them and making it a bit harder, when we are down on forwards, yet still not using a fresh player on the bench. That guy is picked, sees his mates out on their feet and losing their winning margin as the opposition out score them late in a game but has to just sit there not used...or kinda worse, watch a fumbling winger come on as a forward for 25 mins ...4 runs 18 m and get named by coach as one of the best out there.

Perplexing for mine. But I'm not at training watching the 3 grades :grinning:

Maybe it's gotta be long term thinking... prepared to sacrifice winning now for the long term goal of creating a super resilient hard team down the track.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess today was one of those "trips down the mine" that Gus spoke about at the season launch.....and there will probably be alot more this season

Yeah it frustrates the shit out of me that we lost today but one positive is that we didn't capitulate in the last 10 mins and end up losing by 20 points

Obvious we just don't have the grunt up front at the moment and are playing off the backfoot again, which makes it hard

I see Royce Hunt is off contract this year and he is the type of big bopper we need up front (as well as another big prop)

The real conundrum is Flanno. It's like playing with one hand tied behind your back as he just isn't an attacking threat at all in anything he does

But what's the answer?? It's already been spoken about at length on here and our options seem limited.

I wish BBO wasn't injured, he would have been a genuine option

Gus has often said he's playing the long game and it will take time to turn us around, but it will happen
Yes we need Hunt or NAS unless we're getting Haas which I highly doubt. If I were Gus the deal would be done already

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Prove me wrong.

I'm not even mad at CC, he isn't a miracle worker to transform 17 dumb fucks into a team.
I've been thinking about this post, now the dust has settled after yesterday's cursing and screaming at the TV

I don't think we're stupid so much as lacking an elite "thinking" player. Someone like Cleary or Hynes who clearly see the game at a much higher level. I think Mahoney is the best we have by far. But he's not getting a lot of help. Maybe Oloapu is the answer? I'm feeling it's a question that needs an answer soon

I'm not sure if I posted it or spat the words into my beer, but our strike players are broken play players; Burton, Kikau, JAC, Kiraz (though with his tackle breaks, he does create some of the broken play himself). We play "reactive" footy, not constructed footy. We capitalise on an error or getting a roll on. I'm ok with reactive footy as long as when we need to, we're able to construct something. But we can't seem to, as our strike are looking for broken play that our current pack isn't delivering consistently enough. So we look lost in attack when we have to make up points

I hope KO is the answer, or we find a really clever 7 somewhere. We need to if we want to sing our team song in September

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this post, now the dust has settled after yesterday's cursing and screaming at the TV

I don't think we're stupid so much as lacking an elite "thinking" player. Someone like Cleary or Hynes who clearly see the game at a much higher level. I think Mahoney is the best we have by far. But he's not getting a lot of help. Maybe Oloapu is the answer? I'm feeling it's a question that needs an answer soon

I'm not sure if I posted it or spat the words into my beer, but our strike players are broken play players; Burton, Kikau, JAC, Kiraz (though with his tackle breaks, he does create some of the broken play himself). We play "reactive" footy, not constructed footy. We capitalise on an error or getting a roll on. I'm ok with reactive footy as long as when we need to, we're able to construct something. But we can't seem to, as our strike are looking for broken play that our current pack isn't delivering consistently enough. So we look lost in attack when we have to make up points

I hope KO is the answer, or we find a really clever 7 somewhere. We need to if we want to sing our team song in September
Spot on. We cannot create anything because our halves are pussies who pass way too early and can’t engage defenders and put players into holes and will not dig into the line and play direct to put doubt in defenders on the decoy/half with the ball. We try it, but we cannot execute to it close at all. Burton is all to blame for this. Kikau’s hands are some of the best in the league and we refuse to operate it properly because Burton has no fucking clue what he is doing. We obviously have tried to construct it and we tried it a few times this game, almost worked but JAC knocked the ball on. Its not a coaching issue because we do actually try it and set for those plays when our forwards actually give us some time and space but Burton completely fucks it 99.9% of the time. It was a major rush of blood imo to resign him on big coin deal after a season to which he showed major flaws in important areas

Last edited:

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So CC is trying to build endurance. Maybe also thinks there’ll be little difference playing with 16
I also think it's for endurance. It could work out really well at the back end of the season...or the whole forward pack will be busted and we crash big time. Time will tell.