News Dufty likely to re-sign, Vaughan on the outer

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dufty likely to re-sign, Vaughan on outer
Story from Daily Telegraph

Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan are fighting for their Canterbury futures as they settle into their new club.

The ex-St George Illawarra duo arrived at Belmore after being handed a lifeline by the club after their respective stints at the Dragons ended.

Dufty is the more likely of the two to stay on at Canterbury with the Bulldogs already adding forwards Ryan Sutton and Viliame Kikau for next season which makes it unlikely Vaughan will be able to be kept on behind this year.

The pair headline a host of Canterbury players including Max King, Joe Stimson and Brandon Wakeham off-contract at the end of the season. Injured duo Matt Doorey and Raymond Faitala-Mariner are also free agents.

Dufty has impressed during his first four outings at the Bulldogs. He said he was yet to begin negotiations with the club about extend his stint beyond 12 months.

“I’m loving it here,” Dufty said. “It’s been a fresh start. Just what I needed. I love coming in to training and if we can start winning it will be even better. I want to keep playing good footy and hopefully get some wins. That’s all I want. I just want to put the team first. We’re not too down after the first few weeks.

“It’s a fresh start. I’ve been here for a few months and the boys are good. We’re not too far away from the form we want to find.”

While Dufty, at 26, still has plenty of football left in him, Vaughan is fighting for his NRL future.

He was axed by the Dragons last season with about $1 million left on his deal. The Bulldogs picked him up on a cut-price deal but they may struggle to keep the 30-year-old at the club after this year.

Vaughan said he wanted to sort his future out soon.

“I wanted to come out and play good footy,” Vaughan said. “I’ve got a lot of improvement. Hopefully we get it sorted sooner rather than later. I had a good pre-season and trained well. I don’t think I’ve played to the way I know I can. I have to show it first that I’m capable of playing good footy.”

The Bulldogs face another test against Penrith on Sunday just a week on after they were embarrassed by Melbourne.

Representative winger Josh Addo-Carr is holding firm in his belief of the side.

“I feel like a broken record bra,” Addo-Carr said. “We’re working hard to where we want to be. I see the potential in the footy that we can play. That’s the frustrating thing.”

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Makes sense, especially with Sutton and Kikau coming. Vaughan hasn't done much and has been outperformed by King. Dufty has been good and deserves another short term deal. I just hope he keeps up this form once he re-signs...
Who a short term deal?
Why we assume Dufty is ok with a shirt two year deal?
If he performs he is going to want money and a three year deal. And why not?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As others have said bye bye paul tpj to prop kiks on the edge

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I must say Dufty has been solid and so far has impressed me in a losing team.
He has been our best, almost. Still dreadful in defence though. 1 year deal is ideal, 2 year absolute max.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
TPJ and Sutton as starting props and King and Thompson off the bench is pretty solid

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ and Sutton as starting props and King and Thompson off the bench is pretty solid
Nah, would rather ditch Thommo, Vaughan and RFM. Move Hetho back to the middle and buy an edge rower

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty has been our most likely with the ball in an otherwise ordinary team. As long as it’s not over’s another two years max.

Vaughan hasn’t set the game alight but no middle has.

I thought Vaughan would be a one year deal before the year started. With another year of development for Patolo & Ava seeing them get the nod for 2023 and beyond. Unfortunately Patolo has been poor and gone backwards. With Ava not getting a start. I think it’s more likely Vaughan gets resigned now than before the season started. He has been steady.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Dufty has been our most likely with the ball in an otherwise ordinary team. As long as it’s not over’s another two years max.

Vaughan hasn’t set the game alight but no middle has.

I thought Vaughan would be a one year deal before the year started. With another year of development for Patolo & Ava seeing them get the nod for 2023 and beyond. Unfortunately Patolo has been poor and gone backwards. With Ava not getting a start. I think it’s more likely Vaughan gets resigned now than before the season started. He has been steady.
Again why ‘two years max’.
We won’t re sign him if you all insist on a super short deal for an in form fullback

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Again why ‘two years max’.
We won’t re sign him if you all insist on a super short deal for an in form fullback
it depends on how much he wants and who we have coming through but he has been our best this year.