DROP BEAR HAS LEFT THE BUILDING. - Drop Bear Tribute Thread

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This could be Eels years and if history is anything to go by, every club that got done by NRL for salary cap or any other "unfair" play has won the comp in next 2 years.

For you Pete, I am going for Parra this year (I can't believe i am saying this)

this will put more pressure on dogs management to win the comp next year.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
This could be Eels years and if history is anything to go by, every club that got done by NRL for salary cap or any other "unfair" play has won the comp in next 2 years.

For you Pete, I am going for Parra this year (I can't believe i am saying this)

this will put more pressure on dogs management to win the comp next year.
Back to the glory days Zee - Eels and Dogs decade of dominance.
I can live with that.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just a few jottings today, a wee bit confused but nevertheless heartfelt. .

One year ago we all lost a friend, a great man, a beautiful human being, who inspired us all . Seems like yesterday when he first visited us and appealed for of all things, old bike parts to be used to help build wheelchairs for those less fortunate.After a while he opened up to us to let us in on the Drop Bear story and he forged a strong friendship with one of ours Ed. Wow, such lively conversations we all had and he gave as good as he got. Light hearted and sometimes serious, the banter between people here was always a highlight. My one major regret, never ever being able to meet him face to face, although I was privileged enough to be able to talk, text with him out of the confines of the Kennel.

Last conversation with him was on a lovely sunny day whilst I was doing some canteen duty at school. Got a call from him around 11am and excused myself; we chatted for over 40 minutes. Spoke about what was ahead, both in football and life. He was ever positive and talked of being with family, doing his famous 'renos' and working on organ donation awareness. When I think of that day though, it also takes me back even further to when he spoke with such excitement about the fact he had gone basically top of the list and was seeing for the first time in a long while that he could be around for a time to come. His hopes for Ed and the feeling of kinship with him. Then the calls where he was not doing so well and he could not shake the feeling that he was not going to reach the finish line.Still, in his darkest times he was, when able to, message or call, sometimes lucidly, sometimes a bit garbled.

Then; the calls and the texts stopped, nothing for a time. I was able to reach out to Col to see what was happening and learned that all in fact was not well with Peter at all.

Whilst as a passenger in a car, this day one year ago, at around the middle of the day, my mobile rang but I was not quite quick enough to answer. Checked my messages and the name Col 1EE popped up. Listened to the short message and then phoned him back all the while with that sick feeling that something was not right. Pleasant exchange of greetings and then....." Drop Bear has left the building" was all I had to hear to let me know exactly what had transpired. Tears shed for one who had fought the brave fight, both for himself , his family and for others doing it tough.

My thoughts and prayers go out today and always, to his family and friends who will be dealing with this particular anniversary with a heavy heart ; know that he will always be remembered and loved by us all.

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.

I like to think of the light that was Peter, of his hopes of doing something that would count for others who were on their final chances in bringing the case for organ donation to the fore front. Rest well friend, even though you would say your job was not yet done. Hopefully, at some time we can go a way to fulfilling that dream for you.

I am not a bandwaggoner and could never look to supporting any other side but the Dogs, but if only for Pete's sake it would be nice for the Eels to get there.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're a legend Kaz - means a lot to many people that his memory lives on.
NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS
Pretty sure the old bastard (I am allowed to say this coz we had many discussion on which one of us was the oldest and the bastardest) has had his hand in something else.
As most of you know a few of us have been working behind the scenes for an Organ Donor Awareness round - been a tough battle and eventually we made contact with Richard Gremmo (Nathan Gremmo Jersey Day)
Now I believe at our contest of June 29th Eels v Dogs gave some recognition to this at half time - BUT - Jersey Day this year is Friday 1st September and I have been told the Eels last game of the season proper will include recognition of Organ Donor Awareness through Jersey Day. Ch 9 are supporting as well.

I think this is a fitting end to the season for Drop Bear's effort to get an Awareness round happening and would also suit him because as he said so often - "It is not about me or Tank, it is about getting the word out there to save other people's lives"
Hopefully the ongoing negotiations with the NRL will see a FULL round in the future for Organ Donor Awareness via Jersey Day.
Get behind it people - wear your jerseys or go online and purchase the terrific official Jersey Day jersey.
https://www.facebook.com/events/110713842925964/
I will be wearing my jersey to school very proudly, and as a tribute to Nathan Gremmo and all those that have made a difference to others. I will proudly proclaim the reason too......
Most importantly ( and I hope that Richard will approve) I will think fondly of Peter Walters exactly for the reason you gave......:D

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score

One year ago we all lost a friend, a great man, a beautiful human being, who inspired us all . Seems like yesterday when he first visited us and appealed for of all things, old bike parts to be used to help build wheelchairs for those less fortunate.After a while he opened up to us to let us in on the Drop Bear story and he forged a strong friendship with one of ours Ed. Wow, such lively conversations we all had and he gave as good as he got. Light hearted and sometimes serious, the banter between people here was always a highlight. My one major regret, never ever being able to meet him face to face, although I was privileged enough to be able to talk, text with him out of the confines of the Kennel.

Last conversation with him was on a lovely sunny day whilst I was doing some canteen duty at school. Got a call from him around 11am and excused myself; we chatted for over 40 minutes. Spoke about what was ahead, both in football and life. He was ever positive and talked of being with family, doing his famous 'renos' and working on organ donation awareness. When I think of that day though, it also takes me back even further to when he spoke with such excitement about the fact he had gone basically top of the list and was seeing for the first time in a long while that he could be around for a time to come. His hopes for Ed and the feeling of kinship with him. Then the calls where he was not doing so well and he could not shake the feeling that he was not going to reach the finish line.Still, in his darkest times he was, when able to, message or call, sometimes lucidly, sometimes a bit garbled.

Then; the calls and the texts stopped, nothing for a time. I was able to reach out to Col to see what was happening and learned that all in fact was not well with Peter at all.

Whilst as a passenger in a car, this day one year ago, at around the middle of the day, my mobile rang but I was not quite quick enough to answer. Checked my messages and the name Col 1EE popped up. Listened to the short message and then phoned him back all the while with that sick feeling that something was not right. Pleasant exchange of greetings and then....." Drop Bear has left the building" was all I had to hear to let me know exactly what had transpired. Tears shed for one who had fought the brave fight, both for himself , his family and for others doing it tough.

My thoughts and prayers go out today and always, to his family and friends who will be dealing with this particular anniversary with a heavy heart ; know that he will always be remembered and loved by us all.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ.

I like to think of the light that was Peter, of his hopes of doing something that would count for others who were on their final chances in bringing the case for organ donation to the fore front. Rest well friend, even though you would say your job was not yet done. Hopefully, at some time we can go a way to fulfilling that dream for you.

I am not a bandwaggoner and could never look to supporting any other side but the Dogs, but if only for Pete's sake it would be nice for the Eels to get there.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't have a great deal to do with Drop bear aside from a few pm's, but his generosity of spirit was pretty inspirational. There aren't that many people who care as much about others as far as i can see, much less who will go to great effort to make the lives of others better when they are suffering. The wor

I wish I had your eloquence Dogluva. You write some lovely emotion inspiring posts at times.

I was at the match against the Broncos. It was very crowded but there was an empty seat beside me. If he was still here, he would have been sitting there, but he had a place to watch. It was a fantastic game :grinning: He would have been so chuffed to see the eels in the semifinals. :grinning:
I know it probably doesn't get easier losing someone you love, but he truly did more to make a difference in the world in his last days than most people i know do in a life time. I know that given the lengths he'd go to to help perfect strangers, that his love for you and your family would have been immense. I hope he's emjoying the Eels run right now and that they can lift the trophy this year for his sake. All the best DBJ.

You're a legend Kaz - means a lot to many people that his memory lives on.
NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS
Pretty sure the old bastard (I am allowed to say this coz we had many discussion on which one of us was the oldest and the bastardest) has had his hand in something else.
As most of you know a few of us have been working behind the scenes for an Organ Donor Awareness round - been a tough battle and eventually we made contact with Richard Gremmo (Nathan Gremmo Jersey Day)
Now I believe at our contest of June 29th Eels v Dogs gave some recognition to this at half time - BUT - Jersey Day this year is Friday 1st September and I have been told the Eels last game of the season proper will include recognition of Organ Donor Awareness through Jersey Day. Ch 9 are supporting as well.

I think this is a fitting end to the season for Drop Bear's effort to get an Awareness round happening and would also suit him because as he said so often - "It is not about me or Tank, it is about getting the word out there to save other people's lives"
Hopefully the ongoing negotiations with the NRL will see a FULL round in the future for Organ Donor Awareness via Jersey Day.
Get behind it people - wear your jerseys or go online and purchase the terrific official Jersey Day jersey.
https://www.facebook.com/events/110713842925964/
You are doing a great job with your continued push to get organ donation recognition. I hope this increases the number of potential donors greatly and you deserve some congratulations for your persistence with what seems like it has not been an easy fight. Well done Sir Col.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Alan79. This is not an undertaking I have done alone - we need to recognise @dogluva and @Mr I for their tremendous efforts as well.
WE - the collective WE, would not have made the progress we have without each others support.
I also know there are a few more people whom I haven't met who have been chipping away at this as well.
A team effort my good man.
I just hog the lime light lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@Alan79. This is not an undertaking I have done alone - we need to recognise @dogluva and @Mr I for their tremendous efforts as well.
WE - the collective WE, would not have made the progress we have without each others support.
I also know there are a few more people whom I haven't met who have been chipping away at this as well.
A team effort my good man.
I just hog the lime light lol
You all are good hearted people and I wish you nothing but the best to you and yours.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You all are good hearted people and I wish you nothing but the best to you and yours.

One of the things that makes our efforts worthwhile is you, living proof of the need for active donors to change a life. Another is being able to honour the memory of our friend Peter. Time will come, we just need to keep plugging away.You are the proof that people still exist in this world that put others above themselves.

My thoughts on the matter are that we all will be at the end one day and we will no longer have the use for shall we say, all the bits and pieces we were born with, so why not be able to help those who could benefit in having a better life by becoming a donor?

Unfortunately our school was not an active participant in jersey day, something I will have to try and remedy, however, I took the time to wear my jersey and anyone who commented was told the reason behind it. To a person they were understanding of my reasons and were astounded that the old licence system for recording donor status was gone and that so few truly make the effort to be a donor. I told them about you and the fact that your severely compromised heart was still able to help three children as proof that ANYONE can be considered a suitable donor, even those who are in not so good health or those such as myself who are of a more advanced age. I hope that it makes a difference in some way and they at least all now know the story of young Nathan Gremmo and his family who unselfishly thought of others well being and survival.

My best friend today was rather sheepish, as she is looking down the line at a transplant herself and was not fully aware of what today was. She was quite prepared to go home and get her jersey ( NSW) to wear, but unfortunately time constraints put an end to that. Fortunately, she is still as well as she can be in the circumstances, but knows the time will inevitably come. Positivity as you know, is one of the best things to have as is the support of others. Medicine is slow in getting there but one day things will become easier.

Yesterday was a bit of a downer, but today has been somewhat uplifting in a way.

Keep powering on my friend.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
One of the things that makes our efforts worthwhile is you, living proof of the need for active donors to change a life. Another is being able to honour the memory of our friend Peter. Time will come, we just need to keep plugging away.You are the proof that people still exist in this world that put others above themselves.

My thoughts on the matter are that we all will be at the end one day and we will no longer have the use for shall we say, all the bits and pieces we were born with, so why not be able to help those who could benefit in having a better life by becoming a donor?

Unfortunately our school was not an active participant in jersey day, something I will have to try and remedy, however, I took the time to wear my jersey and anyone who commented was told the reason behind it. To a person they were understanding of my reasons and were astounded that the old licence system for recording donor status was gone and that so few truly make the effort to be a donor. I told them about you and the fact that your severely compromised heart was still able to help three children as proof that ANYONE can be considered a suitable donor, even those who are in not so good health or those such as myself who are of a more advanced age. I hope that it makes a difference in some way and they at least all now know the story of young Nathan Gremmo and his family who unselfishly thought of others well being and survival.

My best friend today was rather sheepish, as she is looking down the line at a transplant herself and was not fully aware of what today was. She was quite prepared to go home and get her jersey ( NSW) to wear, but unfortunately time constraints put an end to that. Fortunately, she is still as well as she can be in the circumstances, but knows the time will inevitably come. Positivity as you know, is one of the best things to have as is the support of others. Medicine is slow in getting there but one day things will become easier.

Yesterday was a bit of a downer, but today has been somewhat uplifting in a way.

Keep powering on my friend.
I couldn't of done without everyone's support. During the last 5 years and torture, family and friends were fighting with me. I will be forever grateful.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thinking of Peter & his family & friends today.

I haven't forgotten.

Still in my thoughts.

Love to all that knew & loved Peter.

Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

Rest In Peace Mate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking of Peter & his family & friends today.

I haven't forgotten.

Still in my thoughts.

Love to all that knew & loved Peter.
Love your work Kaz.
Today is Jersey Day so hopefully everyone will be wearing their favourite sports jersey.
I intended to do a Jersey Day blog but didn't manage to get it done.
NRL never did show much interest in a full Organ Donor Awareness round that Peter had started to try and get happening so the Nathan Gremmo Jersey Day is something I have become involved in to honour Peter and others.
Some people come into our lives and we are far better people for having known them - Peter was one of those people.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
to Me it feels like yesterday he was still here.

I could never understand it?
He was an eels supporter, but had respect,courtesy and consideration.

I always thought he was a bulldogs supporter?
Then one day he let me know he supports parramatta and I was like huh, wtf?
How come you aren’t pissing me off with Jarryd Hayne propaganda and talking up how good the eels are all the time even though they haven’t done anything since 1986?

Judging by his posts that I remember, he struck me as an easy going and down to earth person?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can't believe it's 2 years.....

We lost a top bloke.

I feel guilty that I got to a transplant when he didn't.

Please register as a donor if you aren't and also talk to your loved ones about your decision, no matter if you believe in the afterlife or not, we don't need these meat bags after we pass.