Dressing room politics; second-year syndrome: Question every coach must answer

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From key holes in rosters to the hunters becoming the hunted, every NRL coach has an important question to answer ahead of the 2021 Telstra Premiership race.
Read on for the question every NRL club’s coach must answer.

BULLDOGS - How far can Barrett go in year one?

There’s virtually nowhere to go but up in 2021 for the Bulldogs. Having only avoided the wooden spoon by half a shandy, this season was a nadir for this once feared NRL powerhouse. That’s the bad news. The good news is that in Trent Barrett, Canterbury-Bankstown have a young and promising coach on the rise.

He’s already better for the run, albeit ill-fated, in charge of Manly, where he learned a lot about managing men and managing boardrooms. With a politically charged boardroom like that which gathers in Belmore, he’ll need the experience.

But in between, Barrett re-established himself as one of the best offensive minds in the game. He’s oft-credited with transforming the Panthers attack that bullied its way to the minor premiership and fell just short of the ultimate prize. And the players like him; that you can see so many of the young Penrith stars linked to a Belmore switch tells you everything you need to know on that front.

But as exciting an appointment as Barrett may be, expectations should be tempered in 2021. Barrett is a coach for the long-term, not a quick fix. He must be given time; patience is the watch word west of the Harbour Bridge. Barrett’s goal this season need not be the top eight. Simply, he needs to bring this squad together and find out exactly what this roster is made of. He needs to see a team that works hard, works for one another and buys into his program.

He also needs to develop Kyle Flanagan into their halfback for the future. Some may see his acquisition as a gamble on a young man who experienced a failure to launch at the Roosters. But he’s talented, he’s keen to prove people wrong and he could be the key to Barrett’s future.

Matt Burton is on his way but not until 2022; so too Josh Addo-Carr. Again, patience. The Bulldogs also need to identify and sign a first-class hooker, something which probably won’t happen for another 12 months. As long as they play hard and Flanagan looks like a capable starting half, it’ll be a big tick for Barrett in 2021.

For anyone interested in reading the rest of the article, click the link below :grinning:

Last edited:

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From key holes in rosters to the hunters becoming the hunted, every NRL coach has an important question to answer ahead of the 2021 Telstra Premiership race.

There’s virtually nowhere to go up in 2021 for the Bulldogs. Having only avoided the wooden spoon by half a shandy, this season was a nadir for this once feared NRL powerhouse. That’s the bad news. The good news is that in Trent Barrett, Canterbury-Bankstown have a young and promising coach on the rise.

He’s already better for the run, albeit ill-fated, in charge of Manly, where he learned a lot about managing men and managing boardrooms. With a politically charged boardroom like that which gathers in Belmore, he’ll need the experience.

But in between, Barrett re-established himself as one of the best offensive minds in the game. He’s oft-credited with transforming the Panthers attack that bullied its way to the minor premiership and fell just short of the ultimate prize. And the players like him; that you can see so many of the young Penrith stars linked to a Belmore switch tells you everything you need to know on that front.

But as exciting an appointment as Barrett may be, expectations should be tempered in 2021. Barrett is a coach for the long-term, not a quick fix. He must be given time; patience is the watch word west of the Harbour Bridge. Barrett’s goal this season need not be the top eight. Simply, he needs to bring this squad together and find out exactly what this roster is made of. He needs to see a team that works hard, works for one another and buys into his program.

He also needs to develop Kyle Flanagan into their halfback for the future. Some may see his acquisition as a gamble on a young man who experienced a failure to launch at the Roosters. But he’s talented, he’s keen to prove people wrong and he could be the key to Barrett’s future.

Matt Burton is on his way but not until 2022; so too Josh Addo-Carr. Again, patience. The Bulldogs also need to identify and sign a first-class hooker, something which probably won’t happen for another 12 months. As long as they play hard and Flanagan looks like a capable starting half, it’ll be a big tick for Barrett in 2021.

For anyone interested in reading the rest of the article, click the link below :grinning:

Nope happy with just reading the Vulldogs thanks Vlasnik

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very low expectarions set for 2021. Defintely confident of a top 8 finish but time will tell. Agree that we will need a better hooker to do some real damage.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy if we can enter the opposition 20m zone and make a genuine attempt to breach their defensive line..

If that's the only improvement I see in 2021, that will do for me...

I cannot tolerate seeing this team burn sets of 6 in prime attacking territory, without putting any strain of the opposition..

No more of the 5 mindless hit-ups by forwards and then a rubbish kick (or no kick at all)..

I would love to see our halves play some eyes up footy. I lost track of the amount of times that a winger would rush in to shut down a play and the halves never once had the foresight to kick in behind them.. even if the kick was not executed properly, at least it would of kept the defense In 2 minds for the next raid..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good summation, especially the bit about our politically charged board.

Realistic in its suggestion that top eight should not be the goal, but forming a team that will take us to a future GF. Demanding a top eight spot is more in the realm of politics than forging a team. It leads to sackings for one poor performance, and rolling team changes that don't allow cohesion to develop, and delivered us the disasters of the past few seasons.

Let's build a team first, then go after the top eight, top four, and minor premiership.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we land a decent 9 and JAC next year there’s no reason we can’t be close to the top 8.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s all about improvement for mine. It would be nice to winning more then we lose but realistically we aren’t winning the competition or even making the 8 is a step too far for the current roster. Personal player and team development is a non-negotiationable and it’s the most important thing I want to see.

2021 is all about setting down the fundamentals for long term success and it’s going to take time to perfect it.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good summation, especially the bit about our politically charged board.

Realistic in its suggestion that top eight should not be the goal, but forming a team that will take us to a future GF. Demanding a top eight spot is more in the realm of politics than forging a team. It leads to sackings for one poor performance, and rolling team changes that don't allow cohesion to develop, and delivered us the disasters of the past few seasons.

Let's build a team first, then go after the top eight, top four, and minor premiership.
What about a premiership. Thats important too......

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be happy if we don't loose games because
1/ we don't have a plan in attack,
2/ because we're unfit or
3/ because players are playing out of position

- all things that happened each and every week under Pay and Georgalis. Also if we lose games I never want to hear the excuse again that they're a young team but learning (so are many players in every team)

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

There’s virtually nowhere to go but up in 2021 for the Bulldogs. Having only avoided the wooden spoon by half a shandy, this season was a nadir for this once feared NRL powerhouse. That’s the bad news. The good news is that in Trent Barrett, Canterbury-Bankstown have a young and promising coach on the rise.

A very reasonable assumption...
Don't ever forget good teams on paper doesn't always win games,
Our club has achieved great results with a lot weaker rosters.
Success comes from unity belief and always aiming to the summit !!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't want to go into a game expecting a loss like the last 3 fkn years.

I don't want to fluke wins or only win when the other team is having an off night.
Learning and improving from the loses is the key. That simply didn’t happen over the last few years it was the same rubbish over and over again hoping things would magically change.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be happy if we can enter the opposition 20m zone and make a genuine attempt to breach their defensive line..

If that's the only improvement I see in 2021, that will do for me...

I cannot tolerate seeing this team burn sets of 6 in prime attacking territory, without putting any strain of the opposition..

No more of the 5 mindless hit-ups by forwards and then a rubbish kick (or no kick at all)..

I would love to see our halves play some eyes up footy. I lost track of the amount of times that a winger would rush in to shut down a play and the halves never once had the foresight to kick in behind them.. even if the kick was not executed properly, at least it would of kept the defense In 2 minds for the next raid..
Flanagan and Hetherington for Lewis and Tolman will make the world of difference inside the 20. Add in Cotric and I'm certain you're wish is coming true. Plus a few more improvements coming I reckon - for a bit of cream on top.